Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 200 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-06-08, 10:06 PM   #1
ryan29121
mmmkay
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: United States, WI
Posts: 297
Default 9800 GX2 or GTX 260?

I'm in the market for a new card and I have noticed that today on Newegg they have a 9800 GX2 for $270. Before I saw this I was considering the GTX 260 and possibly the new 216 version of the 260. After looking at quite a bit of benchmarks, including the site listed below, it appears that the 9800 GX2 is a much better card for the same amount of money. Besides the fact that it consumes much more power than the 260 it out performs the 260 by a substantial margin. Would you say that the 9800 GX2 is the best card for under $300 at the moment? I do thank you in advance for your help. I apologize if a similar thread was posted earlier, since I do not post here much, I am unaware of what topics have already been brought up. Thanks for your help.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3341&p=1
__________________
| Cooler Master Cosmos | Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R (F13C BIOS)|
|Core 2 Quad Q6600 GO @ 3.40GHz w/ Zalman CNPS9700 NT | EVGA 8800GT 512MB @ 700, 1025 w/ AC Accelero S1 |
|OCZ GameXStream 700W | 8GB G.SKILL DDR2 800 @ 1066, 4-4-4-12| Seagate 7200.10 320GB & 7200.11 1TB |
| Creative X-FI Platinum Fatal1ty Pro PCI-E | x2 Samsung 245BW 24" |
| Windows 7 Ultimate x64 |
| Logitech G15 | Logitech G5 Ver.2 |Logitech z5500 5.1 |
||3dMark 06: 15003||
||Games I'm Playing: Modern Warfare 2, Left 4 dead 2, Dragon age, Borderlands||
ryan29121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-08, 10:08 PM   #2
jcrox
Mahna Mahna
 
jcrox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Madison, Wi
Posts: 6,134
Default Re: 9800 GX2 or GTX 260?

If you want to risk dealing with the headaches of a dual chip card it's great. Of the 5 or so people that I personally know that have had the 9800GX2 none have had good things to say about it.
__________________

Gaming

MSI MPower Z87 | 4770k | CNPS9900MAX-B | 8GB G.Skill 1866 | EVGA GTX760 |ThermalTake 850w | X-Fi Titanium | HAF | Asus PA248Q | Lycosa | Death Adder | Win8 Pro 64

Dev/Backup

MSI GD65 | 2500k | H50 | 8GB G.skill | GTX570 | Ubuntu 13.10

Laptop

17" Inspiron | i5 | 4GB DDR3 | 500GB HDD | Win7 Pro 64

jcrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-08, 10:08 PM   #3
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,948
Default Re: 9800 GX2 or GTX 260?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan29121 View Post
I'm in the market for a new card and I have noticed that today on Newegg they have a 9800 GX2 for $270. Before I saw this I was considering the GTX 260 and possibly the new 216 version of the 260. After looking at quite a bit of benchmarks, including the site listed below, it appears that the 9800 GX2 is a much better card for the same amount of money. Besides the fact that it consumes much more power than the 260 it out performs the 260 by a substantial margin. Would you say that the 9800 GX2 is the best card for under $300 at the moment? I do thank you in advance for your help. I apologize if a similar thread was posted earlier, since I do not post here much, I am unaware of what topics have already been brought up. Thanks for your help.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3341&p=1

GX2 has microstutter. GTX 260 FTW easily.
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-08, 07:26 AM   #4
ryan29121
mmmkay
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: United States, WI
Posts: 297
Default Re: 9800 GX2 or GTX 260?

What kind of problems are associated with dual chips cards like the gx2?
__________________
| Cooler Master Cosmos | Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R (F13C BIOS)|
|Core 2 Quad Q6600 GO @ 3.40GHz w/ Zalman CNPS9700 NT | EVGA 8800GT 512MB @ 700, 1025 w/ AC Accelero S1 |
|OCZ GameXStream 700W | 8GB G.SKILL DDR2 800 @ 1066, 4-4-4-12| Seagate 7200.10 320GB & 7200.11 1TB |
| Creative X-FI Platinum Fatal1ty Pro PCI-E | x2 Samsung 245BW 24" |
| Windows 7 Ultimate x64 |
| Logitech G15 | Logitech G5 Ver.2 |Logitech z5500 5.1 |
||3dMark 06: 15003||
||Games I'm Playing: Modern Warfare 2, Left 4 dead 2, Dragon age, Borderlands||
ryan29121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-08, 08:00 AM   #5
LovingSticky
plenty of work, no games
 
LovingSticky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 559
Default Re: 9800 GX2 or GTX 260?

