Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Rumor Mill

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-28-02, 01:24 AM   #25
SavagePaladin
info*****

It could be that TSMC had told them they weren't ready to produce it.
Who knows, who cares.
SavagePaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-02, 01:24 AM   #26
mavis
Radeon X800 Pro

Quote:
Originally posted by Lezmaka
So basically, it looks like your head doesn't know where your ass is, or maybe it's cuz your head is in your ass.
Thanks for that objective assessment, Lezmaka! I won't return the favor by speculating as to what's been up your ass because quite frankly, it just doesn't interest me.

btw, I'm still waiting for those NV30 pics ... ??

mavis
Old 07-28-02, 01:24 AM   #27
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by SsP45

With the Radeon 9700, ATI has proven themselves.

If that is true, then it appears Nvidia had to redesign (at least partially) the NV30 to make it as fast or faster than the R300. If that's true, then ATI really did catch Nvidia off guard and released a product faster than Nvidia expected.
there's no way they can redesign the chip and still have it out this year. yes, there have been rumors that NV30 will be delayed till next year, but it seems more and more likely that it won't. for nvidia to physically redesign the chip now would be impossible, these cards are being designed and worked on for 1-2 years before they are produced. ATI hasn't "proven" themselves by a long shot. the card isn't shipping yet, and all we have are previews, no reviews, and perhaps more importantly, no user reviews.
Old 07-28-02, 01:27 AM   #28
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by Matthyahuw
Why do you think nVidia would lie about what the NV30 can do?
They eventually have to back it up, and I'm sure if they couldn't pull it off, they'd severely pay in some bad PR from the other camp (and especially from Kyle @ HardOCP).

well, nvidia has made such claims in the past, both about the TNT and the TNT2, about the performance of these cards destroying everything else on the market

Quote:
I have no doubt nVidia can deliver on their claims.
And as far as I'm concered ATi's is the one that should be proving, not nVida, especially with their track record, and the way they told the previewers to portray the data in percentages only...very misleading...
Don't get me wrong, I think the R300 will be a kick-ass product, I just think the NV30 will be better...
bingo
Old 07-28-02, 03:26 AM   #29
Kruno
TypeDef's assistant

Send a message via ICQ to Kruno Send a message via AIM to Kruno

If Nvidia do nothing about their aniso implementation than the R300 would be faster at high res AA and aniso. Take a look at current performance hits with aniso enabled and Geforce 3+4 users (not so much G3).
Old 07-28-02, 04:37 AM   #30
DIMA

Send a message via ICQ to DIMA

These pictures are definetly an indication of what NV30 will be capable of, I have no doubt about it!

Now I see ATI fans getting mad, but remember, even if R300 will be capable of rendering this, it would PROBABLY take more passes for it to do so.

Note: I have no idea how many instructions were used on these pics, so I may as well be wrong.
DIMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-02, 04:41 AM   #31
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by K.I.L.E.R
If Nvidia do nothing about their aniso implementation than the R300 would be faster at high res AA and aniso. Take a look at current performance hits with aniso enabled and Geforce 3+4 users (not so much G3).
there's nothing really wrong with the AF performance in OGL. it is decent as it is. however, if it is not improved with NV30, then you have a legitimate complaint. also, what exactly is the performance hit of AF on the R9700?

i'm still interested in seeing some real reviews of the R9700, as i really think it will be rather cpu limited at say 1024X768. and i have no intention of playing at ultra high resolution of 1600X1200. needless to say, it will be interesting to see actual performance of NV30 and R9700
Old 07-28-02, 05:17 AM   #32
Richthofen

why statring a flame war.

There is nothing to worry about. R300 will be in store around September. NV30 little later but i bet this year.

Most people who are looking for an high end card at this time will wait until both are out.
Probably the NV30 will be better. I don't know how it will perform with AF and AA and how the raw performance will be but one thing i know for sure. It will be more programmable.
In that case Nvidia has done a good job because Developers will continue to use their hardware for new games.

Concerning their track record over years now i have now doubt that they will be very competitive.
Since the day when ATI announced their DX9 part Nvidia will keep on leaking infos on their part. That is business guys just face it. Most people will wait and i think that is the best we can do no matter what you wanna buy. If you want to buy a NV30 you will wait anyway. If you wanna buy a R300 you better wait too. If the nV30 is better then i will promise you that the R300 will get a lot cheaper.

Until know both are vapoware. I cant buy a NV30 and a R300 too.
ATI did the announcment so early because they want to cripple GF4TI sales and because they wanted to be the first one with a full DX9 part. Maybe Siggraph was a reason too.
Nvidia will do the same with their NV30 leaks.

Concerning the delay we have no other info than Nvidia saying NV30 will be their fall part. Until they keep stating this the NV30 is on schedule for this year and nothing else.
Richthofen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-02, 05:32 AM   #33
Kruno
TypeDef's assistant

What flame war?
SH I seen some benches somewhere that a Ti 4600 was getting a 3dmark of around 4600 while R300 10k both cards with max settings. This was recently (within the month).
Old 07-28-02, 05:36 AM   #34
DIMA

Quote:
Originally posted by K.I.L.E.R
What flame war?
SH I seen some benches somewhere that a Ti 4600 was getting a 3dmark of around 4600 while R300 10k both cards with max settings. This was recently (within the month).
If I remember correctly, it was with AF & AA enabled on both cards.
Old 07-28-02, 06:06 AM   #35
Kruno
TypeDef's assistant

Yeh. Doesn't that count as max IQ? (rhetorical question)
I think they supplied screenshots as well did they?
Old 07-28-02, 06:08 AM   #36
DIMA

That I don't remember...

But i don't think they did...