Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-16-03, 01:12 PM   #1
SQLBoy

Default Screwed by ASUS

So, whats the deal with ASUS and the A7N8X Deluxe? They advertised 400Mhz FSB when I bought it. Now, there is a PCB 2.0 and my version (1.4) no longer supports the 400mhz FSB. Not only that, even if I wanted to buy a new mobo, its the same freaken model number. If you add a feature say, a faster FSB speed, I would think that requires a new model number.

They even have 2 seperate bioses for it. One for PCB 1.x and one for PCB 2.0. Im sure there is nothing I can do about it either.
SQLBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-03, 01:51 PM   #2
shassard
Asus Geforce FX 5600

Default bios 1004 for a7n8x 1.xx w/ 200MHz available!

if you check the asus ftp site, you'll notice that their is a 1004 bios for the a7n8x v1.xx. It includes 200MHz bus support for the new 3200+.

I just upgraded this morning (board rev 1.04), and the bios seems fine although I don't have a 3200+ processor to try out the new bus speed.

After reading a few boards, it looks like the bios probably increases stability for the chipset; Nvidia mentioned that the new bios reduces noise on the board required for higher speed operation.

ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/socka/nforce2
shassard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-03, 02:41 PM   #3
SQLBoy

This is what their website says now, which was changed when PCB 2.0 come out. Previously, it said that the A7N8X supported a 200Mhz FSB. Now its saying only the 2.0 pcb does.

I quote:

-->FSB 400 Support

Starting from PCB version 2.0, The A7N8X motherboard supports Front Side Bus (FSB) 400. The PCB (Printed Circuit Board) version is located beside the motherboard name printed on the motherboard. PCB 2.0 BIOS version or later are not compatible with PCB 1.06 or earlier BIOS versions.

Also, the change log from the latest bios says nothing about 400Mhz FSB support or lowering noise, BUT, the CPU support page says that the Barton 3000+ is supported at 400Hmz.

1. Fix A7N8X system fails to resume from S3 when using ATI RADEON 8500DV AGP VGA card.
2. Add "Dual Channel mode" or "Single Channel mode" string on POST screen.
3. Support new CPUs. Please refer to our website at: http://www.asus.com.tw/support/cpusu...pusupport.aspx
4. Fix Win98 system shuts down fail if USB mouse legacy item in BIOS setup is enabled.
5. Fix large data transfer failed under Win2K and WinXP with hard disks configured as RAID0.
Old 05-16-03, 02:52 PM   #4
SQLBoy

Default Re: bios 1004 for a7n8x 1.xx w/ 200MHz available!

If they did do something in the firmware to lower noise, its probably slowing down the chipset.

Quote:
Originally posted by shassard
if you check the asus ftp site, you'll notice that their is a 1004 bios for the a7n8x v1.xx. It includes 200MHz bus support for the new 3200+.

I just upgraded this morning (board rev 1.04), and the bios seems fine although I don't have a 3200+ processor to try out the new bus speed.

After reading a few boards, it looks like the bios probably increases stability for the chipset; Nvidia mentioned that the new bios reduces noise on the board required for higher speed operation.

ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/socka/nforce2
Old 05-16-03, 03:15 PM   #5
shassard
Asus Geforce FX 5600

Here's a quick copy/paste from an interview w/ nvidia guys on nforcershq ..

http://www.nforcershq.com/modules.ph...showpage&pid=2

--

So would a BIOS update enable 400 FSB support for those older boards?

NVIDIA has a BIOS that cleans up a lot of the "noise" and would allow some older boards to hit 400FSB. However, it is still up to the board maker if they are going to use that BIOS and validate their board for official 400FSB support. NVIDIA feels that the board makers will vary on their response to this. Aggressive companies such as ABIT will release the BIOS and state you can overclock on most of them and support it on others. More conservative companies - like Asus - will probably use the BIOS for stability, but will only certify the newest boards to support 400FSB officially or unofficially.
shassard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-03, 03:55 PM   #6
SQLBoy

Well, chances are that the Bios fixes it. I wish ASUS would update the page though.