Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-28-08, 12:22 AM   #1
Mutrino

Default Ubuntu and nvidia display drivers

Hi all,

I hope someone can help me with this.
I have seen a million threads on this issue with about as many 'solutions'. The issue of course the 'simple' task of installing nvidia videocard drivers for my GTX260 in Ubuntu 8. I have already wasted 2 days trying to install the newest drivers (downloaded from the nvidia site), without success. I have read the stickies, I have read the nvidia install instructions, I have tried the various ways I found online, nothing works. My Ubuntu install is hosed and I have reinstalled it so I do not have any debug log files. I am a total linux noob and if someone has a step by step way of doing this that would be great. I dont even want to think about what computer science degree I'd need to make a dual monitor setup work. I really want to try Linux but this is almost not worth the hassle.

If anything I do now understand why Linux is not for the masses, it is far to user unfriendly and complicated to be of any use to mere mortals.

Thanks for letting this noob vent and I hope someone can help me out here.

Cheers.
Mutrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-08, 02:14 PM   #2
tucoz

Default Re: Ubuntu and nvidia display drivers

Hi, i guess you mean ubuntu 8.04 (hardy heron) when you say ubuntu 8.
You shouldn't download the nvidia drivers from nvidia. Instead, use the "hardware drivers" application under System -> Administration which should list the nvidia drivers. Simply click on the nvidia driver there, and activate. That works like a charm for me, and is the recommended way of installing the drivers on ubuntu.
tucoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-08, 02:45 PM   #3
Mutrino

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucoz View Post
Hi, i guess you mean ubuntu 8.04 (hardy heron) when you say ubuntu 8.
You shouldn't download the nvidia drivers from nvidia. Instead, use the "hardware drivers" application under System -> Administration which should list the nvidia drivers. Simply click on the nvidia driver there, and activate. That works like a charm for me, and is the recommended way of installing the drivers on ubuntu.
Yes I mean Ubuntu 8.04. Thanks for your reply. I tried that already. There are no drivers listed at all in the location you specify. I am stuck in 600x800 mode.
Old 09-28-08, 03:06 PM   #4
jcornwall

Neither the packaged drivers nor even the envy driver will support the GTX 260 on Hardy. Intrepid includes bleeding edge support in the nvidia-glx-177 package but the stable release won't be for another month yet.

To make the GTX 260 work on Hardy you'll have to install the beta driver outside the packaging system. I don't recommend it if you're unfamiliar with the command line but the process goes roughly like this.

1. Download 177.78 from the sticky in this forum.
2. dpkg -l | grep nvidia
3. sudo aptitude purge <package1> <package2> ... for each package listed by the preceding command except nvidia-kernel-common.
4. Ctrl-Alt-F2 to switch to a VT and log in.
5. sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
6. chmod 755 /path/to/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-177.78-pkg2.run
7. sudo /path/to/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-177.78-pkg2.run
8. Let the driver build and install. You might be missing a compiler and kernel headers, Google to find which packages you need to install.
9. Let it modify your X configuration file.
10. Apply performance fixes suggested in sticky thread to /etc/X11/xorg.conf
10. sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start

And off you go. My advice, just wait for Intrepid next month.
jcornwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-08, 03:23 PM   #5
Mutrino

Thanks for the specific reply. I am however not savvy enough to do this and I think I will just wait for a package that will support the GTX260.

Cheers
Arne
Old 09-28-08, 04:44 PM   #6
Kirurgs

Hey, this is not that hard as it sounds really... See...
You download drivers, that should be easy, put them on your desktop. Then You find Synaptics package manager in the menu, easy, then find some linux-kernel-source or so (I was on Fedoras and now I'm on ArchLinux, can't say precise about Ubuntu, as personally me don't like it at all), mark as install, then find some build-essential or gcc, mark them for install and proceed.
Next step is change to console by pressing Ctrl+F1.
Commands You actually need are (as previos poster stated):
sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
sudo sh /home/<your user name>/Desktop/NVIDIA... (the file you downloaded)
Answer Yes or Accept or so to everything you see on the screen.
After successful install, enter:
sudo reboot

That's it, now You have nVidia driver installed.
I always install drivers by hand (like I wrote above) due to one reason: I know what driver (and usually it's the latest) is on my system and never went wrong due to some distro packaging thing or too new hardware (like your situation).
To me Ubuntu tries to be too user friendly even it is not... And to make this a bit not too serious => brown color reminds me just one thing

P.S. There must be some really good how-to about installing drivers by hand on Ubuntu! That's one of the things I liked in Ubuntu when I was a newbie like 3 years ago or so
** Homebrew desktop: AMD Phenom X4 9950 Black Edition, 4Gb RAM, integrated Radeon HD3300 + discrete Radeon 4850 512M, Windows 7 Ultimate (for games), ArchLinux i686, Gnome, 2.6.29, catalyst 9.4... (this now just rocks in lunix, really! )
Kirurgs is offline   Reply With Quote