Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-15-08, 08:07 AM   #1
othernvuser

Angry Performance issues and commercial development

Hi Everyone,

I work on a project in my company which heavily depends on the performance
of the graphics card. We use the latest Qt4 library and very basic OpenGL stuff,
but texture mapping is one of the things used all the time. We need to display
more video streams via textures, also update huge backgrounds the same way,
the whole user interface is based on QGraphicsScene (OpenGL painter), so all the
traditional widgets end up using textures too. You see my point.

I try to follow all the instructions for workarounds on this forum, but there's no
solution yet, which really worries me.
I see most of the people complain about KDE performance, but I don't think
that a free desktop environment is really a headache, we can wait or use something else,
sure very annoying...
... but what about those who have a deadline? Who have to develop and sell products
based on these technologies? We have a precisely selected HW for industrial usage,
which includes NVidia card. We could choose ATI as well, though at that time it was just
a preference matter to choose NVidia. But all our development notebooks are NVidia based
and it seems quite impossible to develop in the current situation which is several
months already.

So what others do in such a situation? Sell all notebooks, but new ones?
Just bang your head to wall every day? Looking this forum for a new driver every hour?

Cheers
othernvuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-08, 08:39 AM   #2
Fackamato
User

Default Re: Performance issues and commercial development

I'm sure if you work for a company, which develops on/with NVIDIA hardware, you'd have some deal with NVIDIA or your hardware vendor. Shouldn't really be necessary to go to "some forum"..
Fackamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-08, 09:05 AM   #3
othernvuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fackamato View Post
I'm sure if you work for a company, which develops on/with NVIDIA hardware, you'd have some deal with NVIDIA or your hardware vendor. Shouldn't really be necessary to go to "some forum"..
Why would NVidia care? Just another unsatisfied user, right?
And what could they do? Tell me to wait? That's what I do.
Old 09-15-08, 10:07 AM   #4
Fackamato
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by othernvuser View Post
Why would NVidia care? Just another unsatisfied user, right?
And what could they do? Tell me to wait? That's what I do.
Do you mean that NVIDIA doesn't care about their customers? Allow me to laugh.

Of course they care. As I said before, if you're in some sort of company/company deal with NVIDIA, you probably bought support along with your hardware. I don't know how that works (I'm not a company).
Fackamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-08, 01:54 PM   #5
Big P

I have wondered about this too, but as far as I know NVIDIA don't sell full graphics cards, they sell chips, and then the resellers (asus, xfx etc.) put them on their boards and then they have deals with other OEMs. And since none of the NVIDIA card manufacturers openly support Linux, it wouldn't seem likely that kind of deal would exist.
Big P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-08, 11:08 PM   #6
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

othernvuser,

I would recommend applying for a developer account at http://developer.nvidia.com/page/reg...r_program.html. That should put you in touch with developer relations folks who can help you characterize the problems you're having and get them resolved.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-08, 01:25 AM   #7
othernvuser

AaronP,

The problems are all the same I have that millions have described in other topics, like this:
nVidia 8000/9000 Series Performance Issues

Realistically what could NVidia do for me, if they are not doing for everyone else?
Okay they do, we all know, but how much longer it takes?
They shouldn't have removed the 2D hw acceleration in the first place.

Registered developer forum? I expect the simplest 2D stuff working with at least the performance of a 10 years old Trident card, and obviously no X11 hangs for 30 seconds for no reason. I'm not the one who needs help in my area.
And I'm not interested in prerelease drivers, I don't want to develop drivers, spending my time testing drivers for NVidia, I have my own job to do, what I'm doing 120% in my time already.

So the question is still the same. There should be lots of people who has to develop for their living, and not just for fun.

Good day
Old 09-16-08, 02:34 AM   #8
Thunderbird

No 2D acceleration has been removed at all. The problem is that fancy desktop effects (transparency, shadows, non-standard shapes like ellips ..) require the use of the 3D engine of the GPU through e.g. Xrender or OpenGL. The functionality is quite new and to make it more complicated both Kde4 and compiz (which is a lot older) use it in different ways. One of the tricky aspects is coordination between gpu memory and system memory to keep copying between the two at a minimum.

While the desktop might have issues this shouldn't affect the opengl performance of your program. Also make sure you write the program properly e.g. use pixel buffer objects to accelerate video streaming.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-08, 02:54 AM   #9
othernvuser

Install Qt4.4.1 (probably any other version), go to examples/opengl/pbuffers.
That simple demo renders 1 single frame in 25 seconds, which should be quite a lot faster. Wouldn't call this "motion". And there's nothing wrong with that demo application.

So OpenGL is not effected?
Old 09-16-08, 04:10 AM   #10
jcornwall

If you turn off KWin Effects (KDE) or Compiz (others) then you should see good performance.

I'm not sure if OpenGL performance will be affected but it normally eliminates 2D performance issues.
jcornwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-08, 04:33 AM   #11
othernvuser

I'm not using any of the KDE effects from the beginning.
I tried everything mentioned earlier in other topics.
Old 09-16-08, 04:53 AM   #12
jcornwall

Your problem will likely not be resolved by waiting for NVIDIA to do something, then, because their recent efforts have been focused on improving performance in those visual effects environments. You really should register as a developer to have your specific problem investigated.

It probably doesn't help you but my application uses an OpenGL widget embedded in a GTK window to display live TV. I use PBOs to stream 720x576x3x1 frames to the GPU (tested on an 8800 GTX and a Go 7900M) with colorspace conversion, deinterlacing and scaling applied as post-processing with an FBO and shaders. The whole thing works very smoothly and is remarkably light on CPU.

As far as I'm aware there aren't any significant OpenGL performance problems in discussion on this forum. They are almost exclusively concerned with KWin and Compiz.
jcornwall is offline   Reply With Quote