Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-24-08, 02:04 AM   #253
Blade
It's just a ride....

Default Re: FarCry 2 Official Thread (PC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentkay View Post
I never had high hopes for this game and I guess I was right about it, what a piece of a **** game this is and I certainly know now WHY they haven't released a demo.

First off, the first 5 to 10 minutes were quite nice, nothing amazing but better than what I expected. After wakeup scene I moved around for the first time and the feel to it was alright but although no prone ability, retarted, vert- FOV, again retarted, gunplay, horrible console-shooter like gunplay, not immersive at all, no substance behind it, nothing. Pathetic AI animations (death, running, hit reaction) were killing the immersion even more, and that already during the first few minutes.

I kept on playing, driving around with the car was nice for the first time and did the first two missions but really was missing the immersion from the gameworld, story, and I was getting bored but it got even worse.

Already on my second AI checkpoint/enemy spawnpoint my patience was running extremely thin. Sorry but this is one hell of an annoying game feature, I can deal to some degree with respawning enemies, played COD1,2,4, but combined with those checkpoints, extremely annoying: get out of the car, kill enemies, fix car, drive half a mile, next checkpoint... please repeat the procedure. You rather wanna run the distances, can't really do that or your malaria comes into effect, bluring the screen so the game kind of forces you to use a car and forces you to stay on the roads since there are so many trees (in the starting area).... yea, very fun... NOT.

So yea, I played a total of 2h, very disappointed and annoyed and had to stop. I played Mercs2 a few weeks ago, and finished it and thought it was "alright" but just 2h with FC2 and I am very close of hating it, such an annoying game. 4/10 atm

By the way, whats the deal of marketing the whole "immersive" see-your-characters-body, but during actual gameplay there is none, nothing, no 3D model, no shadow of your characters body. That part pulled me out of the game as well.

Lets see the technical side of the game, it does run decently with full settings on 1080p with 4AA (DX9) but I have mouselag, and I think it might be related to the reason why I hate the gunplay in the game but its not only that. I have to say their LOD system is decent, and so are the sounds, but personally I don't like the visuals of the outdoor world at all, comic-look, color palette, far too kiddie-ish, and the water looks like crap, no 3D effect to it at all, super flat mirror like texture. Oblivion had much better water and look how old that game is. In general I was pleased how the game looked indoors, but it would have been nicer if the game actually had realtime lighting and shadows for every object, looked quite pre-baked to me but whatever. The AI and physics didn't impress me much either and the flame textures looked pathetic, seriously not much better than stone-age HL2 fire textures from what I remembered but then again barely anything burned in the area I was (jungle area).

I might play the game in a few days again, but atm I really am more looking forward of getting Dead Space, and Fallout3 and hope those won't disappoint me like FC2 did. Sorry but even FC1 is the better first person shooter and FC2 doesn't even come remotely close to my experiences with Stalker/Clear Sky, Crysis/Warhead or even the new BiA, which is much better than this POS atm.

Totally disagree with you on all points, no time to unravel my reasons but i totally disagree, which of course i'm allowed to do as we all have opinions right?
Old 10-24-08, 03:00 AM   #254
sillyeagle
sillyego

EVGA Intel X58
Old 10-24-08, 03:12 AM   #255
sillyeagle
sillyego

EVGA Intel X58
Old 10-24-08, 03:33 AM   #256
Llamalama

Nice find on the Charlie Sheen lookalike. When I look at the shot of that swamp all I can think of are "HIPPOS"
Old 10-24-08, 03:38 AM   #257
Jonelo

Jonelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-08, 04:38 AM   #258
Loreman
Shred Master

Quote:
I never had high hopes for this game and I guess I was right about it, what a piece of a **** game this is and I certainly know now WHY they haven't released a demo.

First off, the first 5 to 10 minutes were quite nice, nothing amazing but better than what I expected. After wakeup scene I moved around for the first time and the feel to it was alright but although no prone ability, retarted, vert- FOV, again retarted, gunplay, horrible console-shooter like gunplay, not immersive at all, no substance behind it, nothing. Pathetic AI animations (death, running, hit reaction) were killing the immersion even more, and that already during the first few minutes.

I kept on playing, driving around with the car was nice for the first time and did the first two missions but really was missing the immersion from the gameworld, story, and I was getting bored but it got even worse.

Already on my second AI checkpoint/enemy spawnpoint my patience was running extremely thin. Sorry but this is one hell of an annoying game feature, I can deal to some degree with respawning enemies, played COD1,2,4, but combined with those checkpoints, extremely annoying: get out of the car, kill enemies, fix car, drive half a mile, next checkpoint... please repeat the procedure. You rather wanna run the distances, can't really do that or your malaria comes into effect, bluring the screen so the game kind of forces you to use a car and forces you to stay on the roads since there are so many trees (in the starting area).... yea, very fun... NOT.

So yea, I played a total of 2h, very disappointed and annoyed and had to stop. I played Mercs2 a few weeks ago, and finished it and thought it was "alright" but just 2h with FC2 and I am very close of hating it, such an annoying game. 4/10 atm

By the way, whats the deal of marketing the whole "immersive" see-your-characters-body, but during actual gameplay there is none, nothing, no 3D model, no shadow of your characters body. That part pulled me out of the game as well.

