Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-29-08, 01:47 PM   #145
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm
Default Re: Fallout 3 Official Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL View Post
Well I've already said it several times, but here is the basic list...
Sorry, I don't get too much time here at work some days so I don't get to read through a tons of posts.

Quote:
40fps feels choppy and gives you a lot of mouse lag, where as its fine in other games. In Oblivion it was annoying but in Fallout 3 it can be really frustrating because you're trying to accurately shoot at targets that move rather quickly.
I haven't had any performance issues at all. Obviously, there is a 60FPS cap going on but the lowest I've dipped was 53FPS; this was in Megaton.

Quote:
When you try to strafe around things while moving the mouse the screen jitters like crazy (left over from Oblivion). The movement in general is just very jumpy and disconnected feeling, which was not good for a medieval game and is extremely bad for a first person shooter.
Movement is a little crappy, but that's alright for now.

Quote:
The skill and stat systems seem to be secondary features to the player action, which can be good, but the reason games have skill systems is for people to want to improve their character. If the the player's abilities can actually make up for low character skills and stats then the RPG element is basically useless. They took one of the strongest and most rewarding RP systems in a PC game and just fit it into the Oblivion mold where FPS skills can win battles because all that matters is damage output.

You can walk anywhere early in the game without much of a threat as long as you have lots of ammo and stimpaks. I took a 10 minute walk to the area where the super mutants are hiding out near the center of the city and until I ran into them there were barely any enemies around, and the ones that were were just basic raiders. Compare this to Fallout where you actually have to stick to the northern portions of the map for a while because you simply cannot compete with the dangers to the south until you are stronger.
Gotcha. I agree that there should be a limit to where you need to level up, but in a few video reviews I've seen, Level 20 is the highest level and it's not the main focus of the game, according to Bethesda.

Quote:
These are the problems I can think of that actually effect the gameplay. Most of them center around a weak role playing system and a clunky outdated game engine.
The engine is outdated, but I think true fans will pull through for this game and play it either way. It looks alright to me, and yeah, it's nothing to drool about either.

Maybe I haven't played it long enough, but I think it's a fun game to play. I honestly can't wait to play it later tonight.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-08, 01:56 PM   #146
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

hmm, lvl 20 is the highest? is there a way to reset your points? I started bumping up my language skills as a 4th skill and then found that I really needed my repair skill even higher to do normal crap like repair an item above "pile of ****" status. Or does the game expect you to make perfect choices from 1-20?

ohhh a hacking we will go..a hacking we will go..hi ho here we go a hacking we will go!

Quote:
The skill and stat systems seem to be secondary features to the player action, which can be good, but the reason games have skill systems is for people to want to improve their character. If the the player's abilities can actually make up for low character skills and stats then the RPG element is basically useless. They took one of the strongest and most rewarding RP systems in a PC game and just fit it into the Oblivion mold where FPS skills can win battles because all that matters is damage output.
While I have no large weapons nore have I needed to use language skills much, I think the skills play a significant role. A high repair allows you to rebuild weapons to their highest damage, as well as complete special quest. I am guessing the arms skills add increase damage or increased accuracy to the respectable weapons. Language allows you to lie your way to success. It certainly is more refined then what oblivion had. Not quite MMO status where the idea is to stack certain stats for your class, but it works.

Quote:
You can walk anywhere early in the game without much of a threat as long as you have lots of ammo and stimpaks. I took a 10 minute walk to the area where the super mutants are hiding out near the center of the city and until I ran into them there were barely any enemies around, and the ones that were were just basic raiders. Compare this to Fallout where you actually have to stick to the northern portions of the map for a while because you simply cannot compete with the dangers to the south until you are stronger.
A reviewer mentioned this, and I like the logic he used when he said that its actually kind of nice that lower level mobs don't become to easy (and this higher level mobs arn't to hard), thats what happens in the real world. If a raider is a threat to you at level 2... 2 more levels isnt going to make you super man over him. Instead of mob difficulty, levels give you more access to skills, some allowing you to dispatch enemies easier. Maybe sharing some parallels to the game planetside? I find it much better then oblivions horrible auto npc leveling system.
Old 10-29-08, 02:07 PM   #147
CaptNKILL
CUBE

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
I haven't had any performance issues at all. Obviously, there is a 60FPS cap going on but the lowest I've dipped was 53FPS; this was in Megaton.
Megaton runs perfectly fine, but when you go far east and get into the city areas and get into a fire fight it runs pretty much like Oblivion did in the Imperial City. Its not fun trying to aim a bolt action rifle at someone who's running very fast while the frame rate wanders from 60 to 30 and it feels like I'm trying to push my mouse through a pile of sand.

