Old 09-14-08, 05:34 PM   #26
CaptNKILL
CUBE

Default Re: New EA DRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
Can you sell Steam games?
Don't think so.

That's the only thing that sucks. The used game market is going to go down the tubes.

Its hard to say if that'll be good or bad though. Buying cheap games is good for the consumer but I imagine a lot of sales are lost to used game sales. Console gaming can afford that but PC gaming needs all the sales it can get.

Still sucks for us, but I rarely buy used PC games anyway since I don't know if they've been pirated or if the previous owner just burned a copy and is still using the CD key.

It might be cool if Steam had a way to transfer a game from one account to another, though it'd have to be limited to one or two transfers per game.
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-08, 05:46 PM   #27
KasuCode
Wiley

Send a message via AIM to KasuCode

I reinstalled about every 2 months because im always upgrading. Then again most games for me only take about 3 trys before I move on to another game.

Check Out
~CrossWater~
KasuCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-08, 05:53 PM   #28
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL View Post
Don't think so.

That's the only thing that sucks. The used game market is going to go down the tubes.

Its hard to say if that'll be good or bad though. Buying cheap games is good for the consumer but I imagine a lot of sales are lost to used game sales. Console gaming can afford that but PC gaming needs all the sales it can get.

Still sucks for us, but I rarely buy used PC games anyway since I don't know if they've been pirated or if the previous owner just burned a copy and is still using the CD key.

It might be cool if Steam had a way to transfer a game from one account to another, though it'd have to be limited to one or two transfers per game.
Right on... I often wish I could sell Steam games, but I think digital distribution will end sales of games, since companies make no money off them. The console publishers HATE Gamestop and it's pawn shop mentality, but they can't piss them off and try to end it because Gamestop is such a massive pusher of their products.

As you say, the end of retail sales will likely result in more sales on digital distribution products, since they are making more profits and ending piracy. Steam does some really sweet deals here and there, which gives me hope for the future. Even if they keep the extra profit and reinvest though, I'm happy. More cool games!
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-08, 01:40 AM   #29
LordJuanlo
Widescreen rules

It will probably be like Bioshock, they removed the installation limits 1 year after game was released, so no big deal
ATI 5870 (Graphics) + GeForce 9600GT (PhysX) on Samsung SM244T 1920x1200
LG GGW-H20L BluRay & HD-DVD / Logitech Z-5500 5.1 DTS / Westone 3 Earphones
Asus Xonar D2 / 360 Elite Wireless Controller / Gigabyte Odin GT 800W
Windows 7 x64
(also a 360 and a PSP )
LordJuanlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-08, 02:25 AM   #30
BioHazZarD
USCM Marine

Send a message via MSN to BioHazZarD

Yes after 1 year, for many people this can and will be a big deal. they are treating us who buy games ****.
Chieftec Miditower /w 5 case fans | Corsair 620W HX PSU | Asus M4N98TD EVO SLI | AMD Athlon2 X2 260 3,2GHz | Corsair 3GB PC3-10666 | eVGA Geforce GTX 460 1GB (336shader) | Samsung Spinpoint x2 250GB HD +SATA 320GB | SB Audigy 4 @ 2.1 | Samsung Syncmaster BX2331 TFT 23" running 1920x1080@60hz | Windows XP PRO SP2 | |
BioHazZarD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-08, 03:20 AM   #31
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioHazZarD View Post
Yes after 1 year, for many people this can and will be a big deal. they are treating us who buy games ****.
EA is suffering for their choice of drm:

DRM Makes Spore the most pirated game ever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru3d
Spore was without doubt the most anticipated game of the year. The game itself has blown away the people who have played it, but the DRM encouraged thousands to get their copy illegally. Already Spore has been downloaded more than 500,000 times on BitTorrent, and this number is increasing rapidly accrding to TorrentFreak.

Most critics agree that Spore is a great game. However, the users aren’t too happy with the absurd DRM restrictions that come with the game. EA decided that people who buy a legitimate copy of the game, are only allowed to install it three times.

The idea behind DRM is that it will stop people from pirating the game, but in reality, it often has the opposite effect. As Forbes points out, many commenters on various BitTorrent sites now legitimize downloading this game because the official copies include some heavy and intrusive DRM.

