Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-26-07, 03:10 AM   #1
at0mik
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 24
Default xvmc and geforce 8600 GT

Hi,

My question is simple: Is there any plans for xvmc support on geforce 8600 GT ?
I pay 150 euros for this card and it would be cool to have that support (specially for HD TV)

Thanks
at0mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-07, 05:11 AM   #2
JK1974
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2
Default Re: xvmc and geforce 8600 GT

And one more question: Is xvmc designed only for acceleration of MPEG-2 or does it also work on H.264?
JK1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-07, 02:03 PM   #3
zbiggy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 623
Default Re: xvmc and geforce 8600 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by at0mik
Hi,

My question is simple: Is there any plans for xvmc support on geforce 8600 GT ?
No. No for any of Geforce8 GPUs. (However there is 1% chance in far future).

Quote:
Originally Posted by at0mik
I pay 150 euros for this card and it would be cool to have that support (specially for HD TV)
Geforce7 is last Geforce with XvMC support.
S3 added XvMC support to its Chrome GPUs recently. But in Europe their cards are impossible to buy. This might be alternative till Nvidia will bring XvMC back to new Geforces. Nobody tested S3 in Linux yet.
zbiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-07, 02:50 PM   #4
zbiggy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 623
Default Re: xvmc and geforce 8600 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK1974
And one more question: Is xvmc designed only for acceleration of MPEG-2 or does it also work on H.264?
XvMC supports MPEG-4.
-
Nvidia driver does not support MPEG-4.
+
Nvidia hardware since geforce6 supports MPEG-4.
=
Ask Nvidia to add MPEG-4 support to Linux driver to complete the broken chain.

X.org developers are working on improving XvMC with better acceleration:
http://people.freedesktop.org/~zhen/xds2007_xvmc.pdf
here they work:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~zhen/videoproto/

The sad thing is that all these great XvMC API and top quality hardware is killed with primitive driver which is unable to use these features.
Big GPU companies waste time and money on making powerful hardware which then remains unused. The R&D resources should be equally split between hardware and driver creation to make really good product.
This sick situation will continue till customers will check what in real life is offered than blindly believing in raw tech specs on colourful boxes or in newspaper news. By using Linux I learned to check driver features first, later ask other users if these driver caps are supported for real then buy.

I still remember ATI Radeon 9000 and loudly advertised fullstream deblocking feature for smoothing blocky movies. It was never implemented in driver even in windows == totally unusable (only Radeon 9500 and higher supported this feature only in DivX player and only in special edition of RealPlayer which was not downloadable).

This post is not against Nvidia because all other GPU manufacturers have the same problem. I can only blame the press which focus on paper tech specs of GPUs instead of checking how they look in real life after driver installation.

I hope r.i.p Nvidia XvMC will come back someday in glory by adding full acceleration suite and not only mpeg-2.
zbiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-07, 04:29 AM   #5
at0mik
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 24
Default Re: xvmc and geforce 8600 GT

And no developer to answer the question ;-)

Time to wait and see if ati/amd have better driver...
at0mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-07, 01:55 PM   #6
zbiggy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 623
Default Re: xvmc and geforce 8600 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by at0mik
And no developer to answer the question ;-)

Time to wait and see if ati/amd have better driver...
Do not expect any answer. Nvidia devs said XvMC for Geforce8 has ultra low priority. They said also XvMC for Geforce8 have to be written since beginning because Geforce8 has completely new architecture and old XvMC can not be easily ported.

ATI/AMD has no XvMC at all. They improved driver much in 3D, but 2D and video is still behind Nvidia.

To my surprise S3 (which has 0,03% of market) developed initial driver for Chrome S20 GPUs with XvMC hardware acceleration. Very well. They have done in initial driver what ATI can not do since 8 years, and what Nvidia has trouble with. Big come back. What a pity I can not buy S3 Chrome here in Europe to check what it can do.

Believe or not but there is a group of people who use XvMC, video and 2D all the time and 3D occasionally.
zbiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-07, 12:22 AM   #7
energyman76b
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Clausthal/Germany
Posts: 1,104
Default Re: xvmc and geforce 8600 GT

There are notebooks with chrome video. Even in europe. Just google. And read all the horror stories....
energyman76b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-08, 10:08 AM   #8
Neeesat
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5
Default Re: xvmc and geforce 8600 GT

NO CPU CAN MANAGE FULL HD 1080P without xvmc card.
I am playing FULL HD mkv files and I have CPU usage of 99.7%. I have test it on lots of AMD's and Intel Proccessors. I am testing 8500GT and 9600GS cards and I will return them back because of no xvmc support.

If Nvidia wants to sell cards to Linux users they have to make xvmc support to their cards.

I am using NVIDIA cards lots of years now but I am searching for a new brand because of this.
Neeesat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-08, 10:15 AM   #9
jcornwall
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 120
Default Re: xvmc and geforce 8600 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeesat View Post
NO CPU CAN MANAGE FULL HD 1080P without xvmc card.
I am playing FULL HD mkv files and I have CPU usage of 99.7%. I have test it on lots of AMD's and Intel Proccessors. I am testing 8500GT and 9600GS cards and I will return them back because of no xvmc support.
Well that's not true. I have a low-end (by today's standards) 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo and it plays a 1920x1200 (yes 1200p) .mkv file at only 60% CPU in both Totem and VideoLAN, no frame dropping.

I don't even use hardware-accelerated decoding on Windows because, frankly, there are better quality software decoders.
jcornwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-08, 12:54 PM   #10
Big P
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 180
Default Re: xvmc and geforce 8600 GT

I can play 1080p movies at ~45% cpu usage on one core on my e8400 @ 3.6ghz. GPU accelerated video is useful in the case of mid to low range HTPC's, stating no cpu can handle 1080p content is just ridiculous.
Big P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-08, 01:08 PM   #11
bram
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 17
Default Re: xvmc and geforce 8600 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big P View Post
I can play 1080p movies at ~45% cpu usage on one core on my e8400 @ 3.6ghz. GPU accelerated video is useful in the case of mid to low range HTPC's, stating no cpu can handle 1080p content is just ridiculous.
My 1.6Ghz intel is not able to playback 1080p.
It drops frames, and is at 100% cpu load.
It would be nice if my 8600 GT would help this cpu out.
Maybe I will downgrade to my old 6600, to see if I get faster video playback.

Bram
bram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-08, 02:30 PM   #12
bram
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 17
Default Re: xvmc and geforce 8600 GT

Ok, I downgraded from 8600 GT to my old 6600.
As a side note: 2d performance is much better (!)

But the 1080p video playback is still too slow.
mplayer -vo xvmc gives me:

...
vo_xvmc: X-Video extension 2.2
vo_xvmc: X-Video MotionCompensation Extension version 1.1
...
The selected video_out device is incompatible with this codec.
...

H264 is not supported by xvmc, not even with a 6 series.
Too bad, as it means I can only view this video if I upgrade my motherboard and cpu.

Bram
bram is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.