Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 7, 8, And 9 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-03-08, 10:16 AM   #1
jsimmons

Default Dell and 8800GT

I have a friend with a Dell that's a couple of years old. The machine came with an ATI Radeon (he said "it's either a X300 or X3000, or something like that") PCIe video card.

He wanted to upgrade and got a 8800GT. When he installed it and turned the computer back on, the computer immediately produces a sustained beeeeeep that only stops after the machine is powered down. As you might guess, the machine never even starts to boot up.

He ensured that the card was seated correctly. One thing about the installation is that he didn't plug a power connector onto the card. The reason is that since it's a dell, there are just enough power pigtails coming off the PSU to supply the parts that came in the box.

Does the 8800gt require the extra power connector to allow a system to boot?

[EDIT] I just check, and he's got a Dimension 5150 with the ATI X300 video card. It appears as if it shares system memory, so I told the guy to see if he could turn off shared memory in the BIOS.
jsimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-08, 10:23 AM   #2
Tr1cK
not coming back

Default Re: Dell and 8800GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimmons View Post
I have a friend with a Dell that's a couple of years old. The machine came with an ATI Radeon (he said "it's either a X300 or X3000, or something like that") PCIe video card.

He wanted to upgrade and got a 8800GT. When he installed it and turned the computer back on, the computer immediately produces a sustained beeeeeep that only stops after the machine is powered down. As you might guess, the machine never even starts to boot up.

He ensured that the card was seated correctly. One thing about the installation is that he didn't plug a power connector onto the card. The reason is that since it's a dell, there are just enough power pigtails coming off the PSU to supply the parts that came in the box.

Does the 8800gt require the extra power connector to allow a system to boot?
Seemingly so, yes.
Tr1cK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-08, 10:36 AM   #3
jsimmons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr1cK View Post
Seemingly so, yes.
I thought the power connector on the card was just for the advanced features.
jsimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-08, 10:39 AM   #4
Tr1cK
not coming back

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimmons View Post
I thought the power connector on the card was just for the advanced features.
No, it is required. I would try a Y connector and split one line into 2 drives. I would try to use a line that has nothing on it but the video card by itself if I could.

For an alternative card, try the 9500GT. It is the most powerful card you can get that does not require extra power. It's about 1/8th or so the power of the 8800GT, but leaps and bounds better than the X300.
Old 09-03-08, 10:42 AM   #5
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

it should be dedicated cable. if it shared it could cause the system to have stability issues.
Old 09-03-08, 10:47 AM   #6
Tr1cK
not coming back

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
it should be dedicated cable. if it shared it could cause the system to have stability issues.
Yea, this is what I meant.
Old 09-03-08, 07:38 PM   #7
XDanger
Whaaat?

Thermaltake Purepower Express 250w.
http://www.thermaltake.com/product/P...0099/w0099.asp

Even if there were enough cables the 2yo Dell wouldn't have enough juice to run an 8800gt (maybe 350w COULD? but definitely not with anything else plugged in like an extra HDD or 2) and since Dell's are usually dodgy as far as PSU upgrades are concerned (or they used to be) the cheapest easiest option is a supplemental graphics power supply like the one I have.

It doesn't HAVE to be connected to the motherboard to work apparently (If that's an issue (Dell non-standard 24pin motherboard connection maybe?))

If the cpu is something like a Pentium 4 (even a 3.4) then It will be a major bottleneck by the way rendering the 8800gt pointless.

)))))((((( These are the brackets I didn't use.
Old 09-03-08, 10:21 PM   #8
Tr1cK
not coming back

Good idea X.

If you want to totally replace the PSU, I would go here:
http://www.pcpower.com/products/power_supplies/dell/