Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-05-08, 01:27 AM   #1
Lyme

Default Samsung: "blu-ray has 5 years left"

http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/ne...ars-left.phtml

Quote:
"I think it [Blu-ray] has 5 years left, I certainly wouldn't give it 10", Andy Griffiths, director of consumer electronics at Samsung UK told Pocket-lint in an interview
Jeeze, that isn't much of a bright future coming from one of the blu-ray backers.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-08, 01:40 AM   #2
mullet

Default Re: Samsung: "blu-ray has 5 years left"

As comcast is putting a bandwidth limit, we shall see.
Old 09-05-08, 05:12 AM   #3
npras42
Hi Everybody!

I thought for a while that eventually digital distribution will take over but recently I have decided that this is totally not viable in the UK at least due to the bandwidth and download limits.

I'm on one of the "better" ISPs and pay over $45 a month for the net and only have 30GB of download/upload at peak times. That's not even enough for one BR film. I have to constantly keep an eye on how much XBOX Live stuff and PSN stuff I'm downloading. Its gonna take more than 5 years before downloading high quality 1080p films will be a reasoable proposition. Its not likt the limits are rapidly expanding. If anything most ISPs are becoming tighter and tighter.
npras42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-08, 05:44 AM   #4
betterdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by npras42 View Post
Its gonna take more than 5 years before downloading high quality 1080p films will be a reasoable proposition. Its not likt the limits are rapidly expanding. If anything most ISPs are becoming tighter and tighter.
Dish and Directv have 1080P movies available for download onto your dvr now. Well Directv is beta testing but still.. I have Directv and downloaded The Bucket List in 1080P, took about 2 hours I think.
Old 09-05-08, 06:24 AM   #5
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
I thought for a while that eventually digital distribution will take over but recently I have decided that this is totally not viable in the UK at least due to the bandwidth and download limits.

I'm on one of the "better" ISPs and pay over $45 a month for the net and only have 30GB of download/upload at peak times. That's not even enough for one BR film. I have to constantly keep an eye on how much XBOX Live stuff and PSN stuff I'm downloading. Its gonna take more than 5 years before downloading high quality 1080p films will be a reasoable proposition. Its not likt the limits are rapidly expanding. If anything most ISPs are becoming tighter and tighter.
movies generaly are not that big, typical BD movie is 14-17GB, rest is multiple audio streams, bonus junk.
Old 09-05-08, 06:33 AM   #6
npras42
Hi Everybody!

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterdan View Post
Dish and Directv have 1080P movies available for download onto your dvr now. Well Directv is beta testing but still.. I have Directv and downloaded The Bucket List in 1080P, took about 2 hours I think.
Yeah, I'm sure they'll be available here as well soon enough but they're not gonna take off until these download limits and bandwidth limits are eased off, something which as I say is going in the opposite direction at the moment here. Another thing my ISP does is limit the speed of P2P, video-streaming websites and gaming connections between 6pm and midnight so that between these times I only get half of my available bandwidth for these apps. ISPs claim that services like BBC iPlayer are grinding their networks to a halt, where the average half-hour program isn't much more than 100MB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
movies generaly are not that big, typical BD movie is 14-17GB, rest is multiple audio streams, bonus junk.
Yeah that's true, fair point, but that still means that on my connection with my ISP if I download 2 films like that during peak hours I will get that e-mail saying I'm excessively using the network and if I do it 2 months out of 4 then I'l have my net speed cut down to 512kbs or something.
Old 09-05-08, 06:45 AM   #7
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

ISP have the potential to kill the internet
Old 09-05-08, 03:33 PM   #8
XDanger
Whaaat?

Quote:
Yeah, I'm sure they'll be available here as well soon enough but they're not gonna take off until these download limits and bandwidth limits are eased off, something which as I say is going in the opposite direction at the moment here. Another
BT have only recently decided to invest ELEVENTYBILLIONDOLLARS!!! Into fiber optics.

100gb connection by 2012, Blu-Ray can die then.

Virgin will beat them to it though.

Very stupid not to share resources.
XDanger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-08, 03:37 PM   #9
Lyme

Shaw Cable (for cable tv) does a on-demand movie service, some of the movies are HD. The bandwidth doesn't count towards your internet cap.

Shaw Cable (for internet) has a monthly cap of 60gigs (aggregate), which is enough to grab a number of HD movies off (as a example) xbox live (HD movie sizes are ~5gig).

Note: Comcast has announced they are capping at 250gig a month.

As for digital distribution goes, I'd love to move from cd/dvd's to that, if I could only find the stuff I want to watch in my region. eg: I like some British shows that are not availible here.
Old 09-05-08, 05:24 PM   #10
einstein_314
w00t!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyme View Post
Shaw Cable (for cable tv) does a on-demand movie service, some of the movies are HD. The bandwidth doesn't count towards your internet cap.

Shaw Cable (for internet) has a monthly cap of 60gigs (aggregate), which is enough to grab a number of HD movies off (as a example) xbox live (HD movie sizes are ~5gig).

As for digital distribution goes, I'd love to move from cd/dvd's to that, if I could only find the stuff I want to watch in my region. eg: I like some British shows that are not availible here.
And if you pay extra for Xtreme-1 Shaw Cable, you get a 100GB/month limit Like me
Logitech Z-5300 Speakers || Sennheiser HD555's || Logitech G7 || Logitech G15 || Windows Vista Ultimate x64
einstein_314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-08, 06:01 PM   #11
npras42
Hi Everybody!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDanger View Post
BT have only recently decided to invest ELEVENTYBILLIONDOLLARS!!! Into fiber optics.

100gb connection by 2012, Blu-Ray can die then.

Virgin will beat them to it though.

Very stupid not to share resources.
Yeah, and what difference will 100Mbit connections make with BT's absolute 40GB monthly cap or contention ratios that mean that when you actually want to use the internet (i.e. in the evening when you are home from work) then it will barely run any faster than the connection you have now. I'm highly sceptical of BTs ability to provide any kind of decent service, however much money they throw at it. We've seen BT control most of our ADSL services for a decade now and its been a complete sham.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyme View Post

Are the xbox live videos as good quality as a BR/HD-DVD though? Are they even 1080p or just 720p? As I said, it could all work out well across the pond, but then translating that here will take much longer than it should and the end product won't even match up. Just like our p!ss-poor rollout of HD broadcasting despite the fact we have had nationwide digital satellite and terrestrial TV for longer than most other countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by einstein_314 View Post
And if you pay extra for Xtreme-1 Shaw Cable, you get a 100GB/month limit Like me
100GB/month AT PEAK TIMES (i.e. between 6pm and midnight) would be the minimum I think necessary for this kind of stuff to roll out properly.
Old 09-05-08, 11:01 PM   #12
Lyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDanger View Post

Do people steal Fiber-Optic cable, Thats expensive right?
Is that a British Billion? Which is a million million American http://www.askoxford.com/asktheexper...illion?view=uk

People don't generally steal fibre optic, they would rather steal copper, much better resale value.

As for the HD on XBL, I don't know, as I haven't tried it yet. From what I've seen, the bulk are 720p, and most of the rest are likely 1080i and a few 1080p (few movies are in 1080p).

I tried the i-extreme, it works as described. However I went back to regular high speed as I don't use that much bandwidth in a month, and don't really need the extra speed. Although for the internet junkies, Shaw does have Nitro http://www.shaw.ca/en-ca/ProductsSer...nternet/Nitro/