Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-14-08, 09:06 PM   #1
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Default Report: PC, Xbox 360 Dominate Game Development

According to the 2008 Game Development Survey, a new 180-page report from Game Developer Research that questions nearly 2,000 developers from North America and elsewhere (mostly Europe), the PC still rules the development roost. 70 percent of those surveyed said they are making games for the PC/Mac, compared to 43 percent who are making console games, 28 percent who are making games for web platforms and 16 percent who are making portable games (DS, PSP).

Interestingly, on the console front, console developers seem to show a preference for Microsoft's Xbox 360. 73 percent are creating games for 360, 58 percent (including some of the same respondents) for PS3, and 42 percent for the Wii. 15 percent are also still creating games for the PS2. "This implies that the greatest amount of Western console developers by sheer numbers are creating games for Microsoft's console-- but due to team size differences, this doesn't necessarily imply that more games will appear on the Xbox 360 than other consoles," explained Game Developer Research.

In terms of portables, of those developers making handheld games, 75 percent said they are creating games for the Nintendo DS compared to 45 percent for the PSP – not too surprising considering the massive installed base of the DS.

The rest of the report delves into trends in programming language, purchasing habits and development choices regarding tools, game engines, etc. The report is selling for the price of $2,495 at the Game Developer Research website.

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/ne...e-development/
Old 08-15-08, 12:49 AM   #2
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero
Default Re: Report: PC, Xbox 360 Dominate Game Development

Last I read, the 360 sells software like a naked supermodel would on a street corner, so this is no surprise.

I am surprised to see the PC up there, but I guess when you count all the different kinds of PC games that exist, from BioShock to Flash games, it's no surprise after all.
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-08, 03:54 AM   #3
Noriega
你妈妈喜欢的阴茎

You will never win with people lack of wisdom and blind believing in stereotypes shouting hollow slogans.

http://kotaku.com/5037023/more-devel...box-360-titles

You can see web based games: 28%
Even if we say that those are developers that are making web based games only.

So it's 42% from those 70% and it's still more than 73% from 42% of developers that are making Xbox 360 games.
Old 08-15-08, 06:32 AM   #4
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
Last I read, the 360 sells software like a naked supermodel would on a street corner, so this is no surprise.

I am surprised to see the PC up there, but I guess when you count all the different kinds of PC games that exist, from BioShock to Flash games, it's no surprise after all.
Quote:
28 percent who are making games for web platforms