Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-28-02, 12:12 AM   #97
SavagePaladin
info*****

Not me...
I like AMD and NV...
I have no money or job, which absolutely negates Intel...
thats my reasons, I don't see em changing.
SavagePaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-02, 12:13 AM   #98
rei

Default mATX nForce2?

Does anyone know if anyone plans a uATX (microATX) implementation of nForce2 besides the proprietary Shuttle SN41 ?

I'd really like a ASUS A7N8X-VM
Old 10-28-02, 12:16 AM   #99
SavagePaladin
info*****

I'd like one of those too, but I haven't heard of one.
I think my 5 PCI slots (nforce 1) is ridiculous, since I use one of them
___
and that be for a modem, so if I ever don't need one....

Last edited by SavagePaladin; 10-28-02 at 12:29 AM.
Old 10-28-02, 06:29 PM   #100
StealthHawk

well, based on the x-bit results nforce2 shines only when used with a 333MHz bus. i guess that was kinda expected, as nvidia is obviously positioning nforce2 to be paired with new/future Athlon XPs.

in other words, with an old 266MHz bus, KT333 and KT400 are just as fast as, or faster than, nforce2
Old 10-28-02, 07:14 PM   #101
SavagePaladin
info*****

Except that you get the excellent audio with nforce2, which that comparison didn't even touch on.
Also firewire...also, I don't think KT400s AGP speed is locked (among other things), which would be excellent for stability.
____
I should just say features in general, and leave it at that.
But I'd go for one thats better in 333mhz anyway, since I'd be upgrading it eventually

Last edited by SavagePaladin; 10-28-02 at 07:24 PM.
Old 10-29-02, 04:48 AM   #102
StealthHawk

i only care about motherboard performance, as i have no personal need for firewire. the integrated networking performance of nforce2 supposedly rocks, although it would only save a few dollars over a real NIC.

as for the integrated audio, i'm not sure it could do my speakers justice. i'm thinking long and hard about an audigy 2. i figure i'll let creative work out some kinks and/or lower the price before i make the final decision.
Old 10-29-02, 11:44 AM   #103
SocketAzzWipe
Long Live The Crowbar

Quote:
Originally posted by StealthHawk
i only care about motherboard performance, as i have no personal need for firewire. the integrated networking performance of nforce2 supposedly rocks, although it would only save a few dollars over a real NIC.

as for the integrated audio, i'm not sure it could do my speakers justice. i'm thinking long and hard about an audigy 2. i figure i'll let creative work out some kinks and/or lower the price before i make the final decision.
I agree...Firewire and SATA are not really that important...however...if nForce2 has proper dividers(1/6th) and PCI frequency lock then it would be worth considering...
SocketAzzWipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-02, 01:12 PM   #104
SavagePaladin
info*****

Quote:
Originally posted by StealthHawk

I'm not sure it couldn't, but whatever works I guess.

Its the only audio I've used I can give 5 stars, though I've indeed never used an Audigy (1 or) 2.

That the quality improves noticably with every official driver set just makes me that much happier with it.
____
well, I'd just say try before you spend extra right here
____
I'm using about the final nforce2 driver for audio right now, which not very many have, so I can say it was a nice jump over 1.13

Old 10-29-02, 06:55 PM   #105
SavagePaladin
info*****

I'm told (at least) one of the boards is locked, but most of them aren't as far as I know. I don't know which.
Old 10-30-02, 09:33 PM   #106
SavagePaladin
info*****

I suppose its obvious at this point, but I figure good time to mention that nforce2 is finished and boards are ready to come out, but the drivers are still in WHQL testing land
Old 11-03-02, 08:14 PM   #107
rachaelsdad

New poster here and must admit I am a Radeon man; but I have had enough of Via chipsets. SIS and the ALI XP333 have been stable but I am really looking forward to buying an NForce2 board.

The sound onboard looks to be better than the Audigy and perhaps have cleaner HiFi characteristics. Why then are many motherboard makers not implementing the sound and going with CMedia or even AC97? I will definately be overclocking but would honestly put the quality of sound first over overclocking if I had no choice.

So what looks to be the best OC MB with the entire NV2 sound chip on board and why are MB makers leaving out this feature on some MB'S?
rachaelsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-02, 08:37 PM   #108
SavagePaladin
info*****

From what I understand, the cmedia chip can be overridden often enough, but I don't understand that either.