Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-25-08, 07:27 PM   #1
bacon12

Default Vista 32/64

I have most of my components for my htpc, board is posting and I think everything is gonna work out. I just don't know if 64 bit home premium is gonna give me compatibility issues?

I will probably be getting a br drive in the future as I think the price is gonna drop significantly. I just want some feedback on apps, and if there would be any issues with 64 bit. I won't be using a tv tuner right now either, just my movie and music collection, and music streams.

I run 64 bit ultimate in my gaming rig and love it, my htpc will have a 2x2 gig set in it and I want to use if if I need it. What are your experiences with it, any drawnbacks?
bacon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-08, 07:32 PM   #2
Q

Default Re: Vista 32/64

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon12 View Post
I have most of my components for my htpc, board is posting and I think everything is gonna work out. I just don't know if 64 bit home premium is gonna give me compatibility issues?

I will probably be getting a br drive in the future as I think the price is gonna drop significantly. I just want some feedback on apps, and if there would be any issues with 64 bit. I won't be using a tv tuner right now either, just my movie and music collection, and music streams.

I run 64 bit ultimate in my gaming rig and love it, my htpc will have a 2x2 gig set in it and I want to use if if I need it. What are your experiences with it, any drawnbacks?
In a nutshell, yes. I run several HTPC machines running MCE 2005 and Vista MCE. The 64 bit version caused many more driver headaches.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-08, 07:35 PM   #3
bacon12

Bahh, I just want it to work without a whole lot of ****ing around. If I wanted to have to tweak and scour the internets I would install mythdora.
Old 09-25-08, 07:43 PM   #4
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

See my signature.

I am running 32-bit on my HTPC simply for compatability but, since my primary media server/system is not having ANY issues (other than the occasional Nvidia BSOD b.s.) I am going to migrate strictly to Vista x64 for my next build. I will continue using Home Premium for my HTPC but will switch it to x64, just have to get an AMD card with HDMI out to reduce cable count/improve driver stability.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-08, 08:12 PM   #5
Bman212121

I have 64 bit ultimate on my HTPC and not really any issues there. Movies and music are simple things so it shouldn't be an issue. Trying to get a TV tuner or drivers for capture cards could be where you would run into trouble.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-08, 10:03 PM   #6
bacon12

I think I am gonna go with 64 anyways, the lcd display I bought has full support, and the apps I currently use work.

I don't really like MC anyways, and don't use it.

This is the lcd I bought in case anyone is wondering, and I am building the case from scratch. I could have bought a nice htpc case for the money I will have in it, but I want something that will look like a piece of furniture and blend in.

Gonna be fun building something again, and I will post a worklog for you guys to checkout.