Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

View Poll Results: Which upgrade option is more practical? (ie price vs. performance boost)
Quadcore (Q9400 and up) 31 86.11%
DDR2-1066 with current CPU @ 4GHz. 5 13.89%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-17-08, 12:18 AM   #25
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicagoland, once a year in Poland
Posts: 24,366
Default Re: Quadcore or Faster RAM?

more cores will affect performance in certain applications, OS it self will not run faster doing normal task. but it will finish more task at the same time.

plus it will help great deal with virtual machines.
__________________
Windows 8 the next big failure, right after Windows ME
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-08, 12:00 PM   #26
ViN86
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 15,486
Default Re: Quadcore or Faster RAM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolution View Post
A PSU don't affect performance directly unless it isn't supplying enough power to components. You'll find yourself wondering why you bothered when your system doesn't even max your current PSU out (I sure did). 4G of ram is plenty until you go to the new socket+ddr3. I have never seen any benchmarks that proved games are bandwith limited (unless you downclock to like, 667MHz or lower). Most DDR2-800 ram can do 1066 easily too, with 5-5-5-12 timings.

Get a new video card, you'll notice a performance difference, even from an 8800GT I noticed a substantial performance difference. You don't need a quadcore if your talking about games and it will probably slow you down unless you overclock it over what your dual core is at right now.

Things that will affect your performance:
Faster CPU (not more cores)
Video card

Things that you'll be wondering why you upgraded 6 months from now:
PSU
Ram
i know the PSU wont directly affect performance. but im a big believer in buying a solid PSU that's more than capable of powering the system. back in the day, i saw so many people with problems because they cheaped out on their PSU.

and before i get a new GPU, i will be buying a new PSU. the RAM seems like a good option because it's very cheap and it will increase my OC headroom. im leaning towards the quad core tbh. or the PSU and then getting a new GPU in december.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-08, 12:48 PM   #27
$n][pErMan
III%
 
$n][pErMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,726
Send a message via AIM to $n][pErMan
Default Re: Quadcore or Faster RAM?

Quad rocks!!
__________________
Intel® Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 @ 3.51GHz (390 x 9 / 1.39v) | ASUS P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP LGA 775 Intel P965 (1236 BIOS) | OCZ GOLD 8GB (2GB x 4) DDR2 PC2-8500 Dual Channel (4-4-4-12 780Mhz/1.95V 1:1 Ratio) | EVGA GeForce GTX 770 DUAL SuperClocked 4GB (Currently @ 1240MHz Core / 7112MHz Memory) | Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS | Zalman CNPS9700 LED Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler | Samsung SSD 840 Series 256GB | ASUS ProArt 24in Widescreen LED 1920 x 1200 | Samsung DVD-RW-DL 18x Burner w/ lightscribe| SILVERSTONE OP650 ATX12V / EPS12V 650W Power Supply | AOpen 5.1 Surround sound system | Windows 7 Pro x64
100% Orthos Stable!
$n][pErMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-08, 01:50 PM   #28
CaptNKILL
CUBE
 
CaptNKILL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: PA, USA
Posts: 18,844
Default Re: Quadcore or Faster RAM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
i know the PSU wont directly affect performance. but im a big believer in buying a solid PSU that's more than capable of powering the system. back in the day, i saw so many people with problems because they cheaped out on their PSU.

and before i get a new GPU, i will be buying a new PSU. the RAM seems like a good option because it's very cheap and it will increase my OC headroom. im leaning towards the quad core tbh. or the PSU and then getting a new GPU in december.
Yep. The better your PSU is the longer you can go without upgrading it.

