Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-05-08, 04:59 PM   #1
Config

Default kde4 performance issues fix

Hi

I've heard that the new beta drivers are supposed to fix the performance issues with kde4 (and many people seemed to report success). Since I own a Geforce FX, I really can't benefit from the fixes. Are there plans to backport the fix to the legacy driver once the beta driver has stabilized? Buying a new computer (I really don't want to buy another agp card...) earlier just because of a driver issue seems extremely silly to me....

Cheers
Config is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-08, 05:09 PM   #2
Linuxhippy

Default Re: kde4 performance issues fix

I can't comment on that, but its just my opinion that its quite unlikely you'll see large improvements like the render enhancements in legacy drivers.

Have you tried the Nouveau driver? If that doesn't work out as expected, you could try to get a used ATI R200/R300/R400 (e.g. X800, 9250) and use it with the open drivers if you don't need top 3D performance.

- Clemens
Linuxhippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-08, 04:20 AM   #3
Cambo

Send a message via Yahoo to Cambo

Or you could get hold of a 7 series card.

Got 2 x XFX 7600GT set in SLI in this PC. Very happy with them.

There is also the benefit that they do not require a power station in the back garden, and an industrial vacuum cleaner to get the heat out of the case....

These cards cost me about 35 each, brand new, from a pretty good company here in the UK called Novatech, though I don't think they are stocking them any more

If you want a bit more oomph, you should be able to find some 7900 cards around.

Cambo
Cambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-08, 04:46 AM   #4
Linuxhippy

Well but the 7xxx cards don't support the new GlyphCache and are a generation behind the 8xxx/9xxx cards -> so its quite likely they'll end up with legacy-support earlier.

- Clemens
Old 10-06-08, 03:41 PM   #5
zbiggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linuxhippy View Post
Well but the 7xxx cards don't support the new GlyphCache and are a generation behind the 8xxx/9xxx cards -> so its quite likely they'll end up with legacy-support earlier.

- Clemens
In real OS/driver life 8xxx/9xxx are generation behind 7xxx because they are slower and do not support XvMC. Hardware is as good as driver. That is why 8xxx/9xxx cards are worse because they do not have movie hardware acceleration and 2D is weak.

Geforce7 rules these days.
zbiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-08, 03:58 PM   #6
Linuxhippy

well, GeForceFX ruled two years ago and was way faster than my GF6600 when there was no support for accalerated subpixel antialiased fonts ... and now what ... its a legacy card which most likely won't receive any feature updates.
For the RV400 chips there are pretty well working OSS drivers.

- Clemens