Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Benchmarking And Overclocking

Newegg Daily Deals

View Poll Results: Are they cheating again?
Yes 132 67.01%
No 53 26.90%
I don't have a clue by four. 12 6.09%
Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-20-03, 03:58 PM   #565
tamattack

Quote:
Originally posted by StealthHawk
Anyway, you notice that NV35 no longer suffers from this ineptitude, and nvidia has gone on the record stating that on NV35, the ARB2 path will be just as fast as the NV30 path.
But what do they mean when they say that?!? Here's the three options that I cam up with:

1) NV35 on ARB2 path ~ NV35 on NV30 path (hooray if this is true).

2) NV35 on ARB2 path ~ NV30 on NV30 path (not as good, but still respectable if this is what they mean).

3) DetFX on NV35 special cases DIII ARB2 path and automatically switches back to NV30 path (conspiracy theorist in me...).

Now I don't know which is more likely to be right or wrong, and that's not the point. The point is that NV's credibility is so low right now that I automatically say to myself: "well... that's what they say, but what does it really mean?".
Old 05-21-03, 12:13 AM   #566
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by tamattack
But what do they mean when they say that?!? Here's the three options that I cam up with:

1) NV35 on ARB2 path ~ NV35 on NV30 path (hooray if this is true).
Obviously the first logical choice.

Quote:
2) NV35 on ARB2 path ~ NV30 on NV30 path (not as good, but still respectable if this is what they mean).
Not sure what you mean here. nvidia said that NV35 would run the ARB2 path just as fast as it runs the NV30 path. Not that the NV35 would run the ARB2 path just as fast as NV30 runs the NV30 path. Of course the reality is that NV35 will probably run the ARB2 path a little slower than the NV30 path, but who knows for sure. Unforunately the ARB2 path wouldn't run at all on NV35 with the latest drivers.

Quote:
3) DetFX on NV35 special cases DIII ARB2 path and automatically switches back to NV30 path (conspiracy theorist in me...).
A possibility, nvidia would come under heavy criticism if true. The 3dmark03 issues came to light pretty fast, I would expect Doom3 problems would be exposed equally as fast..

Old 05-21-03, 08:22 AM   #567
digitalwanderer

Default Well?

It's getting close to week later and we STILL haven't heard anything official from nVidia.

Sure, we've seen/heard the effects of their cowardly backroom tactics...but where is an official response? They should have put out SOMETHING by now, shouldn't they have?
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
Old 05-21-03, 08:39 AM   #568
BigFish7
Nvidia

Send a message via ICQ to BigFish7 Send a message via MSN to BigFish7
Default Re: Well?

Quote:
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
It's getting close to week later and we STILL haven't heard anything official from nVidia.

Sure, we've seen/heard the effects of their cowardly backroom tactics...but where is an official response? They should have put out SOMETHING by now, shouldn't they have?
they probably can't keep up with the speed of the post here
Old 05-21-03, 08:44 AM   #569
Hanners
Elite Bastard

Default Re: Well?

Quote:

I'm starting to get the feeling that they are going to try and pull strings to get as many websites as possible to back up the 'it's only a bug' or 'who cares it's only 3DMark' brigades, make no official announcement, and then quietly hide/remove the cheat from the next driver release.
Old 05-21-03, 08:54 AM   #570
digitalwanderer

Default Re: Re: Well?

Quote:
Originally posted by Hanners
I'm starting to get the feeling that they are going to try and pull strings to get as many websites as possible to back up the 'it's only a bug' or 'who cares it's only 3DMark' brigades
Who, nVidia?!? NO WAY!!! Who would sell their integrity like that?

Quote:
make no official announcement, and then quietly hide/remove the cheat from the next driver release.
Even if they hide/remove it, don't they have to at least acknowledge/deny it now? With this much time past the "we're looking into it" excuse is starting to run REAL thin.

I started a thread for the lack of nVidia's official response, I figure I can't be the only one who thinks it's long overdue.

BTW-I'm calmer now, but just as bitter.
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
Old 05-21-03, 08:56 AM   #571
Hanners
Elite Bastard

Default Re: Re: Re: Well?

Quote:
Even if they hide/remove it, don't they have to at least acknowledge/deny it now? With this much time past the "we're looking into it" excuse is starting to run REAL thin.
No, sadly they don't have to do anything officially. I think we've seen now that they have enough people to blindly back them up without needing to make any excuses for themselves.
Old 05-21-03, 09:10 AM   #572
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Well?

Quote:
No, sadly they don't have to do anything officially. I think we've seen now that they have enough people to blindly back them up without needing to make any excuses for themselves.
yup... I concur with that train of thought.. though perhaps not with the whole people following blindly for the sake of keeping controversy here to a minimum

btw hanners... dangit... put that dancing avatar back...

Old 05-21-03, 09:22 AM   #573
zakelwe

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Well?

Quote:
I don't think most people are blindly backing them up, I think most people here are seeing how things come out in the wash.

i agree with digitals point though, they should come out with a statement, but i do not think they will.

Though they have said it is a bug, not happy with that ? LOL

Regards

Andy
Old 05-21-03, 10:45 AM   #574
MuFu
should be at a lecture

I doubt they will EVER acknowledge this publically in the short term, although would love to be proven wrong.

We'll probably see a cute video about it in a few months' time.

MuFu.
Old 05-21-03, 10:50 AM   #575
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally posted by MuFu
I doubt they will EVER acknowledge this publically in the short term, although would love to be proven wrong.

We'll probably see a cute video about it in a few months' time.

MuFu.
lol... hopefully hosted by someone else this time round so as to keep the forums speedy
Old 05-21-03, 11:05 AM   #576
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazar
lol... hopefully hosted by someone else this time round so as to keep the forums speedy
See? Being popular blows chunks in a whole lot of ways!
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
Closed Thread