Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Benchmarking And Overclocking

Newegg Daily Deals

View Poll Results: Are they cheating again?
Yes 132 67.01%
No 53 26.90%
I don't have a clue by four. 12 6.09%
Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-19-03, 03:04 PM   #553
MuFu
should be at a lecture

You're right, I just checked the mod forum and I didn't have the foresight to post it there (not that it matters, because as you said in your last sordid PM, I could fake it anyway). It's ok though - why would I make such a thing up when your posts speak for themselves? =\

The only private thread you're in involves you saying someone is "full of sh|t" - the others were cleared up in situ after you had resorted to your usual statements about how you aren't getting stressed at all about things because you earn a lot of money and have a job whereas I am just a student blah, blah, blah and eventually go way too far in desparation and have to be edited, eitehr by myself or by one of the other mods. It is very tedious and predictable when you lose the ability to discuss things sensibly, netdude. Why aren't you posting as netdude, BTW?

Edit -

Quote:
With a dynamic IP and you'll never know it's me, LOL. Oops can't IP ban a dynamic IP, oh damn, , or know it's me oh well. Thanks for reseting my post count, unfortunatley unlike you who posted 5000 posts since 2000 because you have no life living in that foggy hole, the UK, i had under 2000 because I leave the house and have a life and get out in the sun.

By the way get your teeth fixed. LMAO.

See ya at hardwarecentral loser!

I don't mind if you start posting again as long as you don't act like an idiot. The 3 aliases you've tried so far have been way too revealing of your true character. Try again.

MuFu.

Last edited by MuFu; 05-19-03 at 03:10 PM.
Old 05-19-03, 03:04 PM   #554
Hanners
Elite Bastard

Quote:
Originally posted by supernatural
You didn't prove I sent the foul mouthed PMs. Bottom line.
I don't think he needs to now - The depths you've stooped to on here have more than proved what you are capable of.

It's a shame you deleted your original version of your last post, it showed your true colours much better.
Old 05-19-03, 03:06 PM   #555
Gar
I like cats.

If you misspell liar again I'm going to whack my head against the fing wall.
Old 05-19-03, 03:09 PM   #556
supernatural

Quote:
Originally posted by Gar
If you misspell liar again I'm going to wack my head against the fing wall.
I know mispelling. Still trying to figure out what... fing.... is. Peace
Old 05-19-03, 03:10 PM   #557
MuFu
should be at a lecture

What's wrong with my teeth, BTW?

MuFu.
Old 05-19-03, 03:29 PM   #558
volt

Your discussion ends here supernatural.

Please continue with the topic, else it's locked, and further warnings will be sent.
[b]Optimization guidelines by Koji Ashida of NVIDIA:[/b][list][*]Use fx12 instructions whenever possible[*]Use lowest pixel shader version[/list][url=http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/10878/ChinaJoy2004_OptimizationAndTools.pdf]source[/url]

[size=1]The politics are invading the technology. We don't really like to mess with politics because that kind of adversarial relationship has nothing to do with pure technical operations and the technical specifications of what we like to play with, the hardware![/size]
Old 05-19-03, 03:30 PM   #559
Ady

hmm.. this is good days of our lives type viewing. .. seems there are posts appearing and dissapearing all over the place tho... kind of reminds me of something nvidia would do in a benchmark.

edit: ok back on topic..

Is Nvidia cheating to sell "graphic cards?" yes the are. I think we need to ask them why? The 5900Ultra isn't that bad of a product afterall. Maybe the cheat is to benefit their low and midrange cards tho. what do you guys think?
Old 05-19-03, 03:31 PM   #560
SlyBoots

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by volt
Your discussion ends here supernatural.

Please continue with the topic, else it's locked, and further warnings will be sent.
Thank you

Old 05-19-03, 03:43 PM   #561
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by T-Spoon
Coffee anyone?

Yes please, light & sweet...in a BIG mug.

So where were we...oh yeah, "Did nVidia cheat?". Well, yes!

Do we open a new thread entitled "What should nVidia do from here?" to hypothesize/argue/debate about what nVidia's best/most probable way to go now to handle the situation?

If I recall correctly, ATi really started picking up when they hired Dave Orton and there was that shake up in management...what are the odds of How Hung getting the axe over this? Does he own nVidia or could his job be on the line when this starts affecting their bottom line?

BTW-WHERE THE HELL IS ME COFFEE?!?
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
Old 05-19-03, 04:13 PM   #562
MuFu
should be at a lecture

I think they'll be working overtime on the drivers now to get them up to speed without the hacks in place. I'm sure they are capable of this, given their past accomplishments and can save face with the next driver set - fast and "honest" (hehe). Well, kind of... whether they use more app-specific optimisations to get performance, I don't know - probably, but hopefully they will be *actual* optimisations and not questionable hacks. I don't think they'll try and build in a mechanism to toggle off the cheats when using freecam - that would lead to wild performance inconsistencies. Neither do I think they'll release a set that displays a 3DM performance drop but no weirdness.

If they do have an altogether better driver in preparation, I suspect they may do absolutely nothing in the interim. An official response or even an attempt to discredit the ET article would be nice, but unlikely IMHO.

MuFu.
Old 05-19-03, 04:14 PM   #563
Paul

Everyone keeps saying that the NV35 is a pretty good card, and that there's no need for nVidia to "cheat" anymore (hell, Iíve even said something similar, before the release).

But, and here's the key point - What if the card HAS to be supported by the "cheat" drivers? What if there are fundamental flaws within the architecture that the refresh couldn't fix? What if nVidia keep pumping these drivers out through necessity, rather than just trying to get one up on ATi?

Something to think about, anyway.

EDIT: Then again, would nVidia really have released something SO flawed? Twice? You could probably explain away the NV30, but to push the NV35 out with similar problems would be pretty much inexcusable.

I know they had to get an answer to the 9800 out quickly, but... Unless, as i speculated above, they just couldn't fix those problems without major architectural changes out of the scope of a simple refresh.

I'd like to think they can still pull it together though. If only because i need a new card come September, for HL2, D3 and so on

Last edited by Paul; 05-19-03 at 04:26 PM.
Old 05-19-03, 08:53 PM   #564
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul
Everyone keeps saying that the NV35 is a pretty good card, and that there's no need for nVidia to "cheat" anymore (hell, Iíve even said something similar, before the release).

But, and here's the key point - What if the card HAS to be supported by the "cheat" drivers? What if there are fundamental flaws within the architecture that the refresh couldn't fix? What if nVidia keep pumping these drivers out through necessity, rather than just trying to get one up on ATi?

Something to think about, anyway.

EDIT: Then again, would nVidia really have released something SO flawed? Twice? You could probably explain away the NV30, but to push the NV35 out with similar problems would be pretty much inexcusable.

I know they had to get an answer to the 9800 out quickly, but... Unless, as i speculated above, they just couldn't fix those problems without major architectural changes out of the scope of a simple refresh.

I'd like to think they can still pull it together though. If only because i need a new card come September, for HL2, D3 and so on
heh interesting times for the gfx industry eh ?

if its not new releases it is games and driver issues that dominate the forums...

I love this (cept when we have to repeat over and over and over again topics that should be obvious to even the blind... )
Closed Thread