Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-29-08, 07:05 AM   #25
tzp

Default Re: 177.76 2D slower than 177.70 2D

Quote:
With these new numbers, it almost seems worth it to go back to KDE now :-)
... and probably not use gtk-qt-engine if you can live without it
tzp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-08, 11:27 PM   #26
VanessaE

Thumbs up Re: 177.76 2D slower than 177.70 2D

After much hair-pulling, I finally figured out what my problem was.

First, I updated to 177.80, but that didn't have any effect (I didn't expect that it would yet). Then I looked through the output of `nvidia-settings -q all` and noticed that IPP was still being set to 2. I checked my autostart script, but the only command that could change this setting is commented out. There is nothing else present that should affect this. I've rebooted a couple of times since the last time I edited that file, so I concluded that the driver was defaulting to 2 internally. As a test, I forced IPP to 0 via the usual command:

nvidia-settings -a InitialPixmapPlacement=0

I then restarted the few apps that were running, and that did the trick! Firefox scrolling/rendering, typing in an edit box like this one (again, in firefox), selecting multiple messages in Kmail, browsing various KDE menus, pretty much everything that was slow before is back to normal. My desktop (under KDE) is as snappy as it should be. I've since made this change permanent by altering my Autostart script.

Nvidia devs: Can someone shed some light as to why the driver still defaults to IPP=2 even with old hardware that needs IPP=0 ?

/me watches the dancing banana at the right and gets dizzy
VanessaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-08, 06:24 AM   #27
Linuxhippy

Default Re: 177.76 2D slower than 177.70 2D

Quote:
Nvidia devs: Can someone shed some light as to why the driver still defaults to IPP=2 even with old hardware that needs IPP=0 ?
The driver defaults to 1 as far as I know. 0 means basically software-only rendering, making your graphic card a dumb vga interface.

lg Clemens
Linuxhippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-08, 01:19 AM   #28
VanessaE

Question Re: 177.76 2D slower than 177.70 2D

Odd. Well, be that as it may, I did a quick check with values of 0, 1 and 2. Setting it to 2 was, by far, the slowest. Setting it to 1 was only marginally faster, but still slow, and setting it to 0 made everything nice and quick.
VanessaE is offline   Reply With Quote