Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-23-08, 05:37 PM   #1
p6s

Default No overlay on Linux drivers ?

Hi. Just installed the latest official driver 173.14.12
to go on Ubuntu Hardy 8.0.4 with my 7300 GT

I quickly noticed videos weren't that smooth, and could be frankly jerky when played fullscreen. Typical of a video not played with overlay mode
so I googled, tried to add that overlay option with nvidia-xconf. xorg.conf was indeed modified with overlay true but that didn't change anything on the videos.
so I looked at the xorg log and noticed something bizarre :

--------------
I) NVIDIA(0): Validated modes:
(II) NVIDIA(0): "nvidia-auto-select"
(II) NVIDIA(0): Virtual screen size determined to be 1280 x 1024
(--) NVIDIA(0): DPI set to (85, 86); computed from "UseEdidDpi" X config
(--) NVIDIA(0): option
(WW) NVIDIA(0): Workstation overlay visuals are only available on Quadro FX
(WW) NVIDIA(0): cards
(II) NVIDIA(0): Disabling overlays
(==) NVIDIA(0): Enabling 32-bit ARGB GLX visuals.
---------------

is it for real ? overlay is not available on linux for nvidia cards , save the Quadro FX ??
p6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-08, 06:40 PM   #2
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: No overlay on Linux drivers ?

"Workstation overlay" refers to a hardware feature that allows depth 8 or 16 windows in an overlay when the desktop is running at depth 24. This feature is indeed only available on Quadro GPUs. You're referring to a hardware feature on older chips that added an Xv adaptor that used a video overlay. This feature was removed in more recent chips such as the 7300 GT. Check the output of xvinfo for a list of the adaptors supported on your system.

As for tearing and jerkiness, please make sure that you're not running a composite manager such as compiz. Composite managers cause the driver to render your video offscreen and then it's up to the composite manager to draw the contents on the screen, which could account for the tearing you're seeing.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-08, 05:24 AM   #3
p6s

.okay, got the workstation overlay part

.the rest is quite confusing though. I know nothing about graphic chipsets & al, so I take your word for the overlay feature removed...but there's still a default graphic mode called overlay for videos on windows that allowed me to watch videos for almost two years with the exact same card, so I wonder why I can't have the same with Linux (for now), whatever it's called here...

.moreover , I didn't even know what a composite manager was before you mentioned it and I certainly didn't install such things (my Ubuntu install is 2 days old, Linux newbie here )
so the problem doesn't seem to be that one...

.last but not least, I wonder if that proprietary driver did install that well...
while I have my nice Nivia logo on boot/nvidia settings access in apps->system tools (well, outils systeme here in France, not sure it's translated like this), I see...nothing in proprietary drivers list. is that normal ?

thanks in advance for any help
Old 09-24-08, 05:52 AM   #4
Kirurgs

Hmm, run xvinfo, You should get smth like:
X-Video Extension version 2.2
screen #0
Adaptor #0: "NV17 Video Texture"
number of ports: 32
port base: 280
operations supported: PutImage
supported visuals:

The thing might be that You're running player which didn't use xv actually.
Try mplayer with the command: mplayer -vo xv <video path+filename here>
See output for errors if it's till jerky.
** Homebrew desktop: AMD Phenom X4 9950 Black Edition, 4Gb RAM, integrated Radeon HD3300 + discrete Radeon 4850 512M, Windows 7 Ultimate (for games), ArchLinux i686, Gnome, 2.6.29, catalyst 9.4... (this now just rocks in lunix, really! )
Kirurgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-08, 10:25 AM   #5
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Quote:
Originally Posted by p6s View Post
.moreover , I didn't even know what a composite manager was before you mentioned it and I certainly didn't install such things (my Ubuntu install is 2 days old, Linux newbie here )
so the problem doesn't seem to be that one...
Recent versions of Ubuntu install compiz by default. Run "ps aux | grep compiz" in a terminal to see if it's running. If it is, open the appearance control panel and disable "desktop effects".

Quote:
Originally Posted by p6s View Post
.last but not least, I wonder if that proprietary driver did install that well...
while I have my nice Nivia logo on boot/nvidia settings access in apps->system tools (well, outils systeme here in France, not sure it's translated like this), I see...nothing in proprietary drivers list. is that normal ?
If you see the logo and nvidia-settings works, then the driver is working.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-08, 02:34 PM   #6
p6s

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP View Post
Recent versions of Ubuntu install compiz by default. Run "ps aux | grep compiz" in a terminal to see if it's running. If it is, open the appearance control panel and disable "desktop effects".
SCORE

after disabling that, videos run smooth, terrific.
I tried glxgears too and the results are insane :
4800 fps without desktop effects
2200 fps with standard effects

now I "need" eventually something like compiz in standard mode , but without the heavy side effects. but If I have to choose I'll keep my videos smooth rather than better closing window effect

thanks !