Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Software Development

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-23-08, 01:20 AM   #1
t3hl33td4rg0n
Dethklok Returns!

Send a message via AIM to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via MSN to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via Yahoo to t3hl33td4rg0n
Default AJAX FTW!!!

So I've finally got around to really understanding how AJAX works. A few friends and myself are trying to put a little geek squad type company, since there really isn't much around here. Just about every little corner computer shop has failed, but they all lacked some things. In-home service, computer pickup, good marketing, etc. We plan on competing with Geek Squad and Cox Tech Solutions, directly. What they cant compete, Geek Squad and CTS, is the price... Well, anyway, I've been working on for our phone/dispatch agent, is a nice back-end where the agent can enter and retrieve data quickly, which is our goal. The biggest setback, it needs to be web-based because it will be utilized by field techs remotely via air cards on laptops.

So why not minimize loading times, bandwidth, and page refreshing intervals and use AJAX? Yup, so this is my first production web-app that's really going to use it heavily.

So far the coding has gone well and it works perfect with FF and IE. Fortunately, I tried to produce the issue with FF pulling AJAX data from cache, which appears to have been fixed. I've modified some server-side content without refreshing the page thus far, I have yet to see FF not pull server-side content from the cache, its modified in real-time, which I am glad to say is exactly what I was hoping for; despite the contrary statements from people saying FF will not pull AJAX data properly, grabbing old data instead of seeking new data.

here it is

Feedback?

Intel QX9650 @ 3.83GHzXFX 780ieVGA GTX 560Ti8GB GSkill DDR800Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium PCI-ESeagate 1.5TB . 4x Samsung 2TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTin View Post
....it's so clear how government makes things worse not better...
t3hl33td4rg0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-08, 01:51 AM   #2
fivefeet8
Ngemu Mod

Default Re: AJAX FTW!!!

Your site doesn't load for me. What datatype are you using for the return data? I've been developing AJAX enabled applications for a year or so and have recently started using JSON data for cross scripting data exchange between PHP/Javascript. What are you using for the AJAX functionality? A custom javascript with direct xmlhttp post/get requests or one of the many javascript toolkits with built in functions for AJAX?
[i7 2600k @4.4ghertz][2x4 GB DDR3 1600][EVGA GTX570 1.280GB SC][EVGA GTX460 physx][Asrock Extreme7 Gen3 Z68][2xSeagate 160 Gb SATA HD raid0][Seagate 250 GB SATA2 HD][Sony Bravia 40' 1080p LCD HDTV][NEC 3520a DVD+-DLw][Windows 7 Ultimate x64][Rosewill 1000w]
fivefeet8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-08, 03:58 AM   #3
t3hl33td4rg0n
Dethklok Returns!

Send a message via AIM to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via MSN to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via Yahoo to t3hl33td4rg0n

Oh sorry, I had my ethernet adapter disabled for a while and forgot... Should be working now.

Intel QX9650 @ 3.83GHzXFX 780ieVGA GTX 560Ti8GB GSkill DDR800Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium PCI-ESeagate 1.5TB . 4x Samsung 2TB

Quote:
Old 08-23-08, 04:04 AM   #4
Toss3
.<<o>>.

It's nice and all, but not very inviting. A normal person would immediately be turned off by the dark colors and "scary" look of the page. Imho it looks more like a clan page than a computer help desk..
Old 08-23-08, 04:05 AM   #5
t3hl33td4rg0n
Dethklok Returns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivefeet8
Your site doesn't load for me. What datatype are you using for the return data?
Just HTML returned from a little php script I made... I haven't setup the db connection yet, but the last echo statement will output the HTML returned to the page.

Quote:
What are you using for the AJAX functionality? A custom javascript with direct xmlhttp post/get requests or one of the many javascript toolkits with built in functions for AJAX?
I took a simple script I found somewhere from a little tutorial and modified it to my taste. Theres a bit more to it now, just generic xmlhttp using GET. I would like to use POST eventually, but this works for now.

I prefer to make my own stuff, or build from something small like in this case. Sometime in the future I would like to create some modular libraries out of it and make it reusable.

