Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-17-03, 09:15 AM   #1
elektrohirn

Default HEEELP!! mandrake/redhat and nforce2 problem!

hello there,
i'm in REAL troube! i've got a brand new nforce2 mainboard from shuttle and neither mandrake 9.1 or redhat 9.0 recognize the onboard network controller which means i can't go online! i've downloaded and installed the nforce linux drivers rpm - but what to do then? how can i activate them? where can i setup my network card and my DSL connection? usually, i can do this with the mandrake control center, but it says it doesn't find a network controller although i've installed the nforce linux drivers. i'm pretty much a newbiw so i would really appreciate if someone could give me step-by-step tips how do do that!

thanks a lot!

thomas
elektrohirn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-03, 09:27 AM   #2
peterthevicar

Default Re: HEEELP!! mandrake/redhat and nforce2 problem!

Quote:
Originally posted by elektrohirn
[b]hello there,
i'm in REAL troube! i've got a brand new nforce2 mainboard from shuttle and neither mandrake 9.1 or redhat 9.0 recognize the onboard network controller which means i can't go online! i've downloaded and installed the nforce linux drivers rpm - but what to do then? how can i activate them?
If Mdk 9.1 has installed correctly then you should be able to right click on the rpm you downloaded and select 'Install'. Some installations allow a double click on the rpm file. (The program it uses for the install is urpmi).

If the install goes OK then the Control Centre Network wizard should autodetect your controller.

Good luck.
peterthevicar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-03, 09:34 AM   #3
elektrohirn

Default re

well exactly this is my problem - i did install the drivers, but the control center still doesn't recognize the network controller. well i'm trying the source rpm now hopefully i'm able to rebuild it so that it works. where can i manually edit the network settings? i'm mean, the mandrake control center must write the network/adsl config in some file, where is this file so that i can perhaps edit it manually?
Old 05-17-03, 12:53 PM   #4
peterthevicar

Default Re: re

Quote:
Originally posted by elektrohirn
i'm mean, the mandrake control center must write the network/adsl config in some file, where is this file so that i can perhaps edit it manually? [/b]
The main difficulty is loading the right kernel module. In /etc/modules.conf you should end up with a line like:
alias eth0 8139too
The module will show up in 'lsmod' if it's loaded. Perhaps the web site you got the drivers from will tell you which module to load.

Have you tried linuxconf? I find its interface is better for the fine details of network configuration but you need to know quite a bit to go in at that level.
peterthevicar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-03, 02:54 PM   #5
elektrohirn

well,

thanks a lot to everyone but i've managed it :-) i downloaded the nvidia linux drivers source rpm package and installed it with rpm --rebuild and then rpm --install, and it works fine :-)