Spend an extra $100 for a 1000w-1200w PSU now and you won't have to buy another one in three years when cards have 4 GPUs, 8 gigs of memory and suck 800w of power under load.
__________________
---- Primary Rig ---- CoolerMaster 690 II Advance - Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 4.0Ghz + Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme
6GB DDR2 @ 942Mhz 5-5-5-20 1.9v (2x1Gb Wintec AMPX PC2-8500 & 2x2Gb G.Skill PC2-6400) - EVGA Geforce GTX 470 @ 750/1500/1850 (1.050v)
Sparkle Geforce GTS 250 1Gb Low-Profile (Physx) - Crucial RealSSD C300 64Gb SSD - Seagate 7200.12 500Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-08, 03:11 PM   #29
npras42
Hi Everybody!
 
npras42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 1,698
Default Re: Quadcore or Faster RAM?

I'd only buy a new PSU because you say yours is 4 years old and when the PSU dies they can take out more components. Having said that, the one you have is probably not underpowered for what you have and are likely to buy in the near future - I assume you won't be gong SLI or anything.

I think you've got all the info you need to make an informed decision. I don't think there is a particulalry wrong choice here. The one I'd personally be least inclined to go for would be RAM because it hardly guarantees the OC headroom you want, its just a possibility.
npras42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-08, 05:57 AM   #30
Xedig
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6
Default Re: Quadcore or Faster RAM?

Xedig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-08, 10:30 AM   #31
Absolution
AbsoUI
 
Absolution's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 933
Default Re: Quadcore or Faster RAM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
i know the PSU wont directly affect performance. but im a big believer in buying a solid PSU that's more than capable of powering the system. back in the day, i saw so many people with problems because they cheaped out on their PSU.

and before i get a new GPU, i will be buying a new PSU. the RAM seems like a good option because it's very cheap and it will increase my OC headroom. im leaning towards the quad core tbh. or the PSU and then getting a new GPU in december.
Getting a hge PSU is like trying to future proof your pc. . . it just doesn't ever work out as expected.I originally had a OCZ Powerstream 520watt PSU, then I decided that wasn't enough for my mundane rig at the time and upgrade to a Powerstream 600watt PSU (which later had problems and they sent me a new one). Point being, I spent probably 120$ on a PSU I didn't need then and probably won't need ever.

Power consumption on PC's is going down, the 2xx series from nVidia is the P4 of intel (cept for the fact its at least competitive). I highly doubt they'll ever make a core with such a large chip area again.
Absolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-08, 11:00 AM   #32
methimpikehoses
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Quadcore or Faster RAM?

A new CPU or RAM won't do anything noticeable for you.
  Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-08, 11:08 PM   #33
Imbroglio
xeroyphyte
 
Imbroglio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,271
Default Re: Quadcore or Faster RAM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by methimpikehoses View Post
A new CPU or RAM won't do anything noticeable for you.
whereas you on the other hand....



...don't make me pull out the pictures
__________________

HT: 360 -- Sony60A3000 -- Onkyo SR605 --> Polk cs2, monitor 60s and monitor 40s w/ Bic F12 sub -- PS3
XBL:Mr X3r0 -- PSN:Mr_X3r0

Rig- Asus P6X58D Premium - intel i7 920 @3.6 - EVGA GTX570 - Corsair HX1000 - Prolimatech Mega Shadow - WD640 - COOLER MASTER ATCS 840 - OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 1600*

Imbroglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-08, 11:27 PM   #34
john19055
 
john19055's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: GREENVILLE,TX
Posts: 3,859
Default Re: Quadcore or Faster RAM?

I just don't think you need a 1000w or 1200w when a 750w with 60amps on the 12v rail would be plenty for one GTX 260.I run my BFG GTX 280GTX OCX which is clocked at 665/1458/2400 and it will run at 700/1612/2600,but I see no point in running it that hard.Plus all the othe stuff I have listed on my SilverStone OP 650watt with 54 amps on the 12v rail and it works fine.
__________________
Intel i7-3820+Corsair H-100+Gigabyte X79-UD5+16gigs G.Skill PC1600DDR3+2-ASUS DirectCU II GTX-670 in SLI+Crucial 256g-SSD+1-3Gig Seagate+2- Samsung 1-TB+3-WesternDigtial 640g+LG-12x Blu-Ray Burner+850watt XFX+Antec-P280 case+50" Plasma PM6700+Logitech Mouse+Keyboard+Pioneer VSX-1020+Polk Audio Speakers
john19055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-08, 06:41 AM   #35
fasedww
Pc Gamer
 
