Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-27-10, 03:10 AM   #829
FastRedPonyCar
Resident Tire Destroyer

Send a message via AIM to FastRedPonyCar
Default Re: Dead Space Feedback Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan View Post
I can't seem to get past the left third of the screen being obstructed by your character. It's like no other over the shoulder view I've seen, like you're standing 2 feet behind yourself. It's just so awkward. I almost think I'd be more comfortable if it was the right side of the screen. I also had this strange mouse lag issue and had to turn off vsync (which I think was on by default) to fix it. Maybe I'll try playing again sometime over the weekend...

Are the forums super slow tonight or is it just me?
Did you play arkham asylum or the gears of war games yet?
4770k @ 4.45 ghz - ASUS Gryphon Mobo - 16 gigs Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866 RAM - XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 H2o Cooling - EVGA GTX 680 @1325mhz - 128 gig Crucial RealSSD C300 - 150 gig Velociraptor +2.75 Terrabytes of WD Sata 3.0 storage - 910 watt PC P&C PSU - Corsair Obsidian 650D case

- Server -
Core I7 D0 revision 920 @ 3.75 ghz - ASUS P6T Deluxe - 12 Gigs Mushkin DDR3 1600 - Corsair HX 620 PSU - Noctua NH-U9B cooler - Coolermaster WaveMaster Case

- Laptop -
MSI 16F2-012
- i7 2630QM - GTX570m @ 750Mhz - 8 gigs HyperX 1866 - 120 gig OCZ Vertex 3 SSD- 750 gig Scorpio Black - BluRay - 95% Gamut Screen - IC Diamond goop
FastRedPonyCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-10, 10:03 AM   #830
logan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppet View Post
Everyones in the Fermi threads.
I meant network/server slow, it took upwards of 30 seconds to load pages. Must have just been me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastRedPonyCar View Post
Did you play arkham asylum or the gears of war games yet?
No. I don't know what Gears of War is about (I've heard of it), but I hope to play Batman sometime soon.
logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-10, 11:50 AM   #831
grey_1

Quote:
I meant network/server slow, it took upwards of 30 seconds to load pages. Must have just been me...

No. I don't know what Gears of War is about (I've heard of it), but I hope to play Batman sometime soon.
Fantastic game in co-op if you're lucky enough to find a copy that's reasonably priced these days.
Old 03-27-10, 10:50 PM   #832
logan

I started up again tonight and I'm moving along pretty well. I'm sortof adjusting to the view, but now the controls are bugging me. I gotta crank up the mouse speed to get a decent feel to the camera, but aiming is slow and the y axis is slower than the x axis. I'm not sure what the idea was behind these controls, but they sure are awkward. All that aside, this game is really freakin' me out. :S I had trouble with FEAR and that was just a little girl. This is like being in Carpenter's "The Thing". The music, the strange whispers, the monsters coming up behind you out of nowhere. I'm gonna have nightmares for a month.
Old 03-27-10, 10:51 PM   #833
bob saget

Send a message via MSN to bob saget Send a message via Yahoo to bob saget

Quote:
I started up again tonight and I'm moving along pretty well. I'm sortof adjusting to the view, but now the controls are bugging me. I gotta crank up the mouse speed to get a decent feel to the camera, but aiming is slow and the y axis is slower than the x axis. I'm not sure what the idea was behind these controls, but they sure are awkward. All that aside, this game is really freakin' me out. :S I had trouble with FEAR and that was just a little girl. This is like being in Carpenter's "The Thing". The music, the strange whispers, the monsters coming up behind you out of nowhere. I'm gonna have nightmares for a month.

Yes, it's a genius game.
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-10, 11:58 PM   #834
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Very much like The Thing (One of my fav movies). The sound design on Dead Space is awesome. Honestly, as I've always said. I would have liked it a lot more if they had few, more deadly and gruesome enemies and ramped up the tension.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-10, 12:02 AM   #835
AdamK47

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomec View Post
Wow, I can now FINALLY enjoy this game. Running this program FPSLimiter I am able to play the game with zero mouse issues. Not sure how I didn't come across this earlier.
You could have also edited the configuration file to increase the mouse speed beyond what the UI allows.
AdamK47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-10, 12:02 AM   #836
bob saget

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
Very much like The Thing (One of my fav movies). The sound design on Dead Space is awesome. Honestly, as I've always said. I would have liked it a lot more if they had few, more deadly and gruesome enemies and ramped up the tension.
yea, cause the tentacle-babies are not scary/gruesome enough. The people crainger works with are ten times scarier.

Old 03-28-10, 04:38 AM   #837
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Sif you'd know bob. You'd wish you worked with the people I work with. Now go put on your tennis socks for Bigman.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-10, 01:39 PM   #838
bob saget

Old 04-10-10, 12:29 PM   #839
logan

I just finished the game this morning and I thought it was awesome. The sound was amazing. There were always some spooky noises and whispers, I thought I even heard chants toward the end. The game would have had a completely different feel to it without the sound work they did. It was definitely my favorite aspect of the game.

A few more creatures would have been nice, but overall I thought there was enough variation to keep the battles interesting and challenging with various ones coming after you at the same time. One of the most heart stopping moments for me was actually pretty early in the game. I entered a small room and picked up an audio log. I was just standing there listening to this thing, completely oblivious to the 2 or 3 monsters that dropped in through a vent. It was dead silence except for the recording and all of a sudden they're on top of me. Ugh, it still freaks me out... That was the first time my health got really low and I heard Isaac's labored breathing. That's also creepy, like a deathly ill type of thing. :S

The levels were great too and the lighting really made them eerie. I actually had to stop and take a few breaths before I entered some and exited others. One of my favorite scenes is where you administer the virus and then open the doors to the large room where that gigantic creature is waiting. There's something crazy going on in the distance, but it's all blurry and you can't quite make it out. I actually ended up replaying that part a few times because I didn't understand what I was supposed to do at first and ended up using up most of my health packs. Each time I entered that room the hair on the back of my neck stood up. :P

I didn't really notice the voice acting at first, maybe because I'm just used to most games having really good voice actors now, but playing the Just Cause 2 demo reminded me that they don't all have it and it's nice when they do. I thought the characters were great, Kendra in particular, even though you actually had very little interaction with them. I was always glad to hear from her, even though it usually meant I needed to complete yet another objective which would unleash horrible monsters on me.

It took me a while, but I finally manage to adjust to the view and the controls. The mouse was still awkward, slow and unresponsive while pressing another key, but I've played through worse (Mass Effect 1 under Wine sans the right mouse patch). I only remember one game bug and that was a zero-g jump that I must have hit right at the edge of a map, because my guy was stuck in that flying through space pose for a good 3 or 4 seconds even though I was in direct contact with the map, and then I died with a choking expression.

Control and other issues aside, I thought the game had an extremely polished feel to it. The breadcrumbs thing was a great idea and I thought the holographic video feeds, inventory, and maps were extremely slick.
Old 11-06-10, 04:39 PM   #840
Redeemed

Well, started noticing myself beginning to feel bored with AvP... so to give it a break I started playing Dead Space.

I honestly think it'd be far creepier if they mad it first person, but the 3rd person works well in this game (I'm not a fan of third person games, mind you).

I can't say this game is really "creepy", "scary", or anything like that. Maybe it's the whole 3rd person aspect that's eliminating a lot of the "scariness" for me... not sure.

However, it's still very fun and enjoyable. I do jolt a bit when some of the aliens jump out unexpectedly.

I also really enjoy how you can upgrade your gear and what not. Having to search for equipement, credits, ammo, etc really adds to the dynamics of the game.

And as was already mentioned, the atmosphere is pretty awesome, what with the odd noises in the background.

Looking forward to the sequel.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote