Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-29-08, 02:14 AM   #109
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

Default Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread

I kind of agree with butter, the game can get pretty darn depressing at times. The crazy gun lady keeps me in spirits though. Ive played about 4 hours as well, and its grown on me abit. Fighting is barly anything like a fps, most of the time you are setting up for your auto attack shots because you really dont want to waste bullets on misses or hitting non-ideal parts of the body. After the first town you can start doing quite abit of exploring around the area (Quest will having you trek quite some distance, and if you vear off to some areas you can run into other locations along the way and snag an extra quest or two.

While I am having fun with the game, it can more or less be described as oblivion, in the future, with the added expense of needing to buy ammo and lots of health packs. The needing to pickup high value items laying around and suits of armor to use or sell is a throw back all the way to morrowind, and the sleep/wait system is identical. The character creation is very nice and very involved, but when you finally leave the vault.. I had to hit the tab key to make sure I was still playing fallout. Same deal here, you walk througgh a rickey door in a cave and get plopped into the middle of no where, never to set foot back through that door again.

Btw I have seemed to encountered my first bug, if not 2 in quest scripts. One is a quest that seems to have dissapeared, the old man in the water plant disappeared after I fixed the 3 leaks and I dont see quest entry for it. And the children of the atom quest, an optional part of it was looting the drug stash from the locked desk. I looted everything after confronting the guy and convincing him to give it up, but even though the desk is empty the compass points at it and it remains un-fullfiled.

Oh and another thing I noticed, game still has the large flaw of leavig looted corpses linger around for days on end. This is mostly noticable inside the city. 2 bodies left over from a scene in the bar have been sitting on the floor rotting for days.
Old 10-29-08, 02:55 AM   #110
ChaoticNick
o hai

Send a message via AIM to ChaoticNick

that is all.

Digg | Steam | Xfire
ChaoticNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-08, 04:08 AM   #111
Bokishi
NV THIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoticNick View Post

that is all.

EVGA GTX 680
X-Fi Titanium HD
Intel 40GB SSD (SRT Cache)
Hitachi 1TB Boot HDD
7TB Storage HDDs
Coolermaster 750w
Bokishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-08, 04:14 AM   #112
evox
:3

GameSpot gave it 9/10:
Quote:
Fallout 3 is a profoundly engrossing role-playing game just waiting to reveal its deep, dark mysteries.
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/fallo...ry;read-review
evox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-08, 04:32 AM   #113
bob saget

Send a message via MSN to bob saget Send a message via Yahoo to bob saget

havnt played the game yet, but after bioshock's look, the art seems a little stale....
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-08, 05:55 AM   #114
CaptNKILL
CUBE

A friend of mine actually bought this for PC so I got to play it on my system for a few hours.

The first portion of the game, growing up inside the vault, is very well done. It doesn't really feel like any other game I've played at that point.

After you leave the vault you're reminded that this game uses the same engine as Morrowind and Oblivion. The wasteland looks nearly identical to the ashlands of Morrowind, just with a MUCH longer draw distance.

In fact, the overall feel of the game game is much less "Oblivion with guns" and more "Morrowind with guns". The atmosphere and music are extremely similar to Morrowind. I did a lot of random exploring and a couple quests and it has the same kind of "loose" feel as Oblivion, in that it seems like you can do anything you want if you try hard enough so your stats and abilities don't seem to matter much. There is also no sense of urgency to anything and it seems natural to just wander off into the wastelands rather than tend to supposedly urgent matters.

Those bits are pretty disappointing because overall it looks like a pretty damned cool game. The engine still has some of the sluggishness of Oblivion but the framerates are good most of the time. The mouse movement is much smoother than it was in Oblivion, though there appears to be a bit of lag some times, even if the framerates are in the 40s.

I did get stuck in a hole in a pile of junk once and the only way to escape was to fast travel to another location.

The combat is surprisingly good. It allows for an "FPS" approach but you are GREATLY rewarded by using VATS whenever possible. Your shots are far more accurate and you waste a lot less ammo by using vats. If you run out of AP you can manually aim for whatever limb you were focusing on in VATS and it will finish off your target. One gripe I have is that if you are behind a wall or an object and you target an enemy with VATS some times your shots will fire straight into the wall even though you have a 95% hit chance on your target. The game apparently doesn't use the GUN as the source for its line of sight, instead it uses your crosshairs. Also a lot of objects in the world have huge hit boxes around them so you can waste a lot of ammo firing into invisible walls around wrecked cars and piles of rubble. Still, I'm completely impressed by the system because it works so well. Its fun, it has the Fallout feel because its sort of frantic yet strategic and the sound effects are taken straight from the old games. Also the visual action effects are pretty awesome... though heads seem to be cleaved off at the neck rather easily. That kind of looks strange.

