Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-08-06, 09:11 PM   #1
majoridiot

Talking nvidia staff definitively answers triple head/dual card questions

i have been trying off and on for two months to get a TRUE twinview triple head set-up to work as advertised. i've found that this is a problem for other folks too and could find no definitive answers. rumors about that it is an impossibility to get this type of set up working with two nvidia cards due to the drivers not correctly handling twinview/xinerama with X/gnome/etc.

in a nutshell, this is the problem...

i started with two heads running twinview via a geforce agp 5500FX and it worked BRILLIANTLY! the driver presented the x server the proper info, etc. and windows maximized to only one screen size, not spanned... etc.

so, i got greedy and decided to free up the second display by adding a third head to handle only mythtv and video apps, etc. as a previously loyal nvidia guy, i thought it would be best to match the agp with a pci 5500FX as well. with the same chipset, etc., should be less hassle, right? nope.

this rig REFUSES to run a twinview x-session as advertised when a third (nvidia-driven) head is added. i started with this:

gnome sees--V

desktop
|-----------------------------|

+------1-----+-------2-----+

|--------------|--------------|
desktop

nvidia sees--^

as soon as the second card is activated, this is the result on heads 1 & 2:

gnome sees--V

desktop

+------1-----+-------2-----+

desktop

nvidia sees--^ ... maximizing windows now spans both heads one and 2.

the third head functions correctly.

this failure has been standard using every driver since 1.06xx the relevant portions of my xorg.conf are:

Code:

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Generic Monitor"
    Option         "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Generic Monitor2"
    Option         "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier      "NVIDIA Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5500]"
     Driver         "nvidia"
     BusID          "PCI:1:0:0"
     Option         "RenderAccel"      "True"
     Option         "ConnectedMonitor" "CRT, CRT"
EndSection

Section "Device"
   Identifier "PCI"
    Driver      "nvidia"
    BusID       "PCI:2:8:0"
    Option      "UseInt10Module" "1"
    Option      "NoLogo"   "1"
    Option      "RenderAccel"      "True"
    Option      "ConnectedMonitor" "CRT"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Default Screen"
    Device         "NVIDIA Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5500]"
    Monitor        "Generic Monitor"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "TwinView"
    Option         "NoTwinViewXineramaInfo" "1"
    Option         "NoLogo" "1"
    Option         "CursorShadow" "1"
    Option         "CoolBits" "1"
    Option         "NoPowerConnectorCheck"
    Option         "Metamodes" "1024x768,1024x768; 800x600,800x600; 1024x768,NULL; 800x600,NULL"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       16
        Modes      "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Default Screen2"
    Device         "PCI"
    Monitor        "Generic Monitor2"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "NoLogo" "1"
    Option         "CursorShadow" "1"
    Option         "CoolBits" "1"
    Option         "NoPowerConnectorCheck"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       16
    EndSubSection
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "idiot's three screen rig"
    Screen         "Default Screen" 0 0
    Screen         "Default Screen2" RightOf "Default Screen"
    InputDevice    "Configured Mouse"
    InputDevice    "Generic Keyboard"
EndSection
simply comment out the entries for the second card and the screen entry in serverlayout and restart and heads one and two work properly again (with head 3 dark, of course). so, to this idiot, it seems there is a driver issue?

i've played extensively with with xorg.conf entries and added/subtracted anything and everything that are claimed remedies and the result is the same. xorg log shows no errors, reports the correct screen sizes, etc... but something is getting lost in the process. ironically, i have read that mixing an ati video card with an nvidia to get triple head twinview works just fine. WTF? :-S

could someone at nvidia PLEASE tell me if i (and the rest of us) are wasting our time trying to get this to work with two nvidia cards?

and if anyone out there has this working (not as individual screens btw, but as a true twinview with a third head) PLEASE point in the right direction?

thank you.

EDIT- attached, ty.

/me hopes this goes somewhere good
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (112.8 KB, 143 views)

Last edited by majoridiot; 11-10-06 at 01:14 PM.
majoridiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-06, 09:21 PM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: nvidia staff PLEASE definitively answer triple head/dual card questions

Please generate and attach an nvidia-bug-report while the problem is present.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-06, 10:58 AM   #3
majoridiot

Default Re: nvidia staff PLEASE definitively answer triple head/dual card questions

again.
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (112.8 KB, 163 views)
Old 11-09-06, 11:10 AM   #4
pest_789

I'm assuming you don't want to use Xinerama. I have three heads working on my setup, but I'm using Xinerama to accomplish it, rather than twinview. Xinerama has been a lot faster than it was in the newer driver releases. You might want to give it a try again if you previously gave up on it.
pest_789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-06, 12:45 PM   #5
majoridiot

i would prefer not to use xinerama if i don't have to... but it is nice to know that if that's the only option, that it is running faster.

hopefully the good people at nvidia will suss this thing out. twinview works GREAT on a two head and i hate to give it up.
Old 11-09-06, 12:56 PM   #6
pest_789

I agree - I specifically went out and bought an SLI motherboard and two identical cards just so I could make sure I was giving the nvidia driver the best possible shot at giving me a really nice responsive three monitor desktop. I've switched to twinview on two monitors to play with xgl/compiz in the past and was insanely jealous of the performance of that configuration. It sure would be nice to do that across three monitors!
pest_789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-06, 02:17 PM   #7
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

This has to do with the way Xinerama information is reported to X clients. In TwinView, the NVIDIA driver provides its own "fake" Xinerama extension to tell the clients where the screens are. When you add a third screen and turn on the X server's real Xinerama extension, that takes over. To it, the TwinView screen shows up as one big desktop, and it only advertises two screens to the clients. This is a fundamental limitation in the way Xinerama works right now. There are plans to improve support for TwinView/mergedfb plus Xinerama configurations in version 1.2 of the RandR extension, but until that is ready, we're stuck with this limitation.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-06, 05:11 PM   #8
majoridiot

Talking nvidia staff definitively answers triple head/dual card questions

thanks for the answer AaronP!

i really hope this issues is addressed soon as you reference. until then, i'll give xinerama a shot as pest suggests or just live with it the way it is for now.

thanks again!

Old 11-10-06, 05:16 PM   #9
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

I just talked to Keith Packard at UDS today and he explained more about how XRandR 1.2 is going to work, and it looks like it might not address the TwinView + Xinerama case after all. Sorry for the confusion!
Old 11-14-06, 01:22 PM   #10
majoridiot

just out of curiosity, why is such an important aspect being put off for so long? it's a blemish on an otherwise great driver package.

it would be nice to be able to run a three or four-head setup with xinerama working correctly.

thanks for the update, tho!
Old 11-14-06, 06:21 PM   #11
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

majoridiot,
You'll have to take that up with the X.org community, since it's an X server limitation, not a driver one. You can always run Xinerama without TwinView if it's a major issue for you.
Old 11-15-06, 01:03 PM   #12
majoridiot

thanks, aaron- i misunderstood that it was an xorg problem.

now we know which tree to shake.