Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-14-09, 08:21 PM   #1177
CaptNKILL
CUBE

Default Re: Fallout 3 Feedback Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoplasym View Post
Wow, are you serious? It doesn't look like the Polygon count for models OR anything to do with Texture quality has been improved upon. This is my opinion though. I see yours is vastly different, lol. The 'only' difference I would note is that there are LOTS of rock models in FO3s' world whereas Oblivion has gorgeous moving/living grass everywhere.

Oooh wait... I did notice a difference in the quality of the Sun/HDR between the two games. FO3 it looks stunning... but hell, it looks almost as good in Oblivion. Other than that 'one' element, I see no difference. I don't remember the water looking any better in FO3 either.

Lol, sorry to pick on you but ummm, why (lol) are you forcing 8xAA at that high of a resolution? That's silly. At the most, 2xAA should be plenty sufficient at 1650x1050.

I play my games at 1280x1024 (and 4xAA is all I need), 8 and 16xAA don't look any better on my 17" CRT.

Unless you're playing on a 15" Monitor, I don't see the point of you running such high AA.

I'd love to hear your reasoning though.

cheers
Just FYI, 1680x1050 is almost no different detail-wise than 1280x1024. It shows more of the picture horizontally, not more detail. I can see 4x-8xAA being noticeable since that res really isn't all that high for a decent sized screen. I run at 1600x1200 or 2048x1536 in all my games on a 22" CRT.

Also, CRTs are 4:3 and 1280x1024 is a 5:4 resolution meant for LCDs, so you're seeing a distorted image any time you use that.

As for the graphical differences between Fallout 3 and Oblivion, Oblivion had prettier scenery that actually looked like something, rather than a big mess of shadowless grey splotches but Fallout 3 has better distant terrain quality (no "pea soup" LOD terrain). The overall quality of the models and textures is pretty average in both games. The complete lack of any kind of lighting or shadowing on the scenery makes both games look pretty ugly to my eyes.
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-09, 08:43 PM   #1178
trivium nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
Fallout 3: Point Lookout should release on June 23rd
a new dlc?
42"Vizio TV-1920x1080-1080P-120Hertz//Win 7 Ultimate(64)//XBox360-pc controller
Saitek Eclipse 2 keyboard//Razer DeathAdder Mouse//250gb-Xbox 360//160gb-PS3
trivium nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-09, 08:51 PM   #1179
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

yap
Old 06-14-09, 09:46 PM   #1180
trivium nate

whats it about
42"Vizio TV-1920x1080-1080P-120Hertz//Win 7 Ultimate(64)//XBox360-pc controller
Saitek Eclipse 2 keyboard//Razer DeathAdder Mouse//250gb-Xbox 360//160gb-PS3
trivium nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-09, 10:51 PM   #1181
Bigbuck

Send a message via MSN to Bigbuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by trivium nate View Post
whats it about
http://fallout.bethsoft.com/eng/info/pointlookout.html
Bigbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-09, 10:45 AM   #1182
Protoplasym

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
Fallout 3: Point Lookout should release on June 23rd
What's the point of even buying these EXPs piece by piece.... when the GOTE is coming out this fall with all patches/etc included?

I wish I hadn't even bought the game when it came out... should have just waited....
Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio
2 GBs DDR 2 [800] RAM
ASUS MB

280 Legit Games installed

(2) 500 GB drives
(1) 80 GB drive (houses the OS only)
Protoplasym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-09, 11:06 AM   #1183
Protoplasym

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL View Post
Just FYI, 1680x1050 is almost no different detail-wise than 1280x1024. It shows more of the picture horizontally, not more detail. I can see 4x-8xAA being noticeable since that res really isn't all that high for a decent sized screen. I run at 1600x1200 or 2048x1536 in all my games on a 22" CRT.

Also, CRTs are 4:3 and 1280x1024 is a 5:4 resolution meant for LCDs, so you're seeing a distorted image any time you use that.

As for the graphical differences between Fallout 3 and Oblivion, Oblivion had prettier scenery that actually looked like something, rather than a big mess of shadowless grey splotches but Fallout 3 has better distant terrain quality (no "pea soup" LOD terrain). The overall quality of the models and textures is pretty average in both games. The complete lack of any kind of lighting or shadowing on the scenery makes both games look pretty ugly to my eyes.
I see no difference between 1280x1024 and anything higher... not on my 17" CRT anyway, lol. Daaaaaaaaayum.... a 22" CRT, that's badass dude!! I 'might' move up to a 19" one of these days, but I don't think so... I truly enjoy sitting up close to my 17... it's all I've ever needed and I feel like I'm in my games, but respect, that 22" must take up a decent amount of space and I bet it looks bloody amazing.

"Also, CRTs are 4:3 and 1280x1024 is a 5:4 resolution meant for LCDs, so you're seeing a distorted image any time you use that."

Lol... are you sure? I know 1280x960 is 4:3... so I suppose me upping the horrizontal a bit, 'might' just throw off that aspect ratio. Funny you mention it... there are some games that only do 1280x960, but whenever they allow 1280x1024, I choose it, it's a 'bit' more space... although x960 is plenty sufficient as well. Hell, my experiences with all 3 F.E.A.R. games (the originals, I don't have 2 yet) yielded some interestingly weird results... it was butter 90% of the time, but there were plenty of times when the frames went bad, and it was usually during "in between hallway" sections with no badguys in sight.... right after I finished Perseus Mandate, I noticed in the graphics (don't ask me why I was lookin there after I finished the game, lol) that "1280x1024" is an unsupported resolution... hahaha, I guess when I play those 3 again, I'll try 'em at 1280x960 to see if I notice any difference.

