Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 200 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-15-08, 10:08 PM   #133
Rollo

Default Re: NVIDIA says it will win back performance leadership this year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinz68 View Post
Yes it is the SAME fud you keep repeatedly posting.
Yet you can't seem to refute any of it.

Quote:
About the drivers I can show you some links where NVIDIA has MORE than fair share of problems. And you don't need to look too far.
NVIDIA driver problems don't have anything to do with whether the ATi ones I listed are true. (and they are)

Quote:
About drivers and profiles for new games, ATI same like NVIDIA works with developers even before the games are introduced.
Then why does it take so long for some games to get CF profiles?
http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/12...ysis_xp_vista/
How long was COH out before this driver gave an 80% increase in CF performance on 10/16/07? Oh yeah, it had only launched 11 months earlier in 2006.

Quote:
About microstutter on HD 4870 x2, only the NVIDIA fanboys who never had the card are reporting it as a problem. Ask the real owners about it.
Note my other post referencing Apoppin at AT, and here's another from Nitromullet wherein he graphs his 4870X2s microstutter:
http://steelforest.net/video/4870X2-GTX280.htm
Maybe you should change that to "Only people wishing to sell 4870X2s sweep microstutter under the rug and pretend CF= single card. Note the nice (comparatively) flat line of the GTX280s frame rendering.

Quote:
About much higher cost, even after NVIDIA was forced to reduce the price shortly after introduction the actual suggested price difference is only $50. GTX 280 suggested price after reduction $499, ATI HD 4870 X2 $549.
True the 280 can be purchased for even less while the 4870 x2 hold the price steady after one month on the market. Well I let you GUESS why. But sure the reason is not all the problems with the card you have without having one.
Do I need to have a card to know it's problems these days? Anyway- I have GTX280 SLi- what would I do with a X2?

Quote:
About the physX, physics was here before both by NVIDIA and ATI if it works this time I'm sure NVidia would fast welcome ATI to use the same or ATI might develop with INTEL different solution, for now it's all just speculation.
There's no speculation, I love what PhysX does to games, and I know there's a bunch more coming out. Even ATis Richard Huddy acknowledged in a recent interview that NVIDIA is helping bring this to market.

Quote:
About stereoscopic monitor, I wonder how many people will buy next year such monitor, are you? Wasn't that also here before like the 3D glasses. Anyway if it will become relevant I'm sure ATI will also have it.
I will be doing the stereoscopic most likely- loved the glasses that came with my GF4, except for the CRT induced headache. The 120MHz LCDs will solve this.
You can't be sure ATi will do anything with this, AFAIK, they have no plans whatsoever to implement this. If you've ever seen the effect, you know just how a huge a difference this makes.

Quote:
Finally the heading of this tread is:"NVIDIA says it will win back performance leadership this year"
Just responding to a post.

Quote:
Now if your post was not a fud why would NVIDIA even bother? The funny thing is NVIDIA will most likely also need to have GX2 card in order to compete after they improve on the sandwich design.
What do FUD, my post, and NVIDIA have to do with one another? I've backed every single thing I posted, added more, and no one has (or can) refute what I say. In my book, that makes you the people spreading FUD- not the guy with links and facts.

Rig 2:
intel 2500K + NVIDIA GTX590 + Dell 3007 WFPHC

[SIZE="1"]NVIDIA Focus Group Member
[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-08, 10:18 PM   #134
Xion X2

I'm not going to defend everything ATI considering this is an Nvidia forum, but there are a couple of things that need to be set straight in order not to mislead others who care something about the truth.

A lot of the things that Rollo mentions are true, but he overexaggerates them to the nth degree.

For example,

1) - Is there microstutter on the 4870X2? Yes. There is. But what he fails to mention is that it's evident.. hmm.. about 2% of actual gameplay. The card is so strong, even at 1920x, that you will almost never see it drop below 45-50fps even with 8xAA enabled. I have noticed microstuttering in two games so far: Lost Planet and Crysis--both in DX10. Lost Planet had about 30 enemies on the screen at once with full DX10 effects (except for motion blur) including the fur shader and snow drifts. And it still only bottomed out to 35fps or so. Crysis was set to all Very High with 4xAA.

In other words, it takes a hell of a lot to push the card hard enough to where you will begin to see this problem rear its head. And it's still not terrible. Noticeable? Yes. But not terrible by any means. You get a little more lag than you would on a single GPU in the same situation.

What I find amusing, however, is that Rollo is shouting "microstuttering! microstuttering!" from the rooftops while owning an SLI setup that suffers from the same problems. So it's evident that he's using it only in the context best served to slam ATI. He himself cares nothing about it.. otherwise he wouldn't own an SLI setup. It makes both his posts and his mindset easy to see through.

2) - As far as Crossfile vs. SLI profiles are concerned, I have yet to see this pose a real issue. I've tested over 20 games on 4-series Crossfire so far, and all but two scaled tremendously. Witcher did not, and Two Worlds did not. Witcher already ran at 70+ fps on a single GPU, so it was a non-issue. Two Worlds ran poor on both a single GPU and Crossfire, so it was quite clear that it was a general driver issue and not unique to Crossfire.