Quote:
Movement is a little crappy, but that's alright for now.
Yeah it wasn't that bothersome until I got into the laggier areas.

Quote:
Gotcha. I agree that there should be a limit to where you need to level up, but in a few video reviews I've seen, Level 20 is the highest level and it's not the main focus of the game, according to Bethesda.
Not sure what you mean here. I wasn't referring to the level cap. From what I've seen so far the game doesn't seem to play much different whether you're fresh out of the vault or at level 4 or 5, which makes the role playing elements seem pointless. The best part about Fallout was the rewarding role playing system. So this being Fallout 3 and having a pointless role playing system is kind of... wrong.

Quote:
The engine is outdated, but I think true fans will pull through for this game and play it either way. It looks alright to me, and yeah, it's nothing to drool about either.

Maybe I haven't played it long enough, but I think it's a fun game to play. I honestly can't wait to play it later tonight.
Yeah, I enjoyed the early bits that I played but it just seemed to go down hill when I started going to more areas and similarities to Oblivion started flooding in.
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-08, 02:12 PM   #148
pault123

I found oblivion would rarely go below 60fps with my outdated 7950gx2, and didn't get ANY issues with none smooth gameplay.

I have since updated my cpu to an E8400 and DDR2 memory so hoping Fallout3 should always be above 60.

I try and strive for 60fps and in some games do feel i can tell the difference between 30-60 contrary to popular opinion.

So hopefully capn the issue is the 8800gtx.

BFG GTX 260 core 216
Intel Q9550 E0
Asus P5Q-E
4gb OCZ DDR2 1066
RaptorX 150gb Gaming Edition
Pc Power & Cooling Silencer 610
Coolermaster 590
Logitech x530 5.1
pault123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-08, 02:54 PM   #149
CaptNKILL
CUBE

Can someone with a quad core (prefebly over 3Ghz) check their CPU core usage while in the eastern city areas in this game? I'm curious as to how the game loads up the cores in the areas where it seems the most system-heavy.
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-08, 03:09 PM   #150
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

Just got the game
Old 10-29-08, 03:48 PM   #151
nomec

Turn off vsync and the mouse lag goes away. Apparently turning off vsync in the game options doesn't even work b/c I still had mouse lag and my fps were capped at 60. I had to FORCE vsync off in my nvidia control panel and my mouse lag was gone and fps above 60.

I also have no stuttering whatsoever and a constant 55+ fps on dual 8800 ultras, 1920x1200, full AA/AF and ultra settings. Might have to wind up dropping AA/AF a bit if I get to places with more people around but honestly when I walked in the first city where there is more going on my framerate went up. I think it was lowest when I was in the wilderness and the draw distances are really long.
nomec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-08, 04:18 PM   #152
qube
Bored sins birth

will try it tomorrow whit my new gtx280 after i sleept my beuty sleep after i worked nightshift

Old 10-29-08, 04:27 PM   #153
Yaboze

I'm digging it so far (PC version), I think it looks good. But...I crashed on exit and had to play with tab and stuff to close it out.

Yaboze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-08, 04:42 PM   #154
WCG

Besides the fact that it crashes when I exit (vista) it's awesome, cruisin through the metro tunnels with a hunting rifle blowing off ghouls heads.
WCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-08, 05:01 PM   #155
Odral
True Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jAkUp View Post
Just got the game
Show us some awesome screenshots when you get a chance jAkUp
Odral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-08, 05:17 PM   #156
hirantha
SUC SUDO

yay i got it!! i'm at work so took a pic!

Look me up in AION and GW2
Game Tag: Famorak
hirantha is offline   Reply With Quote