Quote:
Old 08-23-08, 02:47 PM   #6
ViN86

looks great

yea, i really want to learn more about AJAX. i need to get a book and learn java and XML first. i know quite a bit of PHP and how to work with databases, but if i could learn AJAX i could probably increase my site quality quite a bit.

oh one more thing, you have some CSS errors in your page. nothing critical, just an FYI

check out the Web Developer Add On for Firefox. works great.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-08, 02:55 PM   #7
jcrox
Mahna Mahna

Looks nice

As soon as I get done configuring Salesforce.com I get to jump into creating some AJAX applications at work, I can't wait

Gaming

MSI MPower Z87 | 4770k | CNPS9900MAX-B | 8GB G.Skill 1866 | EVGA GTX760 |ThermalTake 850w | X-Fi Titanium | HAF | Asus PA248Q | Lycosa | Death Adder | Win8 Pro 64

Dev/Backup

MSI GD65 | 2500k | H50 | 8GB G.skill | GTX570 | Ubuntu 13.10

Laptop

17" Inspiron | i5 | 4GB DDR3 | 500GB HDD | Win7 Pro 64

jcrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-08, 07:09 PM   #8
t3hl33td4rg0n
Dethklok Returns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toss3
It's nice and all, but not very inviting. A normal person would immediately be turned off by the dark colors and "scary" look of the page. Imho it looks more like a clan page than a computer help desk..
This wont be viewed by any customers and we like darker colors, its easier on the eyes.

Quote:

Old 08-23-08, 08:48 PM   #9
fivefeet8
Ngemu Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hl33td4rg0n View Post
I took a simple script I found somewhere from a little tutorial and modified it to my taste. Theres a bit more to it now, just generic xmlhttp using GET. I would like to use POST eventually, but this works for now.

I prefer to make my own stuff, or build from something small like in this case. Sometime in the future I would like to create some modular libraries out of it and make it reusable.
That's what I did when I first started doing AJAX development, but as time went on, I simply needed to do things that required me to use more developed libraries as I didn't have the time to really develop my own.

I ended up using the dojotoolkit for my recent projects. The concept of using AJAX for asyncronous post/get is not that hard to implement. It's the data type return that you want and need to use that is the part to consider. I also used a lot of HTML return data as well, but now I've started using JSON data for the data exchange simply because the amount of data being returned was becoming quite large with HTML. And also because newer versions of PHP includes a JSON encoding/decoding extension written in C that is super fast at taking any object in PHP and changing it into a JSON string for echoing back to the javascript.
[i7 2600k @4.4ghertz][2x4 GB DDR3 1600][EVGA GTX570 1.280GB SC][EVGA GTX460 physx][Asrock Extreme7 Gen3 Z68][2xSeagate 160 Gb SATA HD raid0][Seagate 250 GB SATA2 HD][Sony Bravia 40' 1080p LCD HDTV][NEC 3520a DVD+-DLw][Windows 7 Ultimate x64][Rosewill 1000w]
fivefeet8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-08, 08:52 PM   #10
t3hl33td4rg0n
Dethklok Returns!

Quote:
That's what I did when I first started doing AJAX development, but as time went on, I simply needed to do things that required me to use more developed libraries as I didn't have the time to really develop my own.

I ended up using the dojotoolkit for my recent projects.
I believe i've heard of that, luckily for me I have he extra time and no constraints.... I may post the srouce once its a it more mature although my coding can be a bit cryptic, I use very short names for variables and functions.

Quote:
Old 08-27-08, 04:05 PM   #11
Monolyth
Meow Mix Kills

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivefeet8 View Post

I ended up using the dojotoolkit for my recent projects. The concept of using AJAX for asyncronous post/get is not that hard to implement. It's the data type return that you want and need to use that is the part to consider. I also used a lot of HTML return data as well, but now I've started using JSON data for the data exchange simply because the amount of data being returned was becoming quite large with HTML. And also because newer versions of PHP includes a JSON encoding/decoding extension written in C that is super fast at taking any object in PHP and changing it into a JSON string for echoing back to the javascript.
Aye I developed a generic PHP<->JSON translator a few months ago for a project I was working on using object reflection so it was easier to code my front-ends using the generated JSON structures and the back-end using PHP.

Storage 2.0
Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3-iSSD | Core i7 2600K @ 4.5Ghz NH-D14 | 16GB G.Skill@1600Mhz | Areca 1880ix-16 RAID HBA
Temp Storage - 1.8TB (4x450GB Hitachi 15k RPM SAS) | 18TB (12x3TB Hitachi RAID10) | HSPC Tech Station | Corsair HX620 | Windows 7 x64
Monolyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-08, 10:56 AM   #12
t3hl33td4rg0n
Dethklok Returns!

Heh, I was just thinking about this a bit earlier. Right now my AJAX handler only spits out some html (element.innerHTML), no DOM... Generated by PHP and thats about it.

I was playing around with the Google Maps API and realized a huge limitation in this method. Maybe you can help me with this....

The ultimate goal here is when a customers information is put in, a google map is created with an automatic route to that address from dispatch will be created. As of now, all it does is center on the map based on the zips lat/long coordinates, which is a plain text property coming from the fxhr.responseText...

Let me see how this could work.....

User input >> XMLHttpRequest (fxhr) >> PHP Script (Make JSON output in plain text and send to fxhr.responseText) >> js script, parse JSON into DOM >> output to targeted elements via JS.

Please tell me if I'm going in the right direction.

Quote: