Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-02-08, 09:58 PM   #25
jyavenard
MythTV developer

Default Re: Integrated Geforce 8200 woes: high X CPU on video playback

Quote:
Originally Posted by jafar View Post
New driver! 180.11 time! Any luck? I think I might try it myself, since I now have vsync off, which is annoying, but better than the alternative.
Same thing..

it's fairly obvious nVidia priority with Linux drivers is to work on the VDPAU API and supporting more cards..

None of the major issues with their drivers (opengl > 1.2 not working, vsync issue, xorg 100% cpu usage etc...) have been fixed

It seems that the nVidia linux team is fairly small and is not big enough to take on all those tasks... I can imagine on how the current developers are completely overloaded while trying their best.
jyavenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-08, 07:27 AM   #26
bogey

I encountered this same problem, after I found out the Modeline what enables smooth playback with my Sony w4000.

GPU is 9400 IGP on Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H

I'm using vdr + xinelibout with settings
tvtime:use_progressive_frame_flag=1,pulldown=0,met hod=Greedy2Frame,framerate_mode=full,cheap_mode=0, chroma_filter=1 .

When I set cheap mode to 1, xorg cpu usage drops to 3%...

I use DVI output.

I have tried 180.11 and 177.82 drivers.
Attached Files
File Type: zip nvidia-bug-report.zip (36.9 KB, 128 views)
bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-08, 03:13 PM   #27
nV_Colt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyavenard View Post
Same thing..

it's fairly obvious nVidia priority with Linux drivers is to work on the VDPAU API and supporting more cards..

None of the major issues with their drivers (opengl > 1.2 not working, vsync issue, xorg 100% cpu usage etc...) have been fixed

It seems that the nVidia linux team is fairly small and is not big enough to take on all those tasks... I can imagine on how the current developers are completely overloaded while trying their best.
I don't understand why Nvidia's priority is introducing new driver features when the existing features are broken or not stable. This is backwards thinking. I've primarily bought nvidia cards in the past when I used windows operating systems, but I find it difficult to continue that trend when they will not even respond to threads concerning Xorg and driver issues.
nV_Colt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-08, 07:23 AM   #28
bogey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogey View Post
I encountered this same problem, after I found out the Modeline what enables smooth playback with my Sony w4000.

GPU is 9400 IGP on Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H

I'm using vdr + xinelibout with settings
tvtime:use_progressive_frame_flag=1,pulldown=0,met hod=Greedy2Frame,framerate_mode=full,cheap_mode=0, chroma_filter=1 .

When I set cheap mode to 1, xorg cpu usage drops to 3%...

I use DVI output.

I have tried 180.11 and 177.82 drivers.
I'm using xv for video out, I tried opengl also, but it's not that smooth.

For mplayer vdpau as video out works great, it can be used also for software decoding.
I hope that vdpau support for xine comes soon, so it can be used also with vdr-sxfe.
bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-08, 04:41 AM   #29
Thuffir

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepigs View Post
xv vsync disabled (via nvidia-settings) with opengl sync enabled (via mythtv menus) seems to be working in mythtv now. Maybe its something to do with Mythtv??
The same trick also worked for me.

I have Mythbuntu Interpid 64bit, with a 8400GS. (Stock 177.80 driver)
Thuffir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-08, 09:21 AM   #30
zim2dive

Not sure if I have the same problem or not...

In limited testing, video playback under mplayer/VLC seems fine.

But I installed Flash(x86_64) last night (for Firefox), and can't play a full-screen video at better than 2-3 fps .. performance is simply horrid.

I noted Xorg was at 90% or more of the cpu (dual-core AMD 2.7GHz).

I'm using the 177.82 driver on Ubuntu 8.10
zim2dive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-08, 03:32 PM   #31
mehukatti

I installed MythTV a few days ago and since then went back to watching television (DVB) with plain Xine. With MythTV, X process seems to consume something like 90% CPU (as reported by top in "irix" mode) when watching TV. And actually the worse problem is that I have a dual head setup and when eg. scrolling a page in Firefox on other monitor, the TV picture halts to stop momentarily. My setup is Intel Core 2 Q8200 Quad Core, 6GB DDR2-800 (dual channel), GeForce 9300 / 730i (integrated graphics on Asus P5N7A-VM MoBo), FC10 with latest updates and 177.82 Nvidia driver. I tried fiddling with the settings and could get the CPU consumption a bit down (e.g. setting worse deinterlacing option) but the other problem remained. I think I will try VDR next.
mehukatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-09, 10:01 PM   #32
jafar

Hey, everyone. I've discovered that DOWNgrading to driver 173.xx fixes all my 2d performance issues on 8200, except the x cpu vsync problem.

180.xx is out of beta now, as of 180.22.

Still no specific mention of any 8200 problems in the release notes, though.
jafar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-09, 07:30 AM   #33
quadtree

I have the exact problem mentioned by many people on this thread when using mythtv to watch 720p channels from my STB (via firewire) on my 720p TV. On any 720p channel, X will eventually go crazy and take 95%+ of one core's time. This happens using either xv or opengl to output the video, and it never happens on 1080i or 480i channels.

I'm using mplayer with the VDPAU patches to watch SD and HD videos, and I haven't seen any problems with that, either. I'm running mythtv 0.21, so no VDPAU there.
quadtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-09, 07:57 AM   #34
mforget

is compiz / effects on?
mforget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-09, 10:24 AM   #35
quadtree

Quote:
Originally Posted by mforget View Post
is compiz / effects on?
No. Don't even have a compositing window manager installed on this box, and the composite extension is disabled. This seems to be a long-standing problem when xvideo is used with 'sync to vblank' in the video texture adapter and when the source video matches the display. In my case, I have a 720p HDTV and this only happens when am tuned to a 720p channel on my STB. Never happens with 1080i or 480i sources. It also doesn't happen if I uncheck 'Sync to VBlank' on the X Server XVideo Settings page in nvidia-settings. Of course then I get top-of-frame tearing.

However, this only seems to be an issue when using Mythtv's internal player. At least so far I don't see this when playing the same video sources in mplayer, either with xv or vdpau.
Old 01-22-09, 01:57 PM   #36
quadtree

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadtree View Post
However, this only seems to be an issue when using Mythtv's internal player. At least so far I don't see this when playing the same video sources in mplayer, either with xv or vdpau.
I need to amend this. I now have observed the exact same problem in mplayer, using xv for video output. As of yet I have not seen this when using vdpau.