Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-29-02, 08:31 AM   #49
savyj

SavagePaladin: You've missed my point then. I wasn't asking why I can't go to the local PC store and buy an nForce 2, I was asking WHEN I can expect the different parts of the product unveiling to unravel. You keep harping on the fact that it's not supposed to be out until Sept. and no one has disagreed with that fact, however, the vague term, "supposed to be out" could be understood to mean that the parts will be available IN Sept. maybe Sept. 4th for example (completely random number). And if that was true, wouldn't we have Reviews NOW? Even MikeC mentions the lack of nForce 2 information with this statement on todays news: "While news of NVIDIA's upcoming nForce2 chipset is scarce". Since we're supposedly so close to an official release (whatever THAT means) would it be too much to ask for a rough outline of when the parts will be reviewed and when they will be available?

StealthHawk: I totally agree...that was really the premise behind the original post. These wait times are ridiculous. My buddy just started an IT website called itcommunity.net, I'm going to build a MySQL DB and a PHP frontend for it to start tracking this crap.

Zoolap: Yessir, I'm in nearly the same boat. I'll be sticking with AMD regardless since my money means a lot to me but I can't upgrade UNTIL it ships 'cause from what I've seen the KT400 offers NOTHING in performance over the KT333 and I just HAVE to know the nForce 2's potential before I make my next purchase decision

Last edited by savyj; 08-29-02 at 08:43 AM.
savyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-02, 01:58 PM   #50
SavagePaladin
info*****

Quote:
Originally posted by savyj
SavagePaladin: You've missed my point then. I wasn't asking why I can't go to the local PC store and buy an nForce 2, I was asking WHEN I can expect the different parts of the product unveiling to unravel. You keep harping on the fact that it's not supposed to be out until Sept. and no one has disagreed with that fact, however, the vague term, "supposed to be out" could be understood to mean that the parts will be available IN Sept. maybe Sept. 4th for example (completely random number). And if that was true, wouldn't we have Reviews NOW? Even MikeC mentions the lack of nForce 2 information with this statement on todays news: "While news of NVIDIA's upcoming nForce2 chipset is scarce". Since we're supposedly so close to an official release (whatever THAT means) would it be too much to ask for a rough outline of when the parts will be reviewed and when they will be available?
I figured it was completely obvious that what I was saying was 'Nobody knows, why bother asking?'
SavagePaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-02, 12:46 AM   #51
SocketAzzWipe
Long Live The Crowbar

Default nForce2...when can we see the motherboards?/ Also ...boards with 1/6th divider?

As per subject line...

When can we expect to see nForce2 based motherboards? I want to see how these things peform...

By the way...does anyone know of KT333/KT400 motherboards with 1/6th PCI divider?
SocketAzzWipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-02, 06:31 AM   #52
StealthHawk

Default Re: nForce2...when can we see the motherboards?/ Also ...boards with 1/6th divider?

Quote:
Originally posted by SocketAzzWipe
As per subject line...

When can we expect to see nForce2 based motherboards? I want to see how these things peform...

By the way...does anyone know of KT333/KT400 motherboards with 1/6th PCI divider?
as for your first question, try reading the preceding posts and/or the news post on the front page about nforce2 availability.

as for your second question, i doubt anyone could tell you with 100% certainty until nforce2 is out
Old 09-13-02, 02:15 PM   #53
Ascario

Default Epox 8RGA+ bios anyone?

How funny as it may seem, with the boards nowhere to be found in retail, Epox already has a new bios for you to flash the 8RGA/+ with.
You can find it on their UK based site. Just select BIOS in the menu and look for the "8RGA/+" in the drop-down list. I sure downloaded it already, cause the 8RGA is high on my wishlist! I don't really understand why Epox always puts the most features on a chipset with integrated graphics. I hope the price differences between integrated and discrete nForceČ chipsets won't be that big, but i'm taking my chances anyway!
Old 09-15-02, 10:36 AM   #54
zoolap
GeHorse Ti4200

Question Re: Epox 8RGA+ bios anyone?

Quote:
Originally posted by Ascario
How funny as it may seem, with the boards nowhere to be found in retail, Epox already has a new bios for you to flash the 8RGA/+ with.