Overall though, lol.... I know what you mean, but 'I' wouldn't call it a distorted image, it's sooo clear and pristine looking.

"Fallout 3 has better distant terrain quality (no "pea soup" LOD terrain)."

Hmmm, interesting... you know... I forgot about that... shoot. Yeah, I guess the background looks a lil clearer in FO3... you know what though.... lemme find these real quick and I'll post 'em (they're available in both games)...

http://www.tweakguides.com/Fallout3_9.html

"uGridsToLoad=5 - Increasing the uGridsToLoad value (always in odd steps of 5,7,9,11 etc.) will increase the number of grids around the character in which full texture and object data will be loaded up and visible as they wander around. This improves overall visual quality by increasing graphical detail on more distant game world elements. Indeed certain objects and structures which were otherwise not visible before will now be visible. The higher the value, the more you will see of the game world in return for a sharp drop in framerate, and noticeably longer loading times. There may even be more prominent stuttering as well, not to mention the possibility of visual glitches and the greater likelihood of crashes due to the extra memory usage. Unlike Oblivion, in my testing using a value of =11 I didn't see any visual glitches in Fallout 3 at all, however my performance fell by more than half, and I eventually experienced a crash to desktop. As you increase the uGridsToLoad value, you may want to also increase the uExterior Cell Buffer value to accommodate the greater cell data and prevent crashes and stuttering. Note: It appears that if you save a game with a higher value for this variable, you cannot then lower the value again as your saved game will no longer load properly. So on balance the default value of 5 for uGridstoLoad is a good compromise between visual detail, performance and loading pauses, though high-end machines can try higher values, but make sure your system can handle it in a range of areas before committing to it by saving your game (Fallout.ini)."

That is a serious thing to mess with...... the first time I loaded up FO3, I had to try that out, and OMFcrikeys..... it looked insanely badass.... everything in the distance was viewable, I think I changed the value to 11 as suggested by the writer. I was barely getting 15 fps though (had everything else turned up).... I saw that Oblivion has the same Parameter in it's .ini file although... honestly, I didn't feel like messing with the stability of the game and I think it's gorgeous enough as it is.

But bottom line, thanks for pointing that out because I'd forgotten that FO3 does do that a 'lil' better than Oblivion. Another really cool thing I noticed with FO3 (not sure if Oblivion does this as well) is that, the way the Line of 'maximum' viewing Distance 'if you will' is drawn/redrawn is different than other games of similar size and scope.

Say you're looking at a mountain off in the distance and the LOD line just barely crossed over it and now the mountain is pretty clear from where you're standing.... Morrowind (with MGE enabled mind you) and other similar games upon moving back and forth a couple feet would move that LOD line back and forth/back and forth/back and forth, but with FO3 (I think ESIV does this too), that line doesn't go back and forth like typical games, it's almost as if a new range of LOD viewing has been created so that the player isn't constantly seeing the LOD line being redrawn on the horizen.

I tried to word that as best as possible ^... if I failed... I'm sorry, lol.

I think the models and textures look great, but hey, I still think IDTech 1 looks cool, so...

"The complete lack of any kind of lighting or shadowing on the scenery makes both games look pretty ugly to my eyes."

Now that's interesting... I think the lighting and shadows are superb looking. The lighting is a lil bright, but imo: that HDR is disgusting! Shadows looked about as good as any other top notch DX9 title I think.

Anyhoot
2 GBs DDR 2 [800] RAM
ASUS MB

(2) 500 GB drives
Old 06-15-09, 02:47 PM   #1184
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoplasym View Post
What's the point of even buying these EXPs piece by piece.... when the GOTE is coming out this fall with all patches/etc included?

I wish I hadn't even bought the game when it came out... should have just waited....
The same reason anyone buys anything anywhere near its release... we want to play it, and consider it worth the money.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-09, 04:25 PM   #1185
Protoplasym

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
The same reason anyone buys anything anywhere near its release... we want to play it, and consider it worth the money.
Fair enough.... reason I ask was specifically related to the fact that upon the 'first' DLC being announced: Bethesda claimed that DLC and all subsequent DLC releases would 'only' be availble through being purchased/installed online.

After speaking with them about the GOTE coming out this Fall, they said that is not the case anymore... and that the GOTE will have all 5 EXPs and not need Internet to be installed.

It pleases me on one end because I didn't purchase any of the DLCs (never intended to, because they require the player to be online just to play them), but it pisses me off on the other hand because Bethesda lied about how these DLCs were going to be sold in the end.... combine that with the fact that they did absolutely 'zero' BETA testing on FO3 and on nothing but the latest driver sets = my frustration with them as of late.
2 GBs DDR 2 [800] RAM
ASUS MB

(2) 500 GB drives
Old 06-15-09, 04:37 PM   #1186
Yaboze

I can't wait for this, I hope there's a patch soon, too, game is crashing like a mofo.
Yaboze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-09, 04:38 PM   #1187
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

I don't remember them saying they would never be released any other way. I remember them staying quite mum on the subject, really. Also, a disc release of The Pitt and Anchorage was announced quite a while before the GotY edition.

And FYI, you don't need to be online to play the DLC from Live!.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-09, 05:37 PM   #1188
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaboze View Post
I can't wait for this, I hope there's a patch soon, too, game is crashing like a mofo.
not sure if patch will help, usually they just add next DLC support.