Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-20-03, 04:52 PM   #1
birdo

Default Lame SuSE 8.2 & DVI Flat Panel/X11/NV sucks

Hi!

For everyone with a DVI flatpanel having problems with NVIDIA driver under X11 and SuSE 8.2

1) init 3 to get sax2 working
2) keep manufacturer disc near

Those lamers (SuSE) everytime forget the correct hardwareprobing.
Here is my XF86Config (put it change it in /etc/X11):

<snip>

Section "Device"
BoardName "GeForce4 Ti 4200"
BusID "1:0:0"
Driver "nvidia"
Identifier "Device[0]"
Option "FlatPanelProperties"
Option "NoLogo" # no advertisements
Option "NoRenderAccel" # fixes bug with difficult cipsets
Option "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP" # sets flat panel as default
Option "NvAGP" "3" # probes correct AGP driver
Screen 0
Option "Rotate" "off"
VendorName "NVidia"
EndSection

<snip>

Keep the rest, like SuSE or Sax2 suggests it.

If you got a manufacturer CD copy the files to the root directory of a blank floppy disk and let sax2 import the values via the manufacturer disc option.

If you got DVI anyway your monitor will only support 60 Hz refresh rate.

If you use SAX you should have both DVI and CRT connected if SAX does not identify your DVI port!
After configuring you should have no problems!

Now have fun with 3d and DVI!

Philippe

P.S.: Try Gnome and forget the disfunctional Hardware probe of SuSE 8.2 under KDE!
birdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-03, 06:56 PM   #2
Knubie

Unhappy TwinView in SuSE 8.2

I am having all kinds of trouble configuring my system.

I can't seem to get the Res up to where it should be. I set it for 1280x1024 but it will only give me 1024x768 this gives me a crapy picture. I have two monitors set up too but I can't get TwinView to work. I am just glad that I now have a picture on my flat pannel even if it is crapy.

If anybody has TwinView working or any sugestions for the newbie please speak up.

I am including my config file for refference. I hope that others will post woring config files too. The samples included with the sysem and with the Nvidia Driver are not enough for the newbies.

-K
Attached Files
File Type: txt xf86config.txt (23 Bytes, 151 views)
Knubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-03, 06:03 AM   #3
birdo

Default Re: TwinView in SuSE 8.2

Quote:
I can't seem to get the Res up to where it should be. I set it for 1280x1024 but it will only give me 1024x768 this gives me a crapy picture. I have two monitors set up too but I can't get TwinView to work. I am just glad that I now have a picture on my flat pannel even if it is crapy.
First update your driver to the newest web-version @ nvidia.com (url: later in this article).
You have to set your resolution-options both for Monitor AND graphics-card.
If you only setup your monitor, but don't correctly setup your graphics resolution, you'll have the above mentioned problems!

Quote:

If anybody has TwinView working or any sugestions for the newbie please speak up.
Newbies have to understand, that they have to read things first in the provided manuals of all software/drivers for linux!
It is not easy to understand that type of language, but after some practise, there will be no more problems.

Look here for latest NVIDIA Drivers for Linux (platform independent)!
Download README and there you will find your options for twin-view.
Here is the HOWTO for installing drivers under SuSE with the .run driver from nvidia.
Sometimes you need some time for reading, before you can practically use the driver with non standard setups for SuSE (twin-view only works perfect with ATI or Matrox cards)!

I don't know, which display will be #1 (DVI or analog), maybe you can set it with the options provided by nvidia-driver.
Put the options in the graphics-cards paragraph of the config-file!

Quote:

I am including my config file for refference. I hope that others will post woring config files too. The samples included with the sysem and with the Nvidia Driver are not enough for the newbies.
Next time better send the file instead of it's location!

Philippe

Last edited by birdo; 06-14-03 at 06:09 AM.
birdo is offline   Reply With Quote