Lets see the technical side of the game, it does run decently with full settings on 1080p with 4AA (DX9) but I have mouselag, and I think it might be related to the reason why I hate the gunplay in the game but its not only that. I have to say their LOD system is decent, and so are the sounds, but personally I don't like the visuals of the outdoor world at all, comic-look, color palette, far too kiddie-ish, and the water looks like crap, no 3D effect to it at all, super flat mirror like texture. Oblivion had much better water and look how old that game is. In general I was pleased how the game looked indoors, but it would have been nicer if the game actually had realtime lighting and shadows for every object, looked quite pre-baked to me but whatever. The AI and physics didn't impress me much either and the flame textures looked pathetic, seriously not much better than stone-age HL2 fire textures from what I remembered but then again barely anything burned in the area I was (jungle area).

I might play the game in a few days again, but atm I really am more looking forward of getting Dead Space, and Fallout3 and hope those won't disappoint me like FC2 did. Sorry but even FC1 is the better first person shooter and FC2 doesn't even come remotely close to my experiences with Stalker/Clear Sky, Crysis/Warhead or even the new BiA, which is much better than this POS atm.
I have 2 tips for you to change your game experience.

First, play on the hardest difficulty, this really changes the combat experience, you need to take co9ver and be careful a lot more.

Second, use the bus routes (fast travel) you can avoid all the checkpoints this way. Every main area and all areas close to main missions have bus depots. Simply click on the map that has the destination near what you want and off you go (and instantly!).

Thirdly, I am very hard on games, and even I am really enjoying this title.
2 x Leadtek 8800GTX SLI
Loreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-08, 05:12 AM   #259
zerobeta

Is there any way to increase the dialog volume while reducing the sound effects volume? one is too low while the other is too high for me...

Also I find I need to alt-tab occasionally, when the fps drop by half for no reason, alt-tab fixes it. 8800GTS With 178.13

zerobeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-08, 05:21 AM   #260
nutcrackr
Super Registered User

Well I am really enjoying this game, I think it has most of the aspects I was looking for. For a start I am quite impressed with the AI, they talk, then they have good fuzzy awareness and they pull back, rush you like crazy and flank around (much more than I was expecting)

I am walking a lot of the way through this game, or rather I give myself room before checkpoints and zones so I don't get spotted. You could avoid about 90% of fights in this game easy, but I usually like sneaking around the back then causing havoc Many of the "mission" type areas are either very open or have 3-4 ways to approach them.

Vehicles feel good, although why it switches the light on each time baffles me, especially when the nighttime is quite light. I wish you had a torch though. Fire and explosions are quite well done here, when the **** hits the fan things happen ala Crysis level, albeit without the buildings falling down :P

I like the map system apart from when it gets near the end of the quadrants, makes it hard to see whats in front of you. The monocle is useless? I used it the first time, but can't seem to make it "pick" up anything. I was hoping it would pick up enemies like Far Cry 1 binoculars but nope

This game I just find myself doing one thing and then seeing something interesting and then going around the other way. I think this game could potentially get boring if the checkpoint guys didn't respawn. I think the road sign idea to point your way is a good idea.

One thing that bothers me a tad is the directional audio isn't quiet as good as I was hoping, I'm having a bit of trouble pinpointing sounds using my headphones when just about every other game I know 95% where they are.

^ oh yes dialog is too low compared to sound effects too.
nutcrackr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-08, 05:30 AM   #261
g-a-m-e
*BANNED*

I like the gameplay .

Graphics are ok, except for the lighting. Have been playing lots of Crysis and Clear Sky, and the lighting in Far Cry 2 actually bothers me a bit. It's just too bland compared to Crysis and CS. Almost like it doesnt have sm 3.0.

I do think i'll be playing this game a LOT though .
g-a-m-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-08, 05:30 AM   #262
Soetdjuret
Teh lazy swede

Quote:

Totally disagree on all points, this game rocks. But that's my opinion and i have the right to think so. Game is great!
Soetdjuret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-08, 06:00 AM   #263
NuBee
NuBee

well, I like it, runs flawlessly on 1900x1200 4xAA, but this is no Crysis, I wouldn't mind for a little more colour
Core i7 920@4.2 / Asus Rampage II Extreme / Noctua NH-U12P SE 1366 / 6GB Dominator GT PC3-16000 Triple Channel (CL 7-7-7-16-1T) / 2 x GTX680 SLI / X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro Series + Teufel Concept E Magnum 5.1 + 4xCanton/ 2x1Tb Samsung F3@Raid-0 / CoolermasterStackerSTC-T01 + 3xSilenX-Ixtrema120 + 2xS3NoiseBlocker + ZalmanZM-MFC1 Multi Fan Controller/Win7 x64
I'm not a signature,I'm just cleaning here
NuBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-08, 06:05 AM   #264
Hybr1d

I'm really tempted to get FC2 but the lack of widescreen support is putting me. You'd think they'd have thought of it before release, its not like widescreen monitors are rare amongst gamers these days.
Hybr1d is offline   Reply With Quote