Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-25-02, 02:44 PM   #73
SavagePaladin
info*****

What Ascario said...EVERYONE paper launches, pretty much
___
anyway, earlier I was saying it wasn't late, and now it appears it will be, but a week or two (or less) won't kill anyone

Last edited by SavagePaladin; 09-25-02 at 03:27 PM.
SavagePaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-02, 03:38 PM   #74
savyj

From the Inquirer, http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=5562 :

AMD to announce new Athlons on October 1st ...

OEMs may not have samples of the chip until a clear week after the "launch" date, which coincides with the launch of the Nforce 2 "chipset".

So, basically the nForce 2 WILL NOT BE OUT (in any fashion) until Oct. 1st or later, according to todays speculation, directly in contradiction to what NVIDIA's earlier releases stated. In other words, nVidia was WRONG if this is the roadmap (we'll know in a week).

Ascario is probably correct in his assumption that the nForce 2 was perhaps synched up with the release of the new 333mhz FSB Athlons, which could have delayed it.

However, there are paper launches and there are "vapor" launches. Where's the line drawn? To be a non-paper launch it needs to be available to SOMEONE the day it's announced, right? What's the next level of delay called? Cardboard launch? What's an acceptable delay between a product anouncement and the first reviews? 72 days? I think not.

Furthermore, when a company mentions it will ship a product in a certain time range, shipping it the very last second doesn't make that a winning solution in my book. It may work it the world of semantics but it's hardly realistic. If someone mentions a broad time range like September, who honestly figures it will be Sept. 30th? Wouldn't "late Sept." have been a more communicative statement? Not if they wanted a stock boost in July

The problem with misleading the public is that people have actually delayed purchase decisions because of these announcements. Will I still be purchasing an nForce 2? Most likely. Do I have a valid right to be disappointed in NVIDIA? Damn skippy I do. They blew it (again).
savyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-02, 04:03 PM   #75
SavagePaladin
info*****

Dude, AMD has been late with their products, Intel has been late with their products, I'm sure just about everyone has...

I just think you're overreacting
Old 09-25-02, 06:56 PM   #76
StealthHawk

definitely overreacting. unlike AMDs "launch" of the 2400+ and 2600+ nvidia never claimed nor implied that nforce2 would be out when they announced it. it was quite clear back a few months ago that no reviewers had nforce2 silicon to play around with etc.

in other words, there was no hype. there were no benchmarks. nothing nvidia did nor said should have given you the idea that nforce2 would be coming shortly.
Old 09-25-02, 11:11 PM   #77
savyj

Quote:
From StealthHawk: nothing nvidia did nor said should have given you the idea that nforce2 would be coming shortly.
Quote:
Official NVIDIA press release in July: Retail products based on the nForce2 Platform Processors will be available in September.
And of course press releases and previews on every major hardware site in the world don't equate to "hype", right?

That about sums that up.

Yeah, ok, I'll admit, there's a good amount of bellyaching/whining/bitching being done by myself and others with out a lot of constructive criticism (I have done SOME constructive criticism). And yes, these damned product launches are getting bad throughout the industry. So is corporate corruption. Does that make it OK? Should we just sit back and accept it "'cause everyone is doing it"? I think not.

I'm voicing my frustration in a hope to bring attention to this practice and CHANGE it. Chances of this happening...not very good. Will that deter me... nope. If I'm nothing more than a nagging thorn in their side then so be it. At least they'll have to squirm as a result of their behavior.

I'm still planning on developing a database to track these guys. Any suggestions? I'm a software engineer currently developing for an ISP with PHP, Perl, MySQL, MS SQL and Sybase. I'll be doing the development for the database in PHP/MySQL. I'm thinking of tracking the following items by date: Press Release, Preview, Reviews, and Retail Channel. Is this everything? Do Press Releases and Previews always coincide? Should I do the output in Flash? Is anyone really still reading this?
Old 09-26-02, 12:38 AM   #78
SavagePaladin
info*****

He meant back in july, since you were saying 71 days late or whatever

We still think you're massively overreacting. If I owed you $5, and I paid you a week late, would you kill me over it?
I doubt it
Old 09-26-02, 11:52 AM   #79
Dazz
"TOON ARMY!"

Send a message via AIM to Dazz

I told you but will anyone listen.... nope
Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-02, 12:10 PM   #80
savyj

Read it again carefully...I said it had been 71 days since the preview. It was pretty much unilaterally decided that the original nForce launch took too long. That launch was 111 days from preview to review with my calculations. I'm counting days to compare the nForce 2's launch to the original nForce. There's a good possibility NVIDIA could shave a whole 30+ days off their original launch which in all fairness is quite a bit better...but seriously is ~80 days from preview to review acceptable? Answer that question logically and I'll be impressed.

Old 09-26-02, 03:45 PM   #81
StealthHawk

except the nforce "preview" actually had benchmark numbers, if i recall. either that or "reviews" sprouted up and there was still no product to be found on the market. either way, we had reviews with numbers before actual products.
Old 09-26-02, 04:02 PM   #82
savyj

NVIDIA has claimed at least a 2% increase over the KT333 across the board with some bench's improving 20% or more. Forget where I heard this. I guess those aren't quite "real" numbers but nonentheless an indication of what we're too expect.

Don't get me wrong...I'm still a devout NVIDIA pundit...I'm just a bit disappointed this time around. To draw the conclusion that my disppointment is equivalent to "Killing Someone for being a week late" seems a bit of an overreaction itself. Had I sworn off NVIDIA products for life... maybe I could see the analogy.
Old 10-02-02, 03:48 AM   #83
StealthHawk

savyj,

now you can start your complaining. it sounds like nforce 2 won't be out any time soon. the boards haven't even reached final silicon yet

however, at least now we know that it's worth waiting for, unlike nforce 1. nforce 2 is truly a superior platform for AMD CPUs.
Old 10-02-02, 07:58 AM   #84
SavagePaladin
info*****

Quote:
Originally posted by StealthHawk
savyj,

now you can start your complaining. it sounds like nforce 2 won't be out any time soon. the boards haven't even reached final silicon yet

however, at least now we know that it's worth waiting for, unlike nforce 1. nforce 2 is truly a superior platform for AMD CPUs.
I disagree on that....a lot of people say the nforce was the best AMD platform once the drivers got off the ground, and I pretty much agree.
When the reviews hit, they were at 1.0 or before, and it was all pretty disappointing to look at. I've had this since 1.05, where they were very decent...and then I got 1.13, which was a very very nice upgrade.

With the NV level of support, I can say everything in the nforce is complete class.

but it depended, obviously, on which you got, since some of them had funky components and stuff. The MSI one was (and is) supposedly not very good.