Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-23-08, 05:51 PM   #241
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger
Default Re: FarCry 2 Official Thread (PC)

It's more like Boiling Point and STALKER than Just Cause and GTA IMHO.

BTW, anyone play the console versions to see what they are like?
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-08, 06:50 PM   #242
3DBrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
It's more like Boiling Point and STALKER than Just Cause and GTA IMHO.

BTW, anyone play the console versions to see what they are like?
I've only played the console version, and will be buying the PC version soon. For a console, IMO, the graphics are top notch.
3DBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-08, 08:10 PM   #243
Loreman
Shred Master

OK I've been playing this for a while now. Tried it on my vista install first then went to XP. PLaying on XP at the moment because it feels generally smoother what with the mouse feeling much better and all that.

I am not sure what some reviewers were doing but there IS a fast travel option in this game.

Just use the bus stops. You click on the map of the bus stop were the red marker is your destination, its usually quite near a mission objective, there is always a car near every bus stop. Then it's just a hop skip and jump, usually one or even no check points and you are at the next mission.

In regard to the check points, I have found that when you have scouted them properly you get a little message saying blah blah check points scouted. Usually when you raid the little box at the center. This will most likely stop them from respawning. Not that it's an issue if you use the bus stops.
2 x Leadtek 8800GTX SLI
Loreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-08, 08:29 PM   #244
Bearclaw

How big is the gameplay area?
Old 10-23-08, 08:37 PM   #245
sillyeagle
sillyego

20 sq miles, which is 50 sq kilometers.
EVGA Intel X58
Old 10-23-08, 08:38 PM   #246
Bman212121

The box says 20sq miles.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-08, 10:27 PM   #247
Eliminator
The Man With Brisk

just finished installing it and playing for about an hour... i installed it in vista 64 along with the new 180.42 drivers... so here is what ive noticed so far

- game doesnt start/configure properly
FIX: right click the shortcut and disable desktop composition... start the game switch to DX10... remove disable desktop composition... change resolution and press ALT+Enter to go fullscreen
- mouse is really screwy in the menu sometimes
- there is some mouse lag in the game but its not that bad
- a bit of mini-stuttering every few seconds or so and more often if youre driving... hardly noticeable though
- using AA increases mouse lag
- no crashes or problems and im not using service pack 1.... im just using some gaming related hotfixes
- was getting around 50-70 FPS at 1920x1200 everything maxed (some AF is on by default)
BFG GTX 280 OC2 1GB @ 729/1512/2538
Dell 2405FPW 24"
3DMark: Vantage - P15397 | 06 - 18734
Eliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-08, 10:50 PM   #248
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliminator View Post
just finished installing it and playing for about an hour... i installed it in vista 64 along with the new 180.42 drivers... so here is what ive noticed so far

- game doesnt start/configure properly
FIX: right click the shortcut and disable desktop composition... start the game switch to DX10... remove disable desktop composition... change resolution and press ALT+Enter to go fullscreen
- mouse is really screwy in the menu sometimes
- there is some mouse lag in the game but its not that bad
- a bit of mini-stuttering every few seconds or so and more often if youre driving... hardly noticeable though
- using AA increases mouse lag
- no crashes or problems and im not using service pack 1.... im just using some gaming related hotfixes
- was getting around 50-70 FPS at 1920x1200 everything maxed (some AF is on by default)
Spot on. Same thing I've noticed. The micro stutter in the car sux. Doesn't happen in XP but it's faster in DX10 / Vista.
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-08, 11:41 PM   #249
lee63
Classified

Except for a few minor issues I love this game It runs great with settings maxed out, the graphics are really good and you get 30 hours + of gamplay. Whats not to like.
Old 10-23-08, 11:50 PM   #250
agentkay

I never had high hopes for this game and I guess I was right about it, what a piece of a **** game this is and I certainly know now WHY they haven't released a demo.

First off, the first 5 to 10 minutes were quite nice, nothing amazing but better than what I expected. After wakeup scene I moved around for the first time and the feel to it was alright but although no prone ability, retarted, vert- FOV, again retarted, gunplay, horrible console-shooter like gunplay, not immersive at all, no substance behind it, nothing. Pathetic AI animations (death, running, hit reaction) were killing the immersion even more, and that already during the first few minutes.

I kept on playing, driving around with the car was nice for the first time and did the first two missions but really was missing the immersion from the gameworld, story, and I was getting bored but it got even worse.

Already on my second AI checkpoint/enemy spawnpoint my patience was running extremely thin. Sorry but this is one hell of an annoying game feature, I can deal to some degree with respawning enemies, played COD1,2,4, but combined with those checkpoints, extremely annoying: get out of the car, kill enemies, fix car, drive half a mile, next checkpoint... please repeat the procedure. You rather wanna run the distances, can't really do that or your malaria comes into effect, bluring the screen so the game kind of forces you to use a car and forces you to stay on the roads since there are so many trees (in the starting area).... yea, very fun... NOT.

So yea, I played a total of 2h, very disappointed and annoyed and had to stop. I played Mercs2 a few weeks ago, and finished it and thought it was "alright" but just 2h with FC2 and I am very close of hating it, such an annoying game. 4/10 atm

By the way, whats the deal of marketing the whole "immersive" see-your-characters-body, but during actual gameplay there is none, nothing, no 3D model, no shadow of your characters body. That part pulled me out of the game as well.

Lets see the technical side of the game, it does run decently with full settings on 1080p with 4AA (DX9) but I have mouselag, and I think it might be related to the reason why I hate the gunplay in the game but its not only that. I have to say their LOD system is decent, and so are the sounds, but personally I don't like the visuals of the outdoor world at all, comic-look, color palette, far too kiddie-ish, and the water looks like crap, no 3D effect to it at all, super flat mirror like texture. Oblivion had much better water and look how old that game is. In general I was pleased how the game looked indoors, but it would have been nicer if the game actually had realtime lighting and shadows for every object, looked quite pre-baked to me but whatever. The AI and physics didn't impress me much either and the flame textures looked pathetic, seriously not much better than stone-age HL2 fire textures from what I remembered but then again barely anything burned in the area I was (jungle area).

I might play the game in a few days again, but atm I really am more looking forward of getting Dead Space, and Fallout3 and hope those won't disappoint me like FC2 did. Sorry but even FC1 is the better first person shooter and FC2 doesn't even come remotely close to my experiences with Stalker/Clear Sky, Crysis/Warhead or even the new BiA, which is much better than this POS atm.

Intel I7-920 aircooled by Prolimatech Megahalems @ 3.8Ghz (200x19) | Gigabyte GA-X58-UD3R | OCZ Platinum 3x2GB DDR3-1600 RAM (7-7-7-24) @ 1600 | Gainward GTX 480 | WD Raptor 74GB + 150GB + Samsung 1TB | Soundblaster X-Fi Platinum | Corsair AX850 Gold | Coolermaster Stacker 830 silver | Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 | Logitech G15 keyboard | Logitech G25 Racing Wheel | Sharp LC-46 XL1E (gaming and work)
F CliffyB.
agentkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-08, 11:50 PM   #251
slivski

the area of exploration is gigantic!
i was in shock when i found there was a "level 2".
slivski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-08, 11:58 PM   #252
JasonPC

Can anyone in Vista get this game to run in full screen in dx9? It just stops responding for me and only works in full screen in dx10. But I'm getting weird stutters in dx10 even though the framerate is higher.
JasonPC is offline   Reply With Quote