Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-10-08, 08:15 AM   #1
uOpt
FreeBSD cheering section

Default Drooping FX 5xxx cards into legacy is a big problem

Just looking whether somebody else has this problem.

Dropping the FX 5xxx card support out of the current drivers, requiring the legacy drivers, is a huge problem for me. The reason is that I have multi-videocard setups in machines with just one PCIe x16 slot. That means I have to use a PCI card for the second card.

I can't do that anymore now, since FX 5xxx was the last generation produced as PCI cards. Now that they require the legacy drivers I can't mix it with a current PCIe card requiring the latest non-legacy drivers (you can't run both drivers).

Any thoughts on this?

My Unix benchmark results
uOpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-08, 08:35 AM   #2
queen6

Default Re: Drooping FX 5xxx cards into legacy is a big problem

You're right only in 50%

http://www.digit-life.com/news.html?10/74/18
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/news/3134
queen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-08, 08:54 AM   #3
Bman212121

Quote:
Originally Posted by uOpt View Post
Just looking whether somebody else has this problem.

Dropping the FX 5xxx card support out of the current drivers, requiring the legacy drivers, is a huge problem for me. The reason is that I have multi-videocard setups in machines with just one PCIe x16 slot. That means I have to use a PCI card for the second card.

I can't do that anymore now, since FX 5xxx was the last generation produced as PCI cards. Now that they require the legacy drivers I can't mix it with a current PCIe card requiring the latest non-legacy drivers (you can't run both drivers).

Any thoughts on this?
Use the last driver that supported both of the cards you have. Eventually you're going to have to upgrade, or you can just get a non Nvidia card and try that way.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-08, 01:42 PM   #4
elmoe

Does anyone know where to purchase these cards? The Albatron website seems down for me at the moment.

I also found some 8 series PCI cards made by sparkle:

http://www.sparkle.com.tw/product_de...=69&sub_id=160

It's available at CompUSA for about $100:

http://www.compusa.com/applications/...2&Sku=S15-1024

I may just pick up the Sparkle 8500 if I can't find the Albatron 8600 available for purchase anywhere.

Now if only I could find a new NV AGP card that worked on my motherboard, sigh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by queen6 View Post
elmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-08, 02:40 PM   #5
uOpt
FreeBSD cheering section

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman212121 View Post
Use the last driver that supported both of the cards you have. Eventually you're going to have to upgrade, or you can just get a non Nvidia card and try that way.
Did anyone actually try using the binary NVidia drivers on one card and Xorg's DRI on a different card in the same machine?

I didn't try but it seems unlikely to me that the NVidia drivers support this.

At the very least you get nasty clashes around which libGL.so to use depending on display (don't forget to account for 32 and 64 bit versions).

If it is in fact supported that would be good since I want multi-seat (third monitor with it's own keyboard and mouse) anyway.

So anyone tried?

%%

The rest of your options aren't that easy. I track the newest Linux kernels closely, so the legacy drivers is something I don't even have to try. And "have to upgrade", well I just explained that even if I wanted to buy a PCI new card that's much easier said than done. Effectively, you would force me off my server's mainboard, and I really don't like that. Apart from the fact that I valiate my server hardware very carefully, my server has an identical twin in case it bites the bullet. And there are other constraints that got me onto the current platform in the first place such as working support for 4 modules of ECC memory.

I suppose the best option now is to get whatever the best ATI card supported by Xorg is.

The step of dropping the last generation of (available) PCI cards is a rather large one, and that's why I posted this thread. I have to remind people that Xorg doesn't drop cards like that and that ATI now supports Xorg in coming up with OpenSource drivers.

My Unix benchmark results
uOpt is offline   Reply With Quote