Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-03-08, 04:58 PM   #13
wolfgar

Default Re: Which is better LED-DLP or LCD?

Loaded question. and no simple answer..

The only manufacturer of LED based DLP's is Samsung.

Their current model line is the HL-??A750 line (the 650's are lamp based models)

in the A750 line: its available in 61 and 67 inches. The only difference is screen size.

between the 07' and '08 models, there are really only a small number of changes.
  • 2nd generation phatlight LED engine (little brighter, and other minor tweaks)
  • 1080p support
  • slimmer cabinet
  • A few menu option changes (and default setting changes)
  • 07 models had 56 and 61 inch, 08 has 61 and 67 inches (brighter LED's)

Note: the A750 line has no color wheel. That's for all the white light lamp based units.
The Lamp based units are cheaper to buy (not so much anymore), but much more expensive to operate day to day (check the operating power consumption), and will need a lamp replacements every 1-2 years (at $400 each) and the lamps are HOT. Higher AC bills.

The biggest decision between the two technologies is the cabinet.
Are you willing to have a big box (rear projection DLP) or do you demand/need the 2-3 inches for a wall mount?
(IF you plan of standing on a table/shelf, its irrelevant. Just "but its thin' bragging rights)

Conversely, Flat panel, wall mountable LCD's:
Dozens of manufacturers make them, with dozens of options, each model with its own strengths and weaknesses. LED back lighting for LCD displays are the new thing coming.
(There are so many LCD options, that you could not keep a web site accurate)

I personally have chosen the Samsung 61A750 LED DLP.

my reasoning:
  • Cost factor: 61 inches for about $1800 ($300 more = 67 inches)
  • Cost factor: changing technology means probable replacement within 4-5 years anyway.
  • Fantastic picture
  • 1080P
  • HDMI 1.3 support
  • No lamp to replace
  • no screen-door effect (DLP wobbulation)
  • Space considerations (its fits well in my 15x20 family room)
  • Size: I want a LARGE screen and quality LCD and Plasma in 60+ inches is far outside my budget. (I considered front projection, but the daytime weakness put me off)
  • good contrasts (even in day)
  • more eco-friendly (no plasma gas. less/smaller parts than big LCD's)
  • Efficient power usage to lamp units or plasmas. (Cheaper to run)
  • Serviceable: the light engine (chip) and the DLP chip are actually small solid state components
  • Zero moving parts
  • pleased user base
  • No burn in concerns
  • underlying high frequency of pixel updates (smoother picture IMHO)
  • LCD and Plasmas are more fragile.

conversely:
  • LCD's fade over time. To fix it, you effectively replace the entire unit. (aka: nearly un-serviceable)
  • When individual pixels go out, you need to have a MAJOR $$ service, or replace the unit
  • LCD's are fragile and heavier, especially in larger sizes

here is a great thread on the AVS forum dedicated to the A750 line
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1029686

its 200-300 pages of happy users.

one more reminder.

An HD TV needs good HD sources to shine. (as well as all the other HD Audio components)

Many cable/Sat providers are over compressing the signal to the point that it barely qualified as HD anymore. (comcast, DirectV, and too many others)

Verizon FIOS shines in this regard.

Blu-Ray: very title specific. It all depends how how well they made the disk and the original source. Some new disks are no better than their older DVD cousins.

Welcome to the HD addiction.

Say goodbye to your spare $$$.

“I have always strenuously supported the right of every man to his own opinion, however different that opinion might be to mine. He who denies another this right makes a slave of himself to his present opinion, because he precludes himself the right of changing it.” Thomas Paine (1737-1809), The Age of Reason, 1783
wolfgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-08, 07:14 PM   #14
betterdan

The DLP bulbs for the Samsung sets are $400? Wow! The one for my Mitsubishi is $139.

Also Directv has switched all their HD to Mpeg 4 on their newest satellite and they are not compressing it even half as much as it was before. The HD now looks excellent and they have the most HD channels as of now. The SD on the other hand still looks like over compressed poop.
Directv and Dish are starting to send out 1080P 24 movies via PPV too which is kind of ground breaking. Directv is still beta testing theirs.
Old 09-03-08, 11:54 PM   #15
mullet

WOW, wolfgar thanks for all the info dude.
Old 09-04-08, 07:04 AM   #16
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullet View Post
In a non help full way yes. What TV's do you have?
I have a Philips 42" LCD. Had it for almost 3 years and I'll probably keep it until it dies. Great picture, cheap and has those cool ambilights that are surprisingly useful.

