Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-20-08, 02:15 PM   #1
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

Default Pure....Loading...

Just got done playing this for a few hours. Its really a fun game. I never did play any trick games before like tony hawk and the snow boarding games, however I was able to pick pure up pretty easy (although I still don't know how preloading works. ^^ ) Here is a tip, bind the 2 lowest level tricks to easy to hit buttons, because you will def be using them the most. It gives you like 4 trick buttons that denote the levels of the tricks, but in order to use the advanced ones, you need to use the simple ones to build up your meter. Control on my digital pad was excellent, I was rarly out of control and I could control my slides easily in the mud.

The visuals for the game are pretty good. It is definitely a port and there was no overly use of high res textures in the game. The track (ground, buildings, other riders) is the usual game fair where it is just high enough resolution to not look the least bit blurry. Farther landscape however still has all the tell tale signs of..well..being the background. Trees standing around in barren and blurry (Although they have painted them to look good when blurry, like a painting) rocky mountains, lack of structures, ect. Grass and tree use is "just enough"..the trees in the game are solid except for the very top of them so to many would just get in the way (I've already found a few badly placed ones, but arn't they always in bad place when YOU hit them?). Invisible walls...are here...but the game is fairly good about not needing to use them. Even when I was all over the place, it didnt take to long to go from offroad to on road. The game balances the need for walls with its use of cliffs as out of bound areas, however never did I find this to be a crutch. With the high chance of trick failures and flying out of bounds, you get quickly ported back into play and you may even be pushed ahead on the track if it determines pushing you behind the jump you just tried is to much distance. It balances this out by deducting power from your power meter, and your power meter determines if you can do advanced tricks and is also tied to your nitro boost, so those who fail less will have more nitro and more tricks to pull off. Also with this, you will find that the NPC fails quite a bit just like any human player would. It won't be uncommon for you to be tripping over bikes, and trailing the leader on the last lap can lead to a first place win more times then compared to other racers where the cpu has no chance of screwing up when there are no cars in front of him.

As for my beefs, there arn't many (and my sore fingers are only a minor one). As you can tell from the subject header, the game has a bad loading screen. It appears that it loads every single menu and configuration screen, including all the game modes, at once. So exiting races and first starting the game is like a 30 second load. Any excitement rush from the game quickly subsides as you try to move to the next event. Loading tracks isn't as bad, esp since it has an animated screen with your bike and your character. Bikes and riders, while very animated, arn't really up to snuff compared to the smooth lines and glossy exteriors from high polygon models that car racers have been getting for the past 2-3 years. Even real crappy car racing games have good looking cars now. On the other hand not many car games feature 15 car races. Another naggle, the first time you start the game up it throws you into the main event without hitting the main menu. The first track is a small tutorial track and the game makes you very aware that you can configure your controls in the in-game menu if you need. The in-game menu does allow some graphic toggles, but like most games it does not have the biggy, resolution. This was a bit of a problem when the game chose 1024x768 on my 1680x1050 screen. Quitting out of the race and going back to the title screen puts you in the main menu though.

If your desperate for a fun racing game, it is probably worth the pickup. If the game only looks like a good play, then I would wait till a price cut and then definitely pick it up. BTW don't mind that Disney entertainment logo attached to the game. I kinda freaked out when I started the install and it said it was prepairing the Disney installer...I was like wtf, did they accidentally put mickey's ABC adventures on the disc?! It dosn't appear though that Disney has much to do with the game.
Old 09-20-08, 06:08 PM   #2
lognoronon

Default Re: Pure....Loading...

I love the game so far but loading is the one large problem I have with the game. I have also noticed that sometimes when loading initially it just hangs unless you minimize the game then it finishes loading. Overall very fun game though.

Cooler Master Storm Trooper case
Asrock Extreme 3 Gen 3
I7-2600k
8 Gig of Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
EVGA GTX 560 TI
Lite On 20x DVD +- RW
WD 160 gig 7200 rpm hd
WD 750 gig 7200 rpm hd
Logitech G15 Keyboard
Razer Naga mouse
Corsair GS700
LG 22" L226WTQ

lognoronon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-08, 09:04 PM   #3
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Is there a mode in this game that lets you go around by yourself and do tricks like you could do in Motocross Madness 2?
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-08, 09:45 PM   #4
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

saturn, I think I heard something about it being online only. I havnt unlocked a whole lot yet. If its online only I dont think it would be to hard to setup the server mode to not allow any more people on accept your self.
Old 09-21-08, 12:57 AM   #5
Dreamingawake
*BANNED*

The game is pretty fun, no doubt.

The loading screens are absolutely ridiculous.

I think the Ps3 version looks better than the Pc.
Dreamingawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-08, 07:57 AM   #6
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Wow... loading issues that severe on a PC game? One wonders how long the loads are on console... they weren't long in the demo.
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-08, 01:09 PM   #7
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Loading times are only ridicuously long in Vista. In XP its fine.
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-08, 01:36 PM   #8
Dreamingawake
*BANNED*

Yeah they're long enough to make you go " what the hell is going on" ?

Especially considering the only time it takes so long to load is when it's going back
to the MENU!!! AHHHH

I'd say, going on 2 minutes easy, load time.. and that's with my processor..
Dreamingawake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-08, 01:58 PM   #9
MaXThReAT
GTX to the MaX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamingawake View Post
Yeah they're long enough to make you go " what the hell is going on" ?

Especially considering the only time it takes so long to load is when it's going back
to the MENU!!! AHHHH

I'd say, going on 2 minutes easy, load time.. and that's with my processor..
Whohhh, load times for me in XP are more along the lines of 20-30sec. I was still going to say it's a little long but geez 2min in just crazy.
SB X-Fi FPS / Z-5500 + Buttkicker!
"Don't mind the posts, I've been around longer than most know."
MaXThReAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-08, 02:09 PM   #10
Q

This game is incredible. The first time you go over that bluff on the first real stage its like WHOOOAOOAOAOAOAOAOAO!

Definitely worth the fidy dollars.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-08, 03:43 PM   #11
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

I am still debating whether to get this for the 360 or for PC... has anyone tried both? Normally I would go for the PC but from my understanding this game doesn't allow for AA support
Old 09-21-08, 04:06 PM   #12
Vanzagar
Bring me Amberlamps

Vanzagar is offline   Reply With Quote