“You have the power to make this the most pirated game ever, to give corporate bastards a virtual punch in the face,” deathkitten writes in a comment on The Pirate Bay. He or she is spot on. Spore has been the most downloaded torrent on The Pirate Bay for over a week, which is unique for a game.

Since September 2nd when Spore first appeared on BitTorrent, it has been downloaded a little over 500,000 times across various BitTorrent sites according to our most recent statistics. This download rate exceeds that of any other pirated game in history, and in a week or two from now it will be the most pirated game ever on BitTorrent.
I just don't see an issue with allowing for only three installs I mean I reinstall windows maybe twice a year(sometimes less than that) and I don't think I would reinstall spore more than once after having finished it(doubt a lot of people are going to be playing this game for a year or more).
Old 09-15-08, 04:02 AM   #32
yuriz43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toss3 View Post
I just don't see an issue with allowing for only three installs I mean I reinstall windows maybe twice a year(sometimes less than that) and I don't think I would reinstall spore more than once after having finished it(doubt a lot of people are going to be playing this game for a year or more).
I think it is more the principal. If you buy some media, you expect to own the copy. Such as you purchase an audio CD. You can play it as many times as you want, and in as many audio CD players as you like.

*Compewtor*Keeeboard*Mice*Mice Pad
*Cofe Jug*Old Bear Can*5x blu LED's
*Bag of chips that I forgot to throw away*Moniter
yuriz43 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-08, 04:30 AM   #33
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriz43 View Post
I think it is more the principal. If you buy some media, you expect to own the copy. Such as you purchase an audio CD. You can play it as many times as you want, and in as many audio CD players as you like.
Well I understand the principal here, but I'm just saying that it probably wouldn't affect people as much as they claim.

The whole limit to three installs is totally unnecessary as the game is still going to be pirated like hell, even more so thanks to this retarded method.

When are game companies going to learn that drm causes more pirate:ism than it prevents? The best way to prevent the games from being downloaded would be to go blu-ray and make the games take up huge amounts of space(25gb+).

Even though people could pirate the games, the sheer volume would at least prevent and discourage most pirates from ever downloading the game. Especially if you could have the game take up a lot less space if you downloaded it via an online distribution system like steam(which would be the best option for those who don't own a blu-ray drive).
Old 09-15-08, 04:42 AM   #34
K007

The new EA DRM thing is pointless, does nothing to stop piracy.

What they need is something similar to STEAM, an online validation. Something that they could probably built into the game rather than as a protection format, ie have the game load, but it will have a login thing inside it which will validate your copy of an original purchase and not a pirated version..this would be very hard to crack.
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-08, 05:47 AM   #35
nutcrackr
Super Registered User

online validation, I'm happy to do that, it does stop some piracy, and I think it's sufficient enough to deter some.
nutcrackr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-08, 05:57 AM   #36
dxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
This is because of DRM.

All those people who say "stop the DRM, it helps nothing" are naive. EA and the rest know the hardcore downloaders will crack this stuff and spread it around. They don't know how to stop that, they do the best they can. What DRM stops is joe-shmoe copying the game and giving it to a friend.

If PC gamers were completely without DRM and online checks and such, piracy would be double or triple the problem it is now, which basically means PC gaming would no longer exist.

No it wouldn't.

This might well be before your time as a gamer, but back in ye olde days when DOS gaming was still th biggest thing, we could just install our games, and give the installer CD to our friends so that they could do the same. Big titles of last decade had no protection - games like Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and Quake. Grand Theft Auto had partial CD protection, where you could only play the single-player game if you had the disc. Without it, you could only play multiplayer network games. Piracy was rife. When games were installed from floppies or run from tapes, I'm fairly sure that the vast majority of software was pirated.

But then, what happened during the course of those piracy-heavy days? The user base increased massively. More people played games, and more people bought games. Then more people bought games. And more. And PC Gaming began to claw serious ground away from theconsoles. It didn't destroy the industry, it created it. Were it not for the mass piracy of days gone by, you'd never have $75m games like you do today. Piracy made PC gaming mainstream. Something everyone did.

Now, does it not tell you something that when piracy was at its easiest, the market expanded, but when anti-consumer measures grew to their most extreme, sales slumped? Honestly, DRM is killing gaming. It's turned the paid-for product from something to be proud about to something to be frustrated and upset with.
dxx is offline   Reply With Quote