9800 GX2, that is easy. It has bigger power consumption, but is significantly faster (20-40% for most games). No problems at all even in Vista x64, as NVIDIA SLI is mature technology (unlike much younger ATI Crossfire).

GTX 260 is no competition for 9800GX2. Even GTX 280 comes hardly close for most games.
__________________
Q9550@3.4 + Asus P5Q Premium + 16GB RAM + 2xVelociraptor 300GB + 4xWD Black 1TB RAID-5 on Adaptec 5805 + PoV GTX580 + Dell 3008WFP + Windows 7 x64
Xbox 360 Elite + Kinect + Onkyo receiver + Acoustic Energy Aelite 1/3/center speakers + 46" FullHD Samsung TV
LovingSticky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-08, 08:13 AM   #6
trivium nate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,023
Default Re: 9800 GX2 or GTX 260?

omg i want that GX2 so bad!!!
(Must work more hours at work!!!!)
__________________
CM-HAF-932//AMD Phenom-II-X4-965-BE-Deneb-3.4 GHz-Quad Core//CorsairH50
ASRock 770 EXTREME3 Mobo//EVGA GTX-480(1536MB GDDR5)-Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme+cooler
180GB SSD//3TB//G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB//DVD-RW//blu-Ray//1000 Watt Corsair PSU
42"Vizio TV-1920x1080-1080P-120Hertz//Win 7 Ultimate(64)//XBox360-pc controller
Saitek Eclipse 2 keyboard//Razer DeathAdder Mouse//250gb-Xbox 360//160gb-PS3
trivium nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-08, 08:24 AM   #7
Tr1cK
not coming back
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 4,872
Default Re: 9800 GX2 or GTX 260?

The consensus is that multi-GPU is still crap and single GPU is still preferred. I don't see myself going multi-GPU anytime in the near future.

GTX260 for the win.
Tr1cK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-08, 08:25 AM   #8
parasiteeve
*BANNED*
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 34
Default Re: 9800 GX2 or GTX 260?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingSticky View Post
GTX 260 is no competition for 9800GX2. Even GTX 280 comes hardly close for most games.
Wrong wrong wrong. First of all bench marks do not tell the whole story, they dont show you that your min FPS will be much worse with the 9800GX2 and they also dont show you the clear benefits that the GTX 260 has over the stutter fest 9800GX2 due to the GTX 260's 448bit bus with 896mb of ram versus the 256bit bus with only 512mb of effective ram on the 9800GX2.


There are plenty of games today such as Example: Crysis and Oblivion with Quarls texture pack mod that will need more Vram than only 512mb if you game at a minimum of 1680X1050 and like to use AA with AF.



Peak FPS might be better at times with the 9800GX2 but your average FPS with the 260 will be much better and offer a much smoother gaming experience. Those times that you hit the ram limit with the 9800GX2 will make games run like crap compared to that of the GTX 260.

The only people that would tell you to take the 9800GX2 over the 260 are the ones who dont know any better.
parasiteeve is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-08, 08:32 AM   #9
LovingSticky
plenty of work, no games
 
LovingSticky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 559
Default Re: 9800 GX2 or GTX 260?

Well, I am SLI user from 2x6800ULTRA times (through 2x7800, 2x7900, 1x8800), and current 9800GX2 is absolutely problem-free. Argument about memory si true, but I have not found any game (except Crysis) that I could not run maxed-out at 2560x1600 (I usually do not use FSAA at this insane resolution, not needed). GTX 260 could NOT do that...

9800GX2 is still the king (there is absolutely no reason to exchange it for single GTX 280, not to mention GTX 260). Only 2x GTX 260 in SLI would be better.