The sound effects are some of the best I've heard in a recent game. The gun sounds are punchy and generally pretty realistic, the creature sounds will raise the hair up on your neck and fit everything perfectly.

The graphics... for me are a mixed bag. I've never been a fan of this game engine and it looks no different with Fallout 3. The one thing I really like is the great feeling of depth and size you get, but the graphic quality overall seems pretty outdated. The textures seem kind of random and spotty and the lack of shadows just makes everything look really odd and unrealistic in most cases. Some times the game looks fantastic, but generally it just looks kind of odd and reminds me a lot of the surreal look of Morrowind.

I didn't really get to do a whole lot, but I did go deep into some old abandoned building that had a very Stalker-like feel to it with Bioshock style audio logs laying around telling you a story. That was a pretty cool area and it was surprisingly huge. There was also a cave at the bottom that looked like it was ripped straight from Oblivion.

Overall, I think its probably a good game. If I can get myself to spend the money I'll probably get it for myself. I'm hoping that the flaws I noticed in the role playing system were just there because I put a limited amount of time into the game, but I'm really not expecting anything as rewarding as the skill system in The Witcher, Deus Ex or Vampire: Bloodlines.

EDIT: I just remembered, the skill tagging system has been screwed up pretty badly with this game...

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Tag_Skill
Quote:
In Fallout, Fallout 2 and Fallout Tactics, tagged skills increase at double the rate of an untagged skill (ie. One skill point translates to a 2% increase in the skill). In Fallout 3 however, a tagged skill only gives an initial 15 point boost.
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-08, 06:17 AM   #115
wysiwyg

so it has consolitis?
wysiwyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-08, 06:28 AM   #116
K007

shame about the graphics tho...i wonder why they couldn't keep the same gamestyle as fallout 1/2 in terms the over topview camera.

Hopefully some mods will come out to maybe add high res textures or something, some of the textures in the screenshots look so blurred...
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-08, 07:00 AM   #117
EciDemon

Send a message via ICQ to EciDemon

Thanks CaptNKILL, I was waiting for your opinion on this
Game isn't out here yet but will be tomorrow. Going with the PC version for sure.
EciDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-08, 07:10 AM   #118
XxDeadlyxX
STALKER!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL View Post
A friend of mine actually bought this for PC so I got to play it on my system for a few hours.

The first portion of the game, growing up inside the vault, is very well done. It doesn't really feel like any other game I've played at that point.

After you leave the vault you're reminded that this game uses the same engine as Morrowind and Oblivion. The wasteland looks nearly identical to the ashlands of Morrowind, just with a MUCH longer draw distance.

In fact, the overall feel of the game game is much less "Oblivion with guns" and more "Morrowind with guns". The atmosphere and music are extremely similar to Morrowind. I did a lot of random exploring and a couple quests and it has the same kind of "loose" feel as Oblivion, in that it seems like you can do anything you want if you try hard enough so your stats and abilities don't seem to matter much. There is also no sense of urgency to anything and it seems natural to just wander off into the wastelands rather than tend to supposedly urgent matters.

Those bits are pretty disappointing because overall it looks like a pretty damned cool game. The engine still has some of the sluggishness of Oblivion but the framerates are good most of the time. The mouse movement is much smoother than it was in Oblivion, though there appears to be a bit of lag some times, even if the framerates are in the 40s.

I did get stuck in a hole in a pile of junk once and the only way to escape was to fast travel to another location.

The combat is surprisingly good. It allows for an "FPS" approach but you are GREATLY rewarded by using VATS whenever possible. Your shots are far more accurate and you waste a lot less ammo by using vats. If you run out of AP you can manually aim for whatever limb you were focusing on in VATS and it will finish off your target. One gripe I have is that if you are behind a wall or an object and you target an enemy with VATS some times your shots will fire straight into the wall even though you have a 95% hit chance on your target. The game apparently doesn't use the GUN as the source for its line of sight, instead it uses your crosshairs. Also a lot of objects in the world have huge hit boxes around them so you can waste a lot of ammo firing into invisible walls around wrecked cars and piles of rubble. Still, I'm completely impressed by the system because it works so well. Its fun, it has the Fallout feel because its sort of frantic yet strategic and the sound effects are taken straight from the old games. Also the visual action effects are pretty awesome... though heads seem to be cleaved off at the neck rather easily. That kind of looks strange.

The sound effects are some of the best I've heard in a recent game. The gun sounds are punchy and generally pretty realistic, the creature sounds will raise the hair up on your neck and fit everything perfectly.

