Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-03-09, 05:16 PM   #1
freekevingarey

Default Blank screen after second reboot 180.44 Ubuntu 8.10

Hello, first off I need to clarify that I am quite new to Ubuntu and Linux in general, and even though I'd like to think that I am learning at a fairly quick pace, I still need help with some of the basics. Also, I'm sure that this topic has been covered a multitude of times, however I've been unable to find a solution that works for me. Onward.

After a clean install of Ubuntu 8.10, the update manager upgrades my kernel to 2.26.27-11-generic, and reboots. I decide to install the latest drivers through the nvidia-glx-180 package in synaptic (Ubuntu doesn't find 180 in the Hardware Manager or whatever), as well as all that it suggests, the 180-dev package, and the 180-module-something-or-other that is described as being helpful in detecting hardware (sorry if I'm being vague here). After running nvidia-xconfig, I restart X using ctrl-alt-bckspc, and much to my surprise it works (I've gone through quite a few attempts at this over the past week ). I check X Nvidia Settings through the System bar, and it found everything on my system: Motherboard, SLI, both GPUs, even the monitor refresh rate (60Hz). Great, right?

Then I turn off my computer, as I usually do when I'm done with it, and upon rebooting I'm left with a completely black screen. Judging by the HDD indicator and the num lock LED, Ubuntu completely loads up, however the LED on my monitor flickers as if my computer has been turned off. The only thing I can think of is that my monitor resolution/refresh rate is conflicting with the settings, however nvidia-settings definitely tells me otherwise.

I know I'm supposed to attach the xorg.conf file and an error report, but I don't really know how I can do that if I can't access the desktop, and I can't imagine anything unusual showing up in the error report. Any suggestions? My monitor's specs are a 1280x1024@60Hz. Sorry for typing so damn much.
freekevingarey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-09, 02:17 PM   #2
Dizzle7677

Default Re: Blank screen after second reboot 180.44 Ubuntu 8.10

Sounds like a driver version problem. Purge the other versions (177,etc)if there are any from synaptic first. You can look in /var/log/Xorg.0.log & /home/(user)/.xsession-errors to see what's causing the problems. Download & Install the binary driver from the ftp site not thru Synaptic/Envy.
Dizzle7677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-09, 03:32 PM   #3
freekevingarey

thanks for the suggestion, here are some updates. upon reading the /var/log/Xorg.0.log, I have found two sources of error: "(WW) Cannot open module "type1" ", and:
"(II) NVIDIA (GPU-0): No display devices connected: falling back to: CRT-0"
"(WW) NVIDIA (GPU-0): Unable to read EDID for display device CRT-0"

and

"(**) NVIDIA(0): Virtual screen size configured to be 2048 x 1920" (Something tells me it's this, res. should be 1280x1024)
"(WW) NVIDIA(0): Unable to get display device CRT-0's EDID; cannot compute DPI from CRT-0's EDID."

Also, pretty much any tinkering with the xorg.conf file (such as adding a modeline) results in the dreaded "no screens found" error.
Old 04-05-09, 12:48 PM   #4
freekevingarey

After purging the old packages, i can now start ubuntu in low-graphics mode, with the errors:
"unable to load module 'type1'"
"screens found, but none in a usable configuration"

the nvidia-xconfig command seems to do nothing now, as when i restart X with ctrl-alt-bckspc i get the same error message ("you do not appear to be using the NVIDIA X driver) in nvidia-settings. i have attached my xorg.0.log as well as an archived nvidia-bug-report.log file.
Xorg.0.log

nvidia-bug-report.log.tar.gz

EDIT: the nvidia bug report shows an error message occuring during installation, since this post was made i have reinstalled the drivers and did not get any error messages whatsoever during installation. however, everything else is exactly the same, including all other error messages.