Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-07-08, 11:40 AM   #1
rtcm

Default diagonal "line" on video with 177.x

Ever since upgrading to the 177.x driver I'm seeing a corruption in video when running in metacity (i.e. without compositing, in compiz it doesn't happen). It looks like tearing in that it's only visible on fast moving scenes but it has always the same straight diagonal line shape. I'm attaching a gimped screenshot to ilustrate.

Here's a (slightly old but still applicable) nvidia bug report: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/atta...1&d=1214588097
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot-MPlayer.jpg
Views:	510
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	33041  
rtcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-08, 11:50 AM   #2
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: diagonal "line" on video with 177.x

What output plugin are you using?
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-08, 06:50 PM   #3
rtcm

mplayer's default:

VO: [xv] 1280x720 => 1280x720 Planar YV12

Interestingly I just noticed one thing. With nvidia-settings opened on the powermizer information to check the clock it seems that it only happens when the chip is at 170 MHz. After I do some scrolling in firefox to force it to go up to 400 MHz and imediatly launch mplayer it no longer happens.
Old 09-07-08, 06:57 PM   #4
rtcm

Correction, it happens but it's much less noticeable. On the intermediate powermizer level it's more noticeable, etc.

It also happens with mplayer's x11, gl and gl2 -vo options. Though those modes imediatly force the chip to 400 MHz so it becomes much less noticeable after a couple of seconds.

Also, a bit unrelated, mplayer's video window displays garbage in a flash before the first video frame is rendered, probably unitialized memory, but it isn't nice anyway.
Old 09-07-08, 07:36 PM   #5
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

That's very strange. Are you sure you're not running a composite manager? The xv code can't tear that way. When the mplayer window is open, please run xwininfo -tree, click on the mplayer window, and then run xwininfo -id <whatever the parent window's ID was>. If it shows a depth 32 window, that could explain the tearing, because the X server will redirect the window automatically.
Old 09-08-08, 05:10 AM   #6
rtcm

Yes I am sure. I'm running metacity 2.23.233 (but it also happens with the 2.22.x versions) with the key /apps/metacity/general/compositing_manager set to FALSE.

What you request is:
[jman@hive ~]$ xwininfo -tree

xwininfo: Please select the window about which you
would like information by clicking the
mouse in that window.

xwininfo: Window id: 0x4600001 "MPlayer"

Root window id: 0x13b (the root window) (has no name)
Parent window id: 0x1603b89 (has no name)
0 children.

[jman@hive ~]$ xwininfo -id 0x1603b89

xwininfo: Window id: 0x1603b89 (has no name)

Absolute upper-left X: 77
Absolute upper-left Y: 67
Relative upper-left X: 77
Relative upper-left Y: 67
Width: 1286
Height: 746
Depth: 24
Visual Class: TrueColor
Border width: 0
Class: InputOutput
Colormap: 0x20 (installed)
Bit Gravity State: NorthWestGravity
Window Gravity State: NorthWestGravity
Backing Store State: NotUseful
Save Under State: no
Map State: IsViewable
Override Redirect State: no
Corners: +77+67 -77+67 -77-87 +77-87
-geometry 1286x746+77+67

So that's not the problem.

I wasn't even going to report this because I think metacity's compositor is still beta quality but since you asked I'm going to tell you that with that compositor on, it's actually worse. That diagonal line flashes on *every* window when I change workspace or when scrolling in firefox.

Also, with metacity's compositor, mplayer's video actually displays tearing (the normal horizontal line one) with *every* -vo option. But I think that's to be expected since metacity's compositor isn't GL based and thus there's no global VBlank syncing.

BTW, just to be clear about it:
[jman@hive ~]$ nvidia-settings -q all | grep Attr | grep VBlank
Attribute 'SyncToVBlank' (hive:0.0): 1.
Attribute 'XVideoTextureSyncToVBlank' (hive:0.0): 1.
Old 09-12-08, 04:51 AM   #7
qdlaty

I've identical problem with KWin manager (no compositing, just plain KDE 3.5.10) - MPlayer and OpenGL apps (like screensaver) have either diagonal tearline or horizontal line of the shape like this: ````\_______

I made alse the xwininfo checking and the screen is 24 bits depth.

Marcin
qdlaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-08, 12:24 PM   #8
rtcm

Quote:
Originally Posted by qdlaty View Post
I've identical problem with KWin manager (no compositing, just plain KDE 3.5.10) - MPlayer and OpenGL apps (like screensaver) have either diagonal tearline or horizontal line of the shape like this: ````\_______
Yes, that's it, sometimes it's diagonal, othertimes the tearline looks like a Z streched horizontally.

Old 09-13-08, 02:19 PM   #9
ppurka

I have noticed a similar behaviour with both xv and gl/gl2 drivers in mplayer. This is on a T61 with NVS 140m graphics card, with composite enabled. Also, the output of the above commands gives a 24bit depth of the mplayer window.

I don't exactly remember since when I have observed it, but it has definitely been a couple of months. Currently, I am using the 177.70 driver.
ppurka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-08, 06:01 PM   #10
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

I tracked this problem down to a change in the behavior of backing store in the X server. In xserver 1.5.0, backing store is tied into the Composite extension, acting as if you are running xcompmgr -a for windows that set the backing store hint to something other than NotUseful. Unfortunately, mplayer does this, which causes the video window to be redirected to a pixmap, disabling sync-to-vblank and causing this tearing.

Even more unfortunately, the X server doesn't consider the global backing store toggle and instead does this unconditionally. That means that in xserver 1.5.0, the only way to get the correct behavior from XV is to disable Composite or modify mplayer to not use backing store. I'll look into making the backing store toggles work correctly in xserver 1.5.1. I'll also look at fixing the diagonal tearing issue, but please note that you're not going to get sync-to-vblank from XV when this backing store code is active.

Adam Jackson is planning on removing backing store entirely from xserver 1.6.
Old 09-17-08, 06:33 PM   #11
rtcm

Thanks for the explanation Aaron, it's really appreciated.
Old 09-17-08, 10:15 PM   #12
ppurka

Thank you Aaron for pointing out a solution.

There has been some discussion in the mplayer dev mailing list regarding this. In particular there is a patch available from this page.
ppurka is offline   Reply With Quote