Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-26-08, 01:48 PM   #1
tcharron

Default Linux modules, MXM thermal control

I've always had an annoying issue which I decided to do some research on my Toshiba laptop. When booting into Linux, the video card fan doesn't seem to function. Instead I have to boot into windows, wait till the fan turns on, THEN boot into Linux, and it will stay on.

I read the nvidia MXM Graphics Module specification, and did some research. Can anyone confirm that the linux driver supports MXM Thermal Control? This does require positive 'action' on the side of the driver itself, which the Windows driver provides when you set MXMThermalControl to 1 in the registry. But I can't find nary a mention of MXM in relation to the Linux module, or the x.org driver itself.
tcharron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-08, 07:04 PM   #2
txf

Default Re: Linux modules, MXM thermal control

Isn't this a bios problem? My laptops mxm module works fine (compal fl90). Are you using the original mxm card that was supplied with your laptop?
txf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-08, 09:44 AM   #3
tcharron

Quote:
Originally Posted by txf View Post
Isn't this a bios problem? My laptops mxm module works fine (compal fl90). Are you using the original mxm card that was supplied with your laptop?
Toshiba P100 line, specifically in my case, the P105-9722, uses a modified MXM for the 7900 Go GS, it's not a full MXM, as they've combined the VBIOS onto the system bios, etc. But I digress.

It 'appears' that the way they've implemented the fans is dependant on the MXMGetThermalSettings and MXMSetThermalData operations implemented in the SBIOS, which, at least under Windows, are used by the nvidia driver itself when the MXMThermalControl option is turned on in the registry. For these laptops, the same issue happenes under Windows if you remove this entry/turn it off as happens under Linux. No video card fan.

I believe it functions correctly under Linux after it turns on in windows becouse the information is no cleared during a soft reboot of the system, so it 'keeps running the fan'.
Old 08-27-08, 09:53 AM   #4
tcharron

As additional points of information, this problem is rather widespread on Toshiba laptops with the pheonix bios (aka, not compal, which some toshiba lappies are).

Another interesting tidbit is, if you turn acpi off in the kernel, the fan DOES run, however, it runs at a steady speed, not being regulated by tempurature. This may be the BIOS reverting to a default if in some way it detects that ACPI isn't being used.

Additionally, if this was strackly a BIOS issue, then there wouldn't be a need to tell the windows nvidia driver to use it via MXMThermalControl registry entry.

Technically, there's no reason that the laptop manufacturers couldn't, I suppose, by default have a BIOS routine which connects the sensor and the fan directly to the MXM module itself. I believe in this case it's becouse the Toshiba lappies (again, non compal) don't actually have the fan connected, and require MXMSetThermalData to be called.
Old 08-28-08, 09:55 AM   #5
tcharron

Does anyone from nVidia actually read these forums who might be able to answer the question?
Old 01-29-09, 11:27 AM   #6
tcharron

*BuMp* In case I get lucky.

Does any of the linux drivers have the equivalent of the MXMThermalManagement registry entry on Windows?
Old 02-03-09, 05:30 PM   #7
shaundennie

This probably has had a workaround for quite some time. This guide looks like a very thorough description of the workaround: http://skroslak.wordpress.com/2008/0...-ubuntudebian/
shaundennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-09, 06:06 PM   #8
tcharron

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaundennie View Post
This probably has had a workaround for quite some time. This guide looks like a very thorough description of the workaround: http://skroslak.wordpress.com/2008/0...-ubuntudebian/
Yes, however, it is a workaround. MXM Thermal Management is something that needs to be done on every single laptop which uses MXM in some way, and has an external fan. It's a common issue with running laptops with Linux.

Is it's nvidias stance, really, that the MXMThermalManagement functionality isn't required under Linux? So the driver can properly interface with the ACPI under Windows, or, under Linux, manually hack it instead of simply having the driver DO what it does under Windows?

If you read the MXM thermal management specification from nvidia, you will find that the entries in the DSDT that are made do *EXACTLY* what the video DRIVER is supposed to do (and, mostly, does do under Windows).