Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-13-08, 09:18 PM   #1
kcy29581

Question Do 9700M/9800M NVIDIA (or latest ATI) drivers exist?

Hi all,

I am about to buy two laptops that have the NVIDIA 9700M GTS graphics card (I'm thinking about the Toshiba Qosmio F55). I will install Ubuntu on these machines and World of Warcraft as well.

However, after browsing NVIDIA's site, I cannot seem to find where to download the drivers for the NVIDIA 9M mobile graphics cards! After some googling I have found that ATI also have no drivers on their site for their latest mobile graphics cards, the Mobility 3000 series

Do these drivers exist at all? Is it not possible to get 3D graphics with the latest NVIDIA and ATI mobile graphics cards?

Also, this knowledgebase article does not look good...

Thanks

P.S. Please, unless you know the answer 100%, do not try and "state" what you think is the correct answer. I have had people direct me to the desktop GPU drivers and claim that Ubuntu automatically installs these drivers, which I honestly doubt.
kcy29581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-08, 01:07 AM   #2
energyman76b

Default Re: Do 9700M/9800M NVIDIA (or latest ATI) drivers exist?

why not google a bit? looks like the ati 3000 mobility series is supported.

One of the bad things of the ati driver: the readmes and help files are completly out of date.
energyman76b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-08, 02:14 AM   #3
jcornwall

The 9700M isn't listed in the 173.14.12 or 177.13 readme, which is kept quite up-to-date.

I'd guess drivers will appear very soon (the 9300M, 9500M and 9600M are supported) but it's not supported yet.
jcornwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-08, 11:04 AM   #4
Big P

Quote:
One of the bad things of the ati driver: the readmes and help files are completly out of date.
One? He also won't be playing WoW given the horrible support for wine in fglrx, and the OSS drivers are way off that kind of support (which wouldn't match fglrx at its peak anyway).
Big P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-08, 11:22 AM   #5
energyman76b

blame wine for being a horrible piece of software that does more harm than it does good.
energyman76b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-08, 12:12 PM   #6
pawels133

Quote:
Originally Posted by energyman76b View Post
blame wine for being a horrible piece of software that does more harm than it does good.
Exactly (but WINE is not so bad ). Btw. WINE does not support Ati very well.
Old 08-14-08, 12:41 PM   #7
pe1chl

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawels133 View Post
Exactly (but WINE is not so bad ). Btw. WINE does not support Ati very well.
Oh, but that cannot be a problem because WINE is open source so you can fix it!
(just like the perfect driver that you will write when nvidia releases the specifications of their cards)
pe1chl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-08, 12:50 PM   #8
pawels133

Quote:
Originally Posted by pe1chl View Post
Oh, but that cannot be a problem because WINE is open source so you can fix it!
(just like the perfect driver that you will write when nvidia releases the specifications of their cards)
You sound like a child . I won't tell you anything about OS advantages, because person who writes such idiotic comment is just too stupid to understand anything (maybe almost anything).

Old 08-14-08, 01:55 PM   #9
Big P

Quote:
Originally Posted by energyman76b View Post
Yeah Mr. Stall-, I mean energyman! You're right. We should boycott all those windows applications that don't have a Linux alternative! Especially the one's we already paid for and the ones that our jobs rely on. Because I'd rather be unemployed than use windows software in linux! That'll show 'em.

By the way pawels113, you keep repeating your mantra about open source software being the solution to everything, and then just resort to telling people that they're too stupid to understand why. Yet the open source Intel drivers still suffer from tearing with textured video. Amazing how that worked out.
Big P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-08, 04:13 PM   #10
pawels133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big P View Post
Yeah Mr. Stall-, I mean energyman! You're right. We should boycott all those windows applications that don't have a Linux alternative! Especially the one's we already paid for and the ones that our jobs rely on. Because I'd rather be unemployed than use windows software in linux! That'll show 'em.

By the way pawels113, you keep repeating your mantra about open source software being the solution to everything, and then just resort to telling people that they're too stupid to understand why. Yet the open source Intel drivers still suffer from tearing with textured video. Amazing how that worked out.
Last time I explained you what I mean. That you are saying about intel here means that you still don't understand what I was talking about.

---------------- (it doesn't make sense what some people are writting f.e. pe1chl and if someone is a little smarter than those people he shouldn't even mention about Intel OS drivers here or Open Source development model, because we're talking about something else). But...

Intel's tearing (what will be fixed in next release) is nothing compared to nvidia problems in their closed blobs.
Old 08-14-08, 04:23 PM   #11
pe1chl

But mister clever, how can you explain that a program like wine, after being in open source development for 15 years, still has major problems?
That does not correlate with your idea that anything open source will be fixed by the hordes of voluntary programmers in the next release.
With supporting ATI that is even stranger, because those are supposed to be the good guys.

I think you have to admit that things do not always work the way you would like to see it, even though you are so much smarter than everyone else...
pe1chl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-08, 04:28 PM   #12
pawels133

Quote:
Originally Posted by pe1chl View Post
But mister clever, how can you explain that a program like wine, after being in open source development for 15 years, still has major problems?
That does not correlate with your idea that anything open source will be fixed by the hordes of voluntary programmers in the next release.
With supporting ATI that is even stranger, because those are supposed to be the good guys.

I think you have to admit that things do not always work the way you would like to see it, even though you are so much smarter than everyone else...
Wine devs don't have windows specifications :> I have to admit that OS works the best.

PS. Wine devs had to 'introduce' windows bugs to make some apps work.

PS.2 I don't consider that you're stupid (yeah, I wrote smarter than you but it should be targeted only to your above post) etc. just sometimes people write crap, me too of course.