The graphics... for me are a mixed bag. I've never been a fan of this game engine and it looks no different with Fallout 3. The one thing I really like is the great feeling of depth and size you get, but the graphic quality overall seems pretty outdated. The textures seem kind of random and spotty and the lack of shadows just makes everything look really odd and unrealistic in most cases. Some times the game looks fantastic, but generally it just looks kind of odd and reminds me a lot of the surreal look of Morrowind.

I didn't really get to do a whole lot, but I did go deep into some old abandoned building that had a very Stalker-like feel to it with Bioshock style audio logs laying around telling you a story. That was a pretty cool area and it was surprisingly huge. There was also a cave at the bottom that looked like it was ripped straight from Oblivion.

Overall, I think its probably a good game. If I can get myself to spend the money I'll probably get it for myself. I'm hoping that the flaws I noticed in the role playing system were just there because I put a limited amount of time into the game, but I'm really not expecting anything as rewarding as the skill system in The Witcher, Deus Ex or Vampire: Bloodlines.

EDIT: I just remembered, the skill tagging system has been screwed up pretty badly with this game...

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Tag_Skill

Good writeup, thanks!
Main PC [Core i7 980X @ 4.3GHz] [Gigabyte X58A-UD7] [7TB of HDDs] [2x Inno3D GTX 480 SLI @ stock] [12GB Team Xtreem 7-7-7-24 @ 1500mhz] [Antec 1200] [Alienware AW2310 (general use/3D Vision) and Samsung 46B650 @ 1080p24] [X-Fi Forte] [Pioneer Blu-ray BDC-S02] [Silverstone Strider 1500W] [Creative Gigaworks S750 7.1] [Windows 7 x64] 3DMark Vantage - 38010
XxDeadlyxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-08, 07:20 AM   #119
CaptNKILL
CUBE

Quote:
Originally Posted by wysiwyg View Post
so it has consolitis?
Eh, not really... surprisingly.

It just has some of the same problems as previous elder scrolls games, though they're much less severe this time around.

The gamebryo engine's graphical limitations are still there (mostly related to lighting), though the engine is steadily improving. The horrid "pea soup" LOD terrain of Oblivion does not exist in this game. Everything looks pretty much the same all the way out to the horizon and this game seems to run better because there isn't any foliage.

The relatively low reliance on skills and stats is also similar to Oblivion, though I didn't get a chance to play it enough to really tell if the system is just perfectly seamless or if it really just doesn't do much. I know I walked out of the vault, walked around a damaged bridge and had no problem slaughtering the Raiders I saw with my pistol and my small weapons skill of ~35. I was playing on medium so I bumped up the difficulty to hard after that. I think I was level 3 when I cleared out a building full of radioactive zombies, and they were tough but definitely not to the point of having to leave and come back when I was stronger. I did wander into a building full of bad asses with assault rifles that totally owned me though. There was no way I could have cleared out that place.

One other thing I forgot to mention earlier has to do with the inventory and weapons. Overall the PIP boy and interface work pretty well and look great but I really wish there was more information\statistics for equipment and a way to sort things in different ways. I haven't noticed any real difference in range or accuracy between a hunting rifle and a pistol, and the damage numbers for weapons that have burst fire are obviously for a 3-4 round burst in VATS which makes it tough to figure out which weapon is really the most powerful (for example a 10mm pistol has a DMG of 6 and a 10mm SMG has a DMG of 24 when it obviously isn't any better shot for shot). This is made a bit more confusing by the "condition" system, where weapons that are worn out actually do less damage. That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. It seems like it could be a way to make enemies and equipment scale without it being too obvious. You may always find low end stuff or enemies with low end equipment but later on it will be in better condition and be significantly more effective.
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-08, 07:43 AM   #120
g-a-m-e
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter Bandit View Post
Played for about 4 hours today, and honestly, I don't think I can play it much more. The game feels too "depressing" and "hopeless". It is like the entire game takes place in a landfill, full of giant bugs, mutants, and dying people. I think the combat works well, and the story is interesting...but it just seems like NOTHING good will ever really happen.

I just...I guess I need at least the "hope" of a happy ending, seems like the best I can hope for when completing a mission in Fallout 3 is to make someone's life, or my own, slightly less ****tier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by breathemetal View Post
That makes me want to play it even more now
Seconded

To hell with happy flowerland , i want desperation

Pc gameplay Benelux (pc games magazine) give it 90 of 100 . In short :

Pro's : Character creation
VATS (whatever that is)
Freedom
Good translation of the original Fallout atmosphere

Neg's : Voice actors, High system requirements.

Conclusion : Fallout 3 offers a deep RPG experience and proves that it is much more then Oblivion with Fire-arms .

Also, i kind of liked Oblivion so this should be good .
g-a-m-e is offline   Reply With Quote