__________________
Q9550@3.4 + Asus P5Q Premium + 16GB RAM + 2xVelociraptor 300GB + 4xWD Black 1TB RAID-5 on Adaptec 5805 + PoV GTX580 + Dell 3008WFP + Windows 7 x64
Xbox 360 Elite + Kinect + Onkyo receiver + Acoustic Energy Aelite 1/3/center speakers + 46" FullHD Samsung TV
LovingSticky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-08, 08:44 AM   #10
parasiteeve
*BANNED*
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 34
Default Re: 9800 GX2 or GTX 260?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingSticky View Post
Well, I am SLI user from 2x6800ULTRA times (through 2x7800, 2x7900, 1x8800), and current 9800GX2 is absolutely problem-free. Argument about memory si true, but I have not found any game (except Crysis) that I could not run maxed-out at 2560x1600. GTX 260 could NOT do that...
If your happy with your GX2 card then keep it, im not trying to talk you out of it as my replies are directed to the OP about which card he should get. Now for you to say that the 9800GX2 card is absolutely problem-free is absolutely absurd because the majority who have gone from the GX2 card to a 260 or 280 would beg to differ.

And again, you can post benchmarks showing that peak fps are better but it doesnt prove that the GX2 card is a better solution over a 260 or 280 because that simply isnt so, bench marks like the ones you posted do not show microstutter or the fact that the average and min FPS on that of a GX2 card is not as good as a 260 or 280.

And Im sorry but Crysis is not the only game that will cause memory issues for your card, go ahead and Install Quarls Texture pack mod for Oblivion and run it with 4XAA and 16XAF at 1680X1050 and tell me you still have enough Vram. Go ahead and run any UE3 engine based game with forced 4XAA 16XAF and tell me that you still have enough Vram.

My last card was a 512mb HD 4870 and all of those scenarios I just listed for you brought the card to its knees due to the Vram limit under the settings that I like to use. Hence why I purchased a GTX 260.


There are so many different post on different forums such as guru3d.com from users who got fed up with the GX2 due to inconsistency and stutter who upgraded to a 260 or 280 and have nothing but praises for how much smoother the gaming experience is with those cards vs the GX2.
parasiteeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-08, 09:02 AM   #11
LovingSticky
plenty of work, no games
 
LovingSticky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 559
Default Re: 9800 GX2 or GTX 260?

Quote:
Originally Posted by parasiteeve View Post
And again, you can post benchmarks showing that peak fps are better but it doesnt prove that the GX2 card is a better solution over a 260 or 280 because that simply isnt so, bench marks like the ones you posted do not show microstutter or the fact that the average and min FPS on that of a GX2 card is not as good as a 260 or 280.
You are wrong again. Those benchmarks show average FPS.

GTX 260 is a fine card, but no way competition to 9800GX2. GTX 280 is a direct competitor to 9800GX2, but no way GTX 260.
__________________
Q9550@3.4 + Asus P5Q Premium + 16GB RAM + 2xVelociraptor 300GB + 4xWD Black 1TB RAID-5 on Adaptec 5805 + PoV GTX580 + Dell 3008WFP + Windows 7 x64
Xbox 360 Elite + Kinect + Onkyo receiver + Acoustic Energy Aelite 1/3/center speakers + 46" FullHD Samsung TV
LovingSticky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-08, 09:11 AM   #12
parasiteeve
*BANNED*
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 34
Default Re: 9800 GX2 or GTX 260?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingSticky View Post
You are wrong again. Those benchmarks show average FPS.
Im not sure if those benchmarks are based on average or peak but either way the benchmarks still dont tell the whole story as it neglects to show min fps and microstutter both of which are issues that are much worse on a GX2 card vs a single 260 or 280 hence the smoother more consistent gaming experience.

Like I said, if your happy with your card then thats fine, but the OP did ask which card he should choose and based on the fact that he is purchasing a new GPU I would say he should get the card with the bigger bus and larger amounts of Vram if he does not want to have to upgrade again for a good while not to mention he will not have the headaches associated with the GX2 card.
parasiteeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Product Spotlight ' EVGA GTX 670 Review Round Up News GeForce GTX 670 Reviews 1 05-11-12 12:15 AM
New GPU from Nvidia Announced Today, the GeForce GTX 670 News Archived News Items 0 05-10-12 01:50 PM
GALAXY Launches the GeForce GTX 670 and GTX 670 GC! News Archived News Items 0 05-10-12 09:28 AM
Gainward Unleashes the Sexy GeForce GTX 670 Phantom Graphics Card, Also launches the News Archived News Items 0 05-10-12 09:28 AM
NVIDIA Unleashes the GeForce GTX 670 Graphics Card ' Performance Perfected (WCCFTECH) News GeForce GTX 670 Reviews 0 05-10-12 08:40 AM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.