Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-17-09, 06:59 AM   #49
pataphysician

Default Re: Integrated Geforce 8200 woes: high X CPU on video playback

This article below might help clarify hardware acceleration for Flash and it's problems (can't use Compiz, might actually be slower in many instances). If your performance in unaccelerated Flash(unmark the checkbox in flash settings) is the same as when using VESA driver, that's as good as it's probably capable of getting, without changes from Adobe.

http://blogs.adobe.com/penguin.swf/2...s_the_gpu.html
pataphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-09, 08:01 AM   #50
zim2dive

Quote:
Originally Posted by pataphysician View Post
This article below might help clarify hardware acceleration for Flash and it's problems (can't use Compiz, might actually be slower in many instances). If your performance in unaccelerated Flash(unmark the checkbox in flash settings) is the same as when using VESA driver, that's as good as it's probably capable of getting, without changes from Adobe.

http://blogs.adobe.com/penguin.swf/2...s_the_gpu.html
I have Compiz off. Trust me, I've been debugging the Flash/8200 issue for 2 months now... simply back to square 1 since we have a driver that un-crippled our 8200's. 2 months ago, no one would believe me when I suggested the problem was nVidia, they were too used to blaming Adobe.

Now we are in a much more middle ground where we have to find a clue to know in which direction the problem lies, hence trying to gather info on comparable CPU usage for specific video.

What I can definitively say is that under Windows, performance is still MUCH MUCH better. The trick is to figure out why.

any way that Flash could ever make use of VDPAU? (or if Adobe won't do it, could gnash do it?)
zim2dive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-09, 08:17 AM   #51
mocharhw

Is this issue fixed in the 180.60 version? I have the problem one of the posters described with high CPU during OpenGL rendering when sync to vblank is on. The CPU usage is intermittent though. Some of the time it will be 100%, then at random it drops to 10 or 20%. When it drops it appears that the vblank sync turns off.

It's a very strange thing, when the CPU is being consumed there is no tearing, but as soon as the CPU usage cycles down, a tear line appears. A good example where you can see this is in applications such as SDLMAME and MythTV.

I don't run compiz, composite is disabled, and my xorg.conf has UseEvents and TripleBuffering turned on. I'm running 180.53 on a 9500GT card.
mocharhw is offline   Reply With Quote