Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Rumor Mill

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-27-02, 11:33 PM   #13
SavagePaladin
info*****

NV has never lied to me, sure they hype their products but everyone does. So I guess I should stop buying everything, including food cause of that.
Ahem. Anyway. It's not vaporware, we may not know how it'll perform but I expect nothing less than what they always give with a new release....an awesome card.
Anyone got some food? I'm hungry.
SavagePaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-02, 11:48 PM   #14
ThorAxe

Now I don't want to start a flame war.... I'm just curious. Does anyone remember the last decent ATI card that came out before the Radeon?

As for NV30 it should be at least 10-15% faster than the 9700. You can accept this now or when it comes out later in the year.
Old 07-27-02, 11:54 PM   #15
Lezmaka

Quote:
Originally posted by SsP45
It's still vapourware. Nvidia can state anything they want on paper, but until I can hold the card in my hands talk means nothing.
Do you consider the Radeon 9700 vaporware as well? That card is not available for sale yet either.
Lezmaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-02, 12:21 AM   #16
mavis
Radeon X800 Pro

Quote:
Originally posted by Lezmaka

Do you consider the Radeon 9700 vaporware as well? That card is not available for sale yet either.
Right on the money, Lezmaka. I haven't seen pictures of either card yet, nor have I seen any previews/reviews, or demos. In fact, I would venture a guess that NOBODY has ever held an R300 in their hands, or an NV30. I would love to see proof of either.

lol

mavis
Old 07-28-02, 12:26 AM   #17
SsP45

Quote:
Originally posted by mavis

Right on the money, Lezmaka. I haven't seen pictures of either card yet, nor have I seen any previews/reviews, or demos. In fact, I would venture a guess that NOBODY has ever held an R300 in their hands, or an NV30. I would love to see proof of either.

lol

mavis
Well, I have seen pictures of the card and read many previews that actually have numbers in them. So I would say that the R9700 is about as real as it gets. Even if it's not, it's still a hell of a lot more than I have seen of the NV30.
SsP45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-02, 12:28 AM   #18
mavis
Radeon X800 Pro

oh wait a minute ...

I was able to find this page at ATi.com, but I checked Nvidia.com and wasn't able to find anything at all about the NV30, no press releases, nothing. In fact, I even went so far as to search for "NV30" using thier site's search engine ... still, nothing. Maybe you could provide a link to some screenshots of the NV30, I mean assuming the card isn't actually "vaporware" at this point, there MUST be pictures circulating somewhere, right??

Oh well.

mavis
Old 07-28-02, 12:29 AM   #19
mavis
Radeon X800 Pro

Quote:
Originally posted by SsP45

Well, I have seen pictures of the card and read many previews that actually have numbers in them. So I would say that the R9700 is about as real as it gets. Even if it's not, it's still a hell of a lot more than I have seen of the NV30.
damn, you beat me! I was just trying to make a point ...

mavis

ps I'm just gonna keep ckecking back here for pics of the not-vaporware NV30 ... lol
Old 07-28-02, 12:33 AM   #20
SsP45

Well, incase you don't believe me, here are some benchmark numbers. Notice the GeForce 4 Ti4600 with 4X FSAA compared to the Radeon 9700 with 4X FSAA.

In the above FSAA tests, the Radeon 9700 is faster than a Ti4600 even when 4X FSAA is enabled on the Radeon. That is not what I would call vapourware.

Old 07-28-02, 01:01 AM   #21
Lezmaka

According to you,
Quote:
until I can hold the card in my hands talk means nothing.
My point was that you can't buy either card right now, and the only way to get one in your hands is if you know some people in high places.

The NV30 is vaporware because you can't hold it in your hands, but even though you can't do the same thing with the Radeon 9700, it's not vaporware. Makes perfect sense to me

So basically, it looks like your head doesn't know where your ass is, or maybe it's cuz your head is in your ass.
Lezmaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-02, 01:03 AM   #22
Matthyahuw

Send a message via ICQ to Matthyahuw Send a message via AIM to Matthyahuw Send a message via Yahoo to Matthyahuw

Why do you think nVidia would lie about what the NV30 can do?
They eventually have to back it up, and I'm sure if they couldn't pull it off, they'd severely pay in some bad PR from the other camp (and especially from Kyle @ HardOCP).

I have no doubt nVidia can deliver on their claims.
And as far as I'm concered ATi's is the one that should be proving, not nVida, especially with their track record, and the way they told the previewers to portray the data in percentages only...very misleading...
Don't get me wrong, I think the R300 will be a kick-ass product, I just think the NV30 will be better...
Old 07-28-02, 01:05 AM   #23
SavagePaladin
info*****

I was under the impression the definition of vaporware was something you can't determine if its ever coming out, and I'm pretty positive nvidia will survive to the end of the year, and release it.
SavagePaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-02, 01:13 AM   #24
SsP45

Quote:
Originally posted by Matthyahuw
Why do you think nVidia would lie about what the NV30 can do?
They eventually have to back it up, and I'm sure if they couldn't pull it off, they'd severely pay in some bad PR from the other camp (and especially from Kyle @ HardOCP).

I have no doubt nVidia can deliver on their claims.
And as far as I'm concered ATi's is the one that should be proving, not nVida, especially with their track record, and the way they told the previewers to portray the data in percentages only...very misleading...
Don't get me wrong, I think the R300 will be a kick-ass product, I just think the NV30 will be better...
With the Radeon 9700, ATI has proven themselves.

Quote:
analysts and rivals say Nvidia was several weeks late in sending its design specifications to Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co.
If that is true, then it appears Nvidia had to redesign (at least partially) the NV30 to make it as fast or faster than the R300. If that's true, then ATI really did catch Nvidia off guard and released a product faster than Nvidia expected.