Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-19-08, 08:04 AM   #133
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero
Default Re: Dead Space thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by LORD-eX-Bu View Post
probably editing out the criticism that they made about the inventory and how hard and cumbersome it was to look through your stuff for health during a fight. I guess that whoever reviewed the game never realized what the square button does...
Yeah... he mentions twice the need for a hotkey for health, and there... you know... is one. I'm pretty sure this is the reason it was pulled, and will be put back up with those lines edited out.

You really have to wonder how fast they tried to rush through the game in order to get a review up, if they didn't even know what one of the face buttons' function was.

I'm still loving the game on PS3 and I REALLY hope the PC-only waiting for next week get as great a port as is posssible. I want all of you to enjoy this game as much as me, or even moreso with some better graphics options. This is, as I said before, my current GotY and I just can't get over what a masterpiece the game is, both in presentation (10 out of 10) and in gameplay (9.5 out of 10).

The only minor quibbles I have with the game so far is it could be less linear... it's about the same as Bioshock, as I said... and that once you realize some weapons push enemies back, and some don't, you're likely to just keep using the ones that do and sell the rest. The added problem here is that ammo drops, which you will really need, are random based on what you're carrying. Thus, if you carry weapons you don't use much, you might miss out on a lot of ammo for guns you mainly want to use. In particular, the flamethrower is pretty useless except against the small bug things, then I realized half the ammo I was getting was for the flamethrower, which meant I was missing out on plasma ammor and the like, when I rarely ever used the flamethrower. This led to me ditching the flamethrower altogether, which makes dealing with the small bug aliens a real chore. Kind of a rock and hard place decision there.

Still... minor quibbles. Amazing game.
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-08, 11:25 PM   #134
Muppet

Damn

Dead Space PC Controls Nerfed?

Bad news? The controls are 2nd to the worst controls we’ve seen ever since Path of Neo came to the PC platforms.

WhatIfGaming has a post about the controls in the PC edition of Dead Space, after playing around with a prerelease edition of the sci-fi horror game. They take strong issue with the controls, saying "The smoothness compared to consoles is just not there, and from what we can tell it doesn’t seem like a patch can fix most of the issues. Inventory stack access becomes frustrating when fighting with monsters and aiming for on-the-fly changes." They contacted EA and got the following explanation: "Dead Space for PC is an equivalent experience to that on consoles. The controls are different and customizable, but we feel it’s in the best ability for the players to match what the console experience is like." Reviews of the PC edition are not yet appearing, it will be interesting to see whether this is considered an issue for others.

http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/boa...threadid=92385

http://whatifgaming.com/dead-space-p...t-fluid-enough
Asus Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition | Intel 4930k | SS Phasechange | 16GB Corsair Platinum DDR3 1866 | Asus GTX680 x2 SLI | Corsair AX1200 Watt PSU | Lian-Li PC-8NWX | Intel 520 120Gb SSD x2 | Samsung S27A950D 27" 120Hz | HP ZR24w 24" S-IPS x3 Nvidia Surround @6000x1200 | Xonar Essence STX
Muppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-08, 01:54 AM   #135
Bokishi
NV THIS

That better not be true I just ordered it!
EVGA GTX 680
X-Fi Titanium HD
Intel 40GB SSD (SRT Cache)
Hitachi 1TB Boot HDD
7TB Storage HDDs
Coolermaster 750w
Bokishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-08, 02:19 AM   #136
nutcrackr
Super Registered User

One site says that, I haven't seen validation of that report yet.

