Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-16-03, 02:39 PM   #13
bwkaz

Quote:
Originally posted by duvvid
This is not true.

This was only required for one (now outdated) kernel release, due to a packaging bug. The details are in the FAQ section of the NVidia README file.
I've read that section, and despite what it says, there are different processor architectures that RedHat builds kernels for. They include a config file for each of them in the configs directory.

However, it is completely impossible to configure the actual sources (what make *config does) for more than one architecture at a time. If the sources as you install them are configured for i386 (I don't know if they are or not, but if so), and your running kernel was built against a .config for i686, or whatever, then the driver you build with those sources WILL NOT WORK.

Quote:
Originally posted by dpw2atox
I upgraded my compiler to 3.2.3 from 3.2.2 and I think thats what is causing my problem. Anyone know how I can make installing the driver work or do I have to manually compile a kernel to make it work?
Yes, this is what's causing the problem. Your kernel was compiled with 3.2.3 (or whatever RedHat used...), and your current system compiler is 3.2.2. In this specific case (assuming the numbers as posted were correct, and you downgraded one version), then doing export IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH=1 and then rerunning the installer should work.

However, if anyone in the future reads this and thinks "oh, I can just export IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH", no, you probably can't. There are MAJOR differences between compiler versions, especially gcc 2 to gcc 3, but even between 3.1 and 3.2, that will cause driver problems. The correct solution is to recompile the kernel with the system compiler, then boot to it, but if (and ONLY if) the two compilers in question are similar enough, you can ignore the mismatch.
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-03, 02:52 PM   #14
dpw2atox

thanks for the info. Im at work right now and will try that when I get home. Only thing was you got what I said reversed. I have Gcc 3.2.3 and redhat compiled the kernel with 3.2.2 thats all. I got the update from rawhide because it has some bug fixes and I got tired of waiting on redhat to release 3.2.3 for redhat 9 officially.
dpw2atox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-03, 04:19 PM   #15
dpw2atox

it worked thanks a bunch man
dpw2atox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-03, 11:24 PM   #16
duvvid

Quote:
Originally posted by bwkaz
I've read that section, and despite what it says, there are different processor architectures that RedHat builds kernels for. They include a config file for each of them in the configs directory.
They're provided as a starting point for newbies, and to satisfy peoples curiosity.

Quote:
However, it is completely impossible to configure the actual sources (what make *config does) for more than one architecture at a time. If the sources as you install them are configured for i386 (I don't know if they are or not, but if so), and your running kernel was built against a .config for i686, or whatever, then the driver you build with those sources WILL NOT WORK.
With the Red Hat kernel tree from the kernel-source RPM, IT DOES WORK. It has been patched to ensure it works.

But don't take my word for it - go download the Red Hat kernel-source RPM and see for yourself. Pay close attention to include/linux/rhconfig and what it does.
duvvid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-03, 10:09 AM   #17
bwkaz

I can't install RPMs.

Anyway, OK, maybe you don't have to do it now. Who's to say it doesn't get screwed up again in the future?
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote