Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-21-08, 06:34 PM   #37
Linuxhippy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 585
Default Re: 177.76 OUT !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcornwall View Post
NVIDIA really needs a public bug tracking system. These forums are too disorganised.
I completly agree
Linuxhippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-08, 06:40 PM   #38
cheshireferko
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 13
Default Re: 177.76 OUT !!

that would be real awesome. so would working on summore quake wars peformance =D we'd all appreicate it
cheshireferko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-08, 07:49 PM   #39
gqman69
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 35
Default Re: 177.76 OUT !!

This is a step backward, lots of small issues for me with a gtx 260.

When watching videos I get some kind of flickering, like small squares flash from time to time.
gqman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-08, 02:26 AM   #40
tzp
Registered User
 
tzp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hungary
Posts: 92
Default Re: 177.76 OUT !!

It's good that they acknowledge that 2D became slower.
But 3D is also much slower, see glxgears
(People say that glxgears not really a good benchmark, but if it drops so much with the same kernel then there must be something wrong there too.)
tzp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-08, 02:36 AM   #41
Fackamato
User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 366
Default Re: 177.76 OUT !!

I wish the NVIDIA devs would put in a "if process=glxgears then report 234523 fps", so people would stop complaining about it.

q: What is glxgears?

a: A tool to check if DRI is enabled or not.

q: What is glxgears not?

a: A benchmark. A way to measure performance.

q: How do I know if a new driver is faster in 3D or not?

Download and run/benchmark UT2004, Quakewars, Quake4 etc.

Using glxgears as a benchmark is the same as saying "I have no idea of what I'm doing, please don't respond to my useless posts, I'm too dumb to read the stickies, please ban me from the forums."

Ok maybe a little harsch.. but you get the idea.
Fackamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-08, 02:48 AM   #42
tzp
Registered User
 
tzp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hungary
Posts: 92
Default Re: 177.76 OUT !!

Are you telling me that the new driver just simply disabled DRI and that's why I got 3 times worse results ???

I haven't got to run unigine on it with the same kernel but will do so.
tzp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-08, 03:24 AM   #43
Fackamato
User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 366
Default Re: 177.76 OUT !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzp View Post
Are you telling me that the new driver just simply disabled DRI and that's why I got 3 times worse results ???

I haven't got to run unigine on it with the same kernel but will do so.
Sorry, I don't think you understood my post. As long as you get >800fps (or something like that) in glxgears, DRI is working (HW accel is working). So, don't care about the # of fps. Run a benchmark.

Also, if you think there's a problem, create a new thread, with steps on how to reproduce the problem, and two bugreports (one for each driver version), and 3D (not glxgears) benchmarks (such as Quake4 demo) with each version. That would be a lot more helpful.

Help us help you
Fackamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-08, 12:12 PM   #44
xorbe
Unbuffered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 388
Default Re: 177.76 OUT !!

Well yah, in general glxgears is not a good benchmark for cross-machine comparisons. But when you change drivers on the same machine, and it drops 3x -- I think that's a fair benchmark, although narrow.
xorbe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-08, 12:26 PM   #45
NvFuchs
Registered Fox
 
NvFuchs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Confoederatio Helvetica
Posts: 530
Default Re: 177.76 OUT !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xorbe View Post
Well yah, in general glxgears is not a good benchmark for cross-machine comparisons. But when you change drivers on the same machine, and it drops 3x -- I think that's a fair benchmark, although narrow.
No. Not at all. With the update from 177.70 to 177.76 I also see a big decrease in glxgears fps, while ut2004 and compiz do not run slower.

glxgears is not a benchmark. Not from any (sane) point of view, not in any case or for any purpose imaginable.

Fuchs
NvFuchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-08, 01:40 PM   #46
tzp
Registered User
 
tzp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hungary
Posts: 92
Default Re: 177.76 OUT !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvFuchs View Post
No. Not at all. With the update from 177.70 to 177.76 I also see a big decrease in glxgears fps, while ut2004 and compiz do not run slower.
Do you claim that glxgears is just poorly programmed ?
Because that would be the only good reason to ignore its performance drop I think.

I wonder what will unigine or quake do... will see and post shortly.
tzp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-08, 01:44 PM   #47
Fackamato
User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 366
Default Re: 177.76 OUT !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzp View Post
Do you claim that glxgears is just poorly programmed ?
Because that would be the only good reason to ignore its performance drop I think.

I wonder what will unigine or quake do... will see and post shortly.
glxgears is about as simple as a 3D opengl application can be, it doesn't stress the gpu at all. We have pixel shaders now, you know?
Fackamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-08, 02:40 PM   #48
NvFuchs
Registered Fox
 
NvFuchs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Confoederatio Helvetica
Posts: 530
Default Re: 177.76 OUT !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzp View Post
Do you claim that glxgears is just poorly programmed ?
Because that would be the only good reason to ignore its performance drop I think.
No. It just basically cover one or two things out of hundreds, and those are things which are not excessively used in the real world.

You can have a look at it's source code if you want to, I don't. Because I am rather sure that it is not poorly programmed.

Fuchs
NvFuchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.