Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 7, 8, And 9 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-31-08, 12:46 AM   #1
Tindytim

Default 9800 GTX, VIVO, and TV Tuners

I have the proper Composite/S-Video to VIVO cables (I have a few TV tuners). I've done a little searching an all I've found is information on how to use it as a TV-out. How would I go about using it like a TV-in (like a TV Tuner)?
Tindytim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-08, 12:57 AM   #2
AngelGraves13

Default Re: 9800 GTX, VIVO, and TV Tuners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tindytim View Post
I have the proper Composite/S-Video to VIVO cables (I have a few TV tuners). I've done a little searching an all I've found is information on how to use it as a TV-out. How would I go about using it like a TV-in (like a TV Tuner)?
I don't think you can.
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-08, 01:22 AM   #3
Tindytim

Are you sure? That seems counter intuitive when it's called a Video In Video Out port.

I don't necessarily need something that's supported by Nvidia, and I just like to not have to install another card, much less an ATI one.
Old 08-31-08, 01:58 AM   #4
Absolution
AbsoUI

I don't believe any 9800's (or even any 8xxx) cards have VIVO. The last card I've seen with VIVO was 7xxx series. You need the vivo driver and nVidia hasn't released one for a couple years now to my knowledge.
Absolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-08, 02:55 AM   #5
Tindytim

I've seen VIVO ports all over the place, unless Nvidia started putting S-Video ports on quite a few of their cards.....

Example1
Example2
Example3

I'm pretty sure it's a VIVO port. My VIVO adapted fit fine. I was looking at WDM drivers, but since there aren't any new ones that leads me to believe that their included within the current set of drivers?
Old 08-31-08, 03:41 AM   #6
Absolution
AbsoUI

Home > Computer Hardware > Video Cards & Video Devices > Desktop Graphics / Video Cards > VIVO[Yes ],GPU[GeForce 9800 GTX ],GPU[GeForce 9800 GTX+ ],
We have found 0 items that match your search.

While that may be a VIVO port, its not officially supported. The VIVO adapter is just that, it splits up the pins to your S-VIDEO cable. Plug the S-VIDEO cable in directly and it will work just fine.

I spent a long time trying to get my 7800GTX VIVO card to work with vista and I didn't get anywhere.
Absolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-08, 04:09 AM   #7
Tindytim

So you're saying that If I plug in an S-video device directly into the card, it will display?
Old 08-31-08, 08:38 AM   #8
sharangad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tindytim View Post
So you're saying that If I plug in an S-video device directly into the card, it will display?
The port is exactly the same, either a 9 pin or 7 pin mini-DIN. With the 7 pin mini-DIN you can directly plug in an S-Video cable and it will work as a TV-Out.

The extra pins can be used for component (analogue HD) output, or video in with a suitable dongle.

However no GF8, GF9 or GF200 series card supports video in through this port even though the port is exactly the same. Internally there's no wiring or circuitry to accept a video in.
sharangad is offline   Reply With Quote