Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-08-08, 11:03 PM   #481
MowTin

Default Re: Dead Space thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastRedPonyCar View Post
I can't run it at all

I installed it and it ran fine on my laptop (which sucks) but when I installed it onto my gaming machine, when I run the game, I just get a black screen with the fraps counter at 0.

The main difference between the 2 computers is that my gaming pc uses vista 64 and the one at work is vista 32.

I've updated to the most recent nvidia drivers, installed the latest Visual C++ distributable, you name it... Tried running it in XP compatibility mode... nothing...

The thing is, what is wierd is that task manager never says the program has stopped responding. And after doing some googling, it looks like a lot of people who are getting this black screen at startup say their exectuable has stopped responding.

Anyone else having this problem?
I had a similar problem with Bioshock. I solved it by uninstalling the redist from programs. It turns out I had 2 of them installed. Then I reinstalled the latest redist.

PS3 | Xbox 360
MowTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-08, 02:44 AM   #482
Lfctony

BTW, PC users should adjust their brightness so that the Ishimura Logo in the test is barely visible. I had to take mine completely down and I could still see it. This is why we perceive many games looking better on the consoles and thats because of the TV... I took it completely down the game looks twice as good. I also believe that would be why certain users see the same screenshot in a completely different manner, monitor brightness and contrast...
Fafnir: Intel Core 2 Quad 6600@3.2Ghz|eVGA 780i SLI|PNY GTX480 |Kingston DDR667 4096MB|WD Black Caviar 500GB|Seagate SATA 250GB|Seagate SATA 200GB| Seagate SATA 160GB|OptiArc AD-7173S DVDRW|Nec 3351 DVDRW|Creative X-FI XM|LG Flatron W2261V|Logitech X-530|Thermaltake Armor|Amptac 850W SLI PSU|Logitech G9 Mouse|Xigmatek HDT S-1283 CPU Cooler|Windows 7/FW 257.21

PS2 - Wii - Xbox - Xbox360 - PSP - GC - PS3 Owner

Boycott Starforce...

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?
Lfctony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-08, 03:38 AM   #483
bob saget

Send a message via MSN to bob saget Send a message via Yahoo to bob saget

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomUK View Post
Playing through the game again, right after completing it.

Side note: The sound design is the best I've ever witnessed. The faint whispering that you hear all over the place is creepy as hell.
yes its amazing. I am also playing through it again.
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-08, 03:47 AM   #484
LORD-eX-Bu
Horus the pointy master

now that I've finished Silient Hill Homecoming I can really get into this game
Old 11-09-08, 03:52 AM   #485
MowTin

Some nagging questions:

How do you deal with that heavily armored creature that charges you? That thing eats up all my ammo.

I'm finding the flame thrower almost useless. Am I using it wrong?

Is the secondary fire on the flame thrower useful? same for the rifle?

Not sure what to do about that tall skinny creature. If I shoot it it breaks up into all those little octopus thingies.

By the way it's pretty cool when you get killed by those octopus things. They rip your head off and they stick their tentacles down your spine and they make you into a zombie

I love the death scenes in this game.

PS3 | Xbox 360
MowTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-08, 04:22 AM   #486
bob saget

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTin View Post
Some nagging questions:

How do you deal with that heavily armored creature that charges you? That thing eats up all my ammo.

Not sure what to do about that tall skinny creature. If I shoot it it breaks up into all those little octopus thingies.

By the way it's pretty cool when you get killed by those octopus things. They rip your head off and they stick their tentacles down your spine and they make you into a zombie

The heavily armored creature? i would focus all my fire on his legs, i dont think he can keep going if you take 2 off. Also, do alot of running/dodging, preferably around corners. As soon as he charges, sprint away around a corner. Stop, turn around, fire. Sometimes (i think its a glitch), if you lose sight of him, he would completely stop/freeze. You can then sneak up on him from behind and blow his legs off at point blank range. As soon as you fire on him, he does "reactivate" though, so you have to be quick.

I dont think there is another way to kill the tall skinny guy, after you take him down, just keep firing onto his feet so the octopus things dont come closer.
Through the first 8 levels, the only time i got killed by something other then environment hazards was when those slimy "glob" things attacked me. I didnt know what they were so i just stood there lol. I played very cautiously with lots of health.

the "q" button is a shortcut to use health pack during heavy action.

The very first time i played it through, i used only the blaster and the machine gun (w/e its called). Once upgraded, the blaster becomes a very useful weapon, especially when the clip is 20 shots. And only used primary fire for both.
I also suggest using the explosive barrels more.

I found you have to be very deliberate when you are fighting the "wall mounted" dude that spews out the small things that fling acid. Carefully peak out from around the corner and quickly shoot off his arms and jump back, before the acid can hit you.
Old 11-09-08, 04:24 AM   #487
bob saget

Quote:
Originally Posted by zer0 View Post
how do you walk on walls? i tried using the ctrl key but it does not work.
you have to be in "targeting" mode. then press ctrl. If the surface is not ok for walkin, the sign on your gun will be red.
You have to hold right mouse button, then press ctrl. You will jump to where you lasers are pointing.
Old 11-09-08, 04:24 AM   #488
Lfctony

Quote:
Some nagging questions:

Well, for that armor creature, use stasis on him, then go around his back which is unarmored...
The Flamethrower is very useful, for reasons stated in your post. Take the tall skinny guy out using a cutter and then switch to the flamer to take out the remains it spawns, backing of while firing bursts at them. The same with the "pregnant" enemy which spawns the small creatures, one weapon to drop him and the flamer or the assault rifle to finish off the remains.

I'm currently replaying it on Impossible, ammo is running out fast. 3

I find the line cutter to be by far the best weapon in the game.
Fafnir: Intel Core 2 Quad 6600@3.2Ghz|eVGA 780i SLI|PNY GTX480 |Kingston DDR667 4096MB|WD Black Caviar 500GB|Seagate SATA 250GB|Seagate SATA 200GB| Seagate SATA 160GB|OptiArc AD-7173S DVDRW|Nec 3351 DVDRW|Creative X-FI XM|LG Flatron W2261V|Logitech X-530|Thermaltake Armor|Amptac 850W SLI PSU|Logitech G9 Mouse|Xigmatek HDT S-1283 CPU Cooler|Windows 7/FW 257.21

PS2 - Wii - Xbox - Xbox360 - PSP - GC - PS3 Owner

Boycott Starforce...

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?
Lfctony is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-08, 04:24 AM   #489
bob saget

there ya go zero
Old 11-09-08, 04:43 AM   #490
bob saget

edit:

ok
Old 11-09-08, 05:06 AM   #491
bob saget

go play already.

SPOILER

That one part i think in section 5 or 6 when they have to clean the air or w/e and you have to dash by all the monsters (even regenerating ones) before your air runs out literally is amazing.
Old 11-09-08, 05:13 AM   #492
alitayyab

Quote:
Some nagging questions:

1. Armored thug: Use Stasis ->Shoot at the yellow "spots" between the body and the arms.
once he falls, stasis -> shoot at its rear end (again u'd seen the same yellow thingies at its rear)

2. flame thrower is good to counter the 'star fish" that come out of the fat dudes or are found lurking around by themselves. though the ripper is just as effective. i bought the flame thrower, used it once, went back to a prior save and bought the ripper. ripper >> flame thrower (kinda reminds me of the chainsaw in Doom)

3. Tall skinny guy: Shoot off upper limbs than the head. or shoot of the head than go for the limbs.

I am upto level 11. This game is seriously addictive. though i am left handed and NEVER used WASD, i move my keyboard all the way to the right to "simulate" approximate keypad position.