.......I don't really understand why Epox always puts the most features on a chipset with integrated graphics. I hope the price differences between integrated and discrete nForceČ chipsets won't be that big, but i'm taking my chances anyway!
The only difference I see between the nforce 2 motherboards shown on the epox-uk web page is that one has built in graphics and the other does
Old 09-15-02, 12:46 PM   #55
JonathanM
Crazy Canuck

I'm sure many of you recall this post I made a couple days pondering the following statement made on Epox's nForce2 page :
Quote:
Realtek ALC650 6-channel full-duplex integrated sound, with NForce Dolby level decode
I was wondering about that, and a couple of our readers have as well. The following are some of the responses I received.

1) This comes from EPoX Tech from here

Quote:
No southbridge alone is capable of outputting audio. It needs a codec QFP to decode and reroute signalling back and forth to audio ports, southbridge, northbridge and CPU in turn.

In the case of 8K3A+, the Realtek chip decodes the VIA8233A's audio stream and routes it to the audio connectors.

In the case of the 8RxA+, the MCP-T's dolby quality data stream is decoded and re-routed to necessary areas by the ALC650. This does not mean in any way that the audio will be the same as the 8K3A+.

The audio will be superlative in every way and even better than solutions offered by so called gaming card manufacturers whom sell many audio cards to many many people that many exhibit latency flaws.

This really is exceptional audio that will provide for both Gaming and Home Entertainment the very best.
Thanks fto Mike T. for the link.

2) The following exchange is from Eric T and EPoX tech support:
Quote:
Why have you included an external sound chip since nFocre has it's own sound?

RE: [EPox] The ALC650 sound is turned into Dolby using the Nforce chipset.

RE: [Eric]This still does not clear it up. The nForce chipset handles all it's own sound with Dolby 5.1 on it's own. Why have you increased the cost of the board by adding another sound chip. What are the benefits that are not included in the nForce chipset itself?

RE: [EPox]The ALC650 CODEC is provided for Digital to Analog conversion of the Nvidia Dolby signal. The codec must be included.

In other words, epox confirmed that the Dolby 5.1 output is routed through the Realtek chip to it individual 6 speaker outputs.

3) And lastly this comes from long time nV news reader Daffy:
Quote:
About the "Realtek ALC650 6-channel full-duplex integrated sound" : I never read this anywhere, but I have an MSI K7N420 PRO nForce mobo and made some discoveries while studying it out of the case. It has a couple of analog devices AC 97 codec chips, and after looking at their data sheets I have come to believe that they are the actual sound "card", and what is located in the MCP is no more than a dolby digital encoder. This EPoX posting basically says to me that they are using a new vendor for the sound "card" but the encoder is the same. "Dolby level decode" is either a typo and should be encode, or its simply stating functionality akin to the sb live 5.1 cards... a decoder that only works when watching dvd's or another ac-3 data source (and converts the sound to 6 channels of analog sound). Either way, I don't think the audio functionality of the nForce2 varies from the original nForce except maybe the vendor of the sound processing chipsm which probably have similar specs anyways.
This sure has brought new information to the specific of the nForce sound process. Thanks to our awesome readers for hunting down this info. U guys rule!

So what do all of you guys think of this?
Old 09-15-02, 08:00 PM   #56
GamblerFEXonlin
polygons are fun!

Send a message via ICQ to GamblerFEXonlin

Quote:
Originally posted by JonathanM
No southbridge alone is capable of outputting audio. It needs a codec QFP to decode and reroute signalling back and forth to audio ports, southbridge, northbridge and CPU in turn.
What does he mean by this? I thought the nforce did everything and only needed a DA converter for 5.1 analogue output?
GamblerFEXonlin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-02, 11:34 PM   #57
mrcorbo

Quote:
Originally posted by GamblerFEXonlin

What does he mean by this? I thought the nforce did everything and only needed a DA converter for 5.1 analogue output?
Yeah, and input. But evidently there's more to these chips than I had thought. Though, if you think about it, since you can combine these chips with some software and get a de-facto sound card I guess it makes sense. Of course, that doesn't mean that the NForce's APU is only doing Dolby Digital encoding either. Remember the best-in-class support for hardware accelerated sound streams. And it's still the only fully DX8 compliant sound device. (Whatever that means ). So the lack of changes is understandable. What's to change?

OK, 24-bit 96Khz output would be nice.
Old 09-18-02, 12:19 AM   #58
ThEwIz23

Default nforce2

does anyone know what price range the nforce2 will likely be compared to th KT400
Old 09-18-02, 01:44 AM   #59
StealthHawk

i heard it was going to be sub $100 if i remember correctly
Old 09-18-02, 05:10 AM   #60
Ascario

Given the number of features many of the boardmakers are providing, i sincerely doubt prices will stay sub $100. But we can always keep our hopes up!