3) - As for AA application in games, again, a non-issue for the most part. The only game so far out of 20+ that I've had problems with applying AA is Bioshock in DX10. For the rest, the edge-detect function works great for overriding in-game AA options. It's possible that he's simply misunderstanding how ATI's driver AA functions. It does not overwrite in-game options in the same way that Nvidia's does; it uses the edge-detect filter to enhance the in-game AA setting. If you don't set the filter to edge-detect, then no, you will not be able to receive enhanced AA. But that's not the fault of ATI; that's the fault of the user for not knowing how to operate a driver. When it's used properly, the edge-detect filter allows for a 24xAA application which is higher than anything you can get on an Nvidia platform without using a 3rd party tool like NHancer.

4) - As for those who own Crossfire not wanting to buy a 4870X2? I would say he's talking straight out of his crack on this one. Most guys I know with Crossfire setups are drooling over this card and the performance it offers.

I owned 4870s in Crossfire before my current setup, and a single 4870X2 works every bit as well as 4870s in Crossfire did. Anyone who claims it won't work as well is perpetuating a myth. Nothing more.

As a closer, I welcome any Nvidia SLI owner on this forum to bench their setup against mine to see just how well Crossfire really scales in the majority of games vs. SLI. I even started a thread for it over here but have gotten no replies thus far:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=119059

The only prerequisite I would ask is that you can back up your #s with hard data, such as frapslog recordings and screenshots. That way we know you're not BS'ng any of us.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-08, 11:30 PM   #135
Ninja Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasot02 View Post
Very mature post (sarcasm included)
Rollo is a giant fanboy who isnt worth enough of my time to post more than one sentence.
Ninja Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-08, 11:44 PM   #136
Rollo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Prime View Post
Rollo is a giant fanboy who isnt worth enough of my time to post more than one sentence.
What you mean is:

"I made an immature post I can't back up. Rather than retract, I'll post another parting shot."

Rig 2:
intel 2500K + NVIDIA GTX590 + Dell 3007 WFPHC

[SIZE="1"]NVIDIA Focus Group Member
[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-08, 12:02 AM   #137
RoadReaction
*BANNED*

Nvidia still has the throne, the GTX280 is still the fastest single GPU card. Wait for Nvidia's new dual gpu card.
RoadReaction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-08, 12:27 AM   #138
K007

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadReaction View Post
Nvidia still has the throne, the GTX280 is still the fastest single GPU card. Wait for Nvidia's new dual gpu card.
Yea it is the best and its hot, it literally sets your computer on fire..because its too awesome also burns a big hole in your wallet..

But that aside, yea it is the fastest single card choice, it just fails in the heat/cost department...at least the cost is good.
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-08, 12:55 AM   #139
Chiggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by K007 View Post
Yea it is the best and its hot, it literally sets your computer on fire..because its too awesome also burns a big hole in your wallet..

But that aside, yea it is the fastest single card choice, it just fails in the heat/cost department...at least the cost is good.
Yes, because the 4800 series runs sooooo cool? And as far as the GTX 280 being expensive? Two Months Ago called, it wants its fanboy talking points back.

Enjoy your 4870 with its joke of a framebuffer.
Chiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-08, 12:58 AM   #140
RoadReaction
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiggs View Post
Yes, because the 4800 series runs sooooo cool? And as far as the GTX 280 being expensive? Two Months Ago called, it wants its fanboy talking points back.

Not to mention the fact That you purchased something from AMD, yuck. A few years ago i wouldnt dare say that.

Try comparing the 1gb 4870 to the 1gb GTX 280, prepare to lol.
RoadReaction is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-08, 01:56 AM   #141
K007

Quote:

mine dosen't go over 50C in Crysis after 2-3 hours of messing around in it. Fan is @ 35%. barely audible over my antec 900 case -.-. and i hear nothing during gaming since i use headphones.
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-08, 09:19 AM   #142
JoJomomo
*BANNED*

Quote:
Yes, because the 4800 series runs sooooo cool?
Get your fact straight:

Yes it runs hot but at least its not a defect unlike a lot of GTX 280's which in the end failed because of the excesive heat

And BTW a simple bump in the fan speed of say to about 35% on the HD 4870 will lower the temps drastically, you cant say the same for some of the GTX 280's as the fan speed didnt matter since it was a defect in the card unlike the HD 4870.

Quote:

Once again you need to get your facts straight as your making yourself sound really dumb

#1. The HD 4870 series utilizes GPU memory a lot differently than Nvidia, the AA for example can be used with the shaders so it doesnt cut into the framebuffer as much. Its really not an issue at all and if you have paid attention to the benchmarks the card does great at even 1920X1200 and does not show any mem limitations in most games maybe except for Crysis.

#2. 1GB HD 4870's are now out and they are around $100.00+ cheaper than the GTX 280.
JoJomomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-08, 09:21 AM   #143
JoJomomo
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadReaction View Post

Try comparing the 1gb 4870 to the 1gb GTX 280, prepare to lol.
Yeah prepare to LOL because its less expensive and can perform on par to a GTX 280 in a number of games and sometimes even out perform it.
Old 09-16-08, 09:22 AM   #144
JoJomomo
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by K007 View Post
mine dosen't go over 50C in Crysis after 2-3 hours of messing around in it. Fan is @ 35%. barely audible over my antec 900 case -.-. and i hear nothing during gaming since i use headphones.
Enjoy your card and just ignore Rollo and his gang of friends which he obviously recruited to come over here.