Although I've always liked the look of the SammySung LED-DLPs ever since superklye got one. ::
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-08, 09:20 AM   #17
mullet

Cool, it was superklye's thread that informed me of the led projection in the first place. I want to get the 67" but its a little big for my room so the 61" is probable what I will get HOPEFULLY soon I have to work on the wife a little harder.
Old 09-04-08, 03:44 PM   #18
wolfgar

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterdan View Post
The DLP bulbs for the Samsung sets are $400? Wow! The one for my Mitsubishi is $139.

Also Directv has switched all their HD to Mpeg 4 on their newest satellite and they are not compressing it even half as much as it was before. The HD now looks excellent and they have the most HD channels as of now. The SD on the other hand still looks like over compressed poop.
Directv and Dish are starting to send out 1080P 24 movies via PPV too which is kind of ground breaking. Directv is still beta testing theirs.
Last time I looked, comparing lamp vs LED sets.

At that time, they were damn expensive and heavily back ordered.
Part of the reason I wrote off lamp based DLP. (that and the color wheel)
Hopefully that are much cheaper now. (I have no desire/reason to check)

Next up and comer: laser based rear projection.

My preference still would have been SED, but that got caught up in the lawyers over patents and contract disputes.

“I have always strenuously supported the right of every man to his own opinion, however different that opinion might be to mine. He who denies another this right makes a slave of himself to his present opinion, because he precludes himself the right of changing it.” Thomas Paine (1737-1809), The Age of Reason, 1783
Old 09-04-08, 03:53 PM   #19
wolfgar

Quote:
Cool, it was superklye's thread that informed me of the led projection in the first place. I want to get the 67" but its a little big for my room so the 61" is probable what I will get HOPEFULLY soon I have to work on the wife a little harder.
Take her to best buy (or similar)

Show her the 61" Sony plasma (approx $5000 or more)
Then show her the 61A750 LED DLP. (at $1800 on sale, check 'BigRiver' mail order)
  • Make big statement about how you would prefer the more advanced Sony technology, but agree that is just way too much to spend.
  • Then go into the stability and dependability of the <cough> older technology and that this one is a 2nd generation: much safer purchase.
  • Be the self sacrificing hero.
  • Have major football party.
  • start secretly saving for rest of Blu-Ray and audio upgrade

Old 09-05-08, 12:17 AM   #20
mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgar View Post
Take her to best buy (or similar)

Show her the 61" Sony plasma (approx $5000 or more)
Then show her the 61A750 LED DLP. (at $1800 on sale, check 'BigRiver' mail order)
  • Make big statement about how you would prefer the more advanced Sony technology, but agree that is just way too much to spend.
  • Then go into the stability and dependability of the <cough> older technology and that this one is a 2nd generation: much safer purchase.
  • Be the self sacrificing hero.
  • Have major football party.
  • start secretly saving for rest of Blu-Ray and audio upgrade

She knows me to well but thanks for the input.

Old 09-05-08, 01:32 AM   #21
Lyme

Quote:
Correct on the rainbows, There are 3 LEDs red-blue-green no more color wheels. On a funny note why is it that only men see the small problems with a tv's picture. I can see problems plain as day but my wife just laughs and says she can't see it at all. My wife could barely see the difference between HD-DVD and a regular DVD it drove me nuts. To me its a huge difference.
My wife doesn't notice the difference between regular SD tv and HD tv, and yet there is a clear difference. Then again, she keeps reminding me that she really doesn't care that much either.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-08, 08:03 AM   #22
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Quote:
::

Home movie night?
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-08, 09:13 AM   #23
betterdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
::

Home movie night?
/me takes away 2 stamina points from other thread
Old 09-08-08, 09:53 AM   #24
mullet

Well I just ordered it Samsung HL61A750 61" LED DLP + stand all for under 2k. I can't wait 5 to 7 day shipping, maybe I will have it before the weekend.