Also the comment "doesn’t seem like a patch can fix most of the issues" is just complete nonsense.
nutcrackr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-08, 02:50 AM   #137
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Relax guys. Just use 360 or Logitech pad. All will be swell. I promise. I'm waiting till I finish Saint's Row 2 before I get this. Prolly should finish Army of Two as well. ::

Looks nice and scary. 0G parts look rather eerie.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-08, 02:56 AM   #138
K007

how hard can the controls be to work with the pc...mouse..aim...keyb...move...
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-08, 03:22 AM   #139
LordJuanlo
Widescreen rules

Is the game Tomb Raider or Assassin's Creed style, with little or no aiming?. In that case I will have no problem using my 360 gamepad. However if it's like Gears of War I prefer to use mouse for accurate aiming
ATI 5870 (Graphics) + GeForce 9600GT (PhysX) on Samsung SM244T 1920x1200
LG GGW-H20L BluRay & HD-DVD / Logitech Z-5500 5.1 DTS / Westone 3 Earphones
Asus Xonar D2 / 360 Elite Wireless Controller / Gigabyte Odin GT 800W
Windows 7 x64
(also a 360 and a PSP )
LordJuanlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-08, 04:50 AM   #140
Gaco
L4D & DoW2 ftw!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
Relax guys. Just use 360 or Logitech pad. All will be swell. I promise. I'm waiting till I finish Saint's Row 2 before I get this. Prolly should finish Army of Two as well. ::

If you bought it for the PC it was either because:

1. You don't have a console

or

2. You prefer mouse control.

If you use controller on the PC you miss out on the strengths of both; you don't get to play it with the mouse and you don't get to play it on a big screen
So playing with a controller on PC is hardly a solution
CPU: Intel Core2 Q6600@3.3ghz w. Noctua NH-U12P
RAM: 4Gb Crucial Tracer PC-8500
Graphics: XFX Radeon HD 5970 Black Edition
Harddiscs: 2xRaptorX 150gb 10.000 RPM in RAID0
Soundcard: X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
Sound: Sennheiser HD600 Headphones + headamp
Keyboard: Logitech DiNovo Edge
Mouse: Razor Orochi
Monitor: Samsung 2232BW (22" 1680*1050)
Gaco is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-08, 05:04 AM   #141
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post

I'd rather not. When I own a console I'd like games made for a console and gamepad, if it's a pc port I'd rather play it with kbm, otherwise there isn't much point to buying the pc version other than graphics, and that's just a 'maybe'.

On the other hand I'm glad you guys are raving about the game, can't wait to play it.
Old 10-20-08, 07:24 AM   #142
glObalist
working as intended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaco View Post
If you bought it for the PC it was either because:

1. You don't have a console

or

2. You prefer mouse control.

If you use controller on the PC you miss out on the strengths of both; you don't get to play it with the mouse and you don't get to play it on a big screen
So playing with a controller on PC is hardly a solution
1. Attach DVI-HDMI cable to your HDTV.
2. Plug in gamepad controller
3. ???????
4. PROFIT!!
Quote:
All MMO's are now baby-school weak. The only good MMO's make your eyes bleed and force you to eat glass. In my day we had to walk uphill in the snow 5 miles *JUST* to log in.
glObalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-08, 08:06 AM   #143
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian126 View Post
As for impressions on the controller, I see no reason why this wouldn't translate over well to the mouse and keyboard. Personally I think the KB+M will be superior due to the combat being based on precision dismemberment.
I don't think it would make aiming that much easier or have any affect sicne the game is pretty forgiving with accuracy for the most part. You don't need to be exactly 100% inline with the limb to dismember it and the weapons do a large enough area of damage that if you are off it will most likely hit since theres no real "bullets" (guns fire large radius projectiles).

As for the game, the only real complaint I can come up with is melee combat seems cumbersome, but then again he isn't trained in combat from a stories perspective so I forgive it for that.
Old 10-20-08, 08:20 AM   #144
Jon

I personally hate using a gamepad on the PC. I wanted to play this at 1920x1200 with precision keyboard and mouse aiming. Based on the scan below and the fact that strangely no pc reviews have appeared whereas the console reviews have been out for ages is really fishy. I'm just getting it for PS3!

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/8...1586sp5el4.jpg
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote