Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-31-02, 07:22 PM   #25
Feanor

Quote:
Originally posted by netviper13
I think it's wise to wait to buy a hammer. I mean theoretically they sound like the Uber CPU, but there could be some issues that pop up.
With any new product (that is more then a minor refresh) there can be some issues. Same thing happened when I got the nForce board I have now. On early BIOS and with nVidia's first drivers there were some issues with

- crashes
- rear speaker audio not working with my 4.1 speaker system
- getting winXP to load and remain OK (I had to change one of the BIOS options from default to get an XP load run properly...which I no longer have to do)
- compatibility issues plugging some multimedia cards into the mobo and inability to load drivers

After several BIOS revs much of that is better, but

- The lattest BIOS rev for the A7N266-E automatically mis-detects my CPU and memory capability, insisting that an Athlon XP 1900+ with Corsair XMS-2400 (300 MHz DDR) should be run at a 100 MHz fsb

That would put the CPU at 1.2 GHz instead of 1.6 I can manually over-ride that, but if a crash occurs, it thinks it's from "overclocking" when XMS-2400 DDR and an Athlon XP 1900+ is not supposed to be run at 100 MHz fsb. 1001d BIOS didn't mis-detect this, 1003 does.

- I still get an occasional crash, or worse black screen, where my video is suddently gone. (In the AGP slot there's a GF3 Ti500 and I have the 30.30 drivers now, but this occured on earlier driver versions occassionally too)

I was playing Diablo II the other night, when my screen suddenly went black. Hit the reset button and nothing it wouldn't reboot. Hit the power button (what they call one) on the front, and the mobo never got the signal (part of the ATX spec) telling it to shut off. I had to yank the plug out the back, put it back in, then power up again. Came back to find my 91 zon had died when my screen was black (lovely, she doesn't really die...unless something cheap like that happens and I can see nothing and am unable to move the char) Of all the timing, playing a hybrid zon with titans revenge/lightning fury. Get the cows herded for a quick kill, start using fury to take them down fast when black screen...

Last edited by Feanor; 07-31-02 at 07:28 PM.
Feanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-02, 08:59 AM   #26
SavagePaladin
info*****

Quote:
Originally posted by Feanor

With any new product (that is more then a minor refresh) there can be some issues. Same thing happened when I got the nForce board I have now. On early BIOS and with nVidia's first drivers there were some issues with

- crashes
- rear speaker audio not working with my 4.1 speaker system
- getting winXP to load and remain OK (I had to change one of the BIOS options from default to get an XP load run properly...which I no longer have to do)
- compatibility issues plugging some multimedia cards into the mobo and inability to load drivers

After several BIOS revs much of that is better, but

- The lattest BIOS rev for the A7N266-E automatically mis-detects my CPU and memory capability, insisting that an Athlon XP 1900+ with Corsair XMS-2400 (300 MHz DDR) should be run at a 100 MHz fsb

That would put the CPU at 1.2 GHz instead of 1.6 I can manually over-ride that, but if a crash occurs, it thinks it's from "overclocking" when XMS-2400 DDR and an Athlon XP 1900+ is not supposed to be run at 100 MHz fsb. 1001d BIOS didn't mis-detect this, 1003 does.

- I still get an occasional crash, or worse black screen, where my video is suddently gone. (In the AGP slot there's a GF3 Ti500 and I have the 30.30 drivers now, but this occured on earlier driver versions occassionally too)
people still wonder why I'm wary of ASUS
SavagePaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-02, 01:20 AM   #27
netviper13
Treehugger

I definitely won't buy an nForce2 from Asus. That Epox board looks the most appetizing to me.
netviper13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-02, 06:59 AM   #28
zoolap
GeHorse Ti4200

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by netviper13
I definitely won't buy an nForce2 from Asus. That Epox board looks the most appetizing to me.
Feature-wise the epox board without integrated graphics looks best for me. One of the things that annoys me about the asus one is that they left out the firewire controller.
Old 08-09-02, 01:17 PM   #29
TheTaz

Quote:
Originally posted by SavagePaladin

people still wonder why I'm wary of ASUS
Uhm... My ASUS A7N266-C is rock solid.

However, a few of my friends DID get defective ASUS nForce motherboards (must have been a bad batch out there). As soon as they RMA'd the motherboards (Replaced with exact same model), they were fine.

Pretty much, if your nForce (Any manufacturer) is crashing left and right... and you know it's not a defective CPU or RAM stick... assume you got a defective motherboard, and RMA that puppy ASAP.

Taz
TheTaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-02, 03:00 PM   #30
nvnews-reader

Will hammer be compatible with Nforce2 or will nvidia need to release an Nforce3 for hammer?
nvnews-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-02, 11:03 AM   #31
savyj

Default nForce 2 - Where are you?

Since the other "Official" nForce 2 thread is apparently quite dead, I thought I'd create a new one. From what I can tell, there has been absolutely NO word about the nForce 2 in over a week. What gives? Can we get a clue here? Have the boards been sent to reviewers? I want to build another machine with an nForce 2, an XP 2400+, water cooling and DDR400 memory for some good clean fun and my patience is wearing thin (as usual).
savyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-02, 12:52 PM   #32
SavagePaladin
info*****

The boards are supposed to hit in September. They did not say 'early September'

Old 08-27-02, 02:14 PM   #33
savyj

So the boards will be in my local supply store before Sept 30th? The last "rumor" I saw was that the nForce 2 was to be delayed 'til October. Yet no rebuttle from NVIDIA. Furthermore, don't new products take an 'NDA -> Preview -> NDA -> Review -> Pricewatch ETA -> Local Store' path to our hot little hands? We've done the 'NDA -> Preview -> NDA' part, but still no Reviews and no clues to when the NDA will be lifted. Are we saying that the NDA will lift sometime in September? Or are we still really clueless as to what the current stance of the nForce 2 chipset is?
savyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-02, 05:08 PM   #34
SavagePaladin
info*****

has NVidia ever made a rebuttal to rumors? Not very often, I can tell you that.
Old 08-27-02, 07:10 PM   #35
PCarr78

Quote:
Originally posted by savyj
nForce 2 - Where are you?
Excellent bloody question!

What the hell's taking so long!?!

If youll remember tho, it took real long for kt400 to get in production in consumer boards!

Wasn't it at Computex this year!

That was like 6 months ago or more!

ANd it's just started to appear on mobos!
PCarr78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-02, 07:54 PM   #36
SavagePaladin
info*****

Quote:
Originally posted by [Corporal Dan]

Excellent bloody question!

What the hell's taking so long!?!
its not september yet