fasedww's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 1,578
Default Re: Quadcore or Faster RAM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolution View Post
Getting a hge PSU is like trying to future proof your pc. . . it just doesn't ever work out as expected.I originally had a OCZ Powerstream 520watt PSU, then I decided that wasn't enough for my mundane rig at the time and upgrade to a Powerstream 600watt PSU (which later had problems and they sent me a new one). Point being, I spent probably 120$ on a PSU I didn't need then and probably won't need ever.

Power consumption on PC's is going down, the 2xx series from nVidia is the P4 of intel (cept for the fact its at least competitive). I highly doubt they'll ever make a core with such a large chip area again.
buy a reputable power supply, like pcpc, our thermaltek tough power, corsair 750, watt,
__________________
Asus X79 rampage extreme 4, i7 3930K, 47X100, 4.70 GHZ, ,16 gigs, corsair, 1600mhz, 3 MSI GTX 780's Tri SLI, gtx, Prolimatech Genesis, 2 140mm fan heastsink, Lian Li PC 80 ArmorSuit case, PCPC 1200 watt, window side panel with 120mm blowhole, SoundBlaster X-Fi Titanium HD , Asus Blueray sata dvdrw,SSD 256GB Plextor Pro,SSD Patriot Pyro 240gig,SSD Agility 4 256 , 1 300 gig raptor, 1 600 gig raptor, segate 1 gig ,Total Airhead amp, Denon AH-D2000 headphones, Dell Ultra3011, Acer HN274H 120 Hz Lcd, ,26,500 3dmark 11, Win 7 HomePrem.

Rig #2 i7 3930k 4.7GHZ. 16 gig corsair Platinum 2400MHZ, Asus P9X79 DELUXE, 2 7970's Watercooled, Koolance blocks, on 1080 nova rad. 9 fan. 655 swiftech. Cpu heatkiller block, coolgate 240mm rad, 2 fan sycthe 108cfm 655 pump,OCZ 256Gb Vertex 4 ssd, C300 256Gb ssd, Patriot pyro 240Gb ssd, 2 wd 640gig Hd, Lian Li 343 modular case. Asus BD drive, Corsair AX1200 watt, X-FI Titanium HD on Fiio , Shure SRH840 Head phones, Dell Ultra3011, Razer Black Widow Ult. BF3 Edition keyboard, Corsair Vengence M60 Mouse, 3dmark 11 16,500, win 7 homePrem.
fasedww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-08, 01:00 AM   #36
Redeemed
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 17,982
Default Re: Quadcore or Faster RAM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2 View Post
Total and complete waste of money.
No doubt. I used to have 8 gigs in my rig... but seldom ever used more than 2. That's even with a ton of apps open. So I pulled 2gigs out and got that E6600 up and running. Though I'm starting to think there's an issue with that mobo's IDE controller. Within the next couple weeks I plan on getting a new SATA drive anyways so I'm not too concerned.

I also agree with the comment about a Quad core being the best upgrade decision made. I've yet to do anything that taxes mine, if you got a Q6600 or 9450 you'd have even more processing power available to you. I say get a new CPU. For the games you mentioned that 8800 is actually overkill.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GTX 670 review, faster & cheaper than 7970 DSC NVIDIA GeForce 600 Series 24 05-30-12 04:25 PM
May 24 Webinar: How Do You Make Grid Engine Faster? News Archived News Items 0 05-22-12 07:30 PM
Program to Identify DDR RAM modules speeds MUYA General Hardware 4 10-11-02 12:41 PM
Faster ATI 9700 Coming? sbp Rumor Mill 38 10-03-02 03:22 PM
Which do you think would be faster, Geforce 3 or Radeon 9000? xCLAVEx Other Desktop Graphics Cards 8 09-01-02 08:03 PM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2014, nV News.