Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-28-08, 05:23 AM   #1
kanttu

Default Bad colors with any nvidia drivers

Ok. So I bought a new LCD, (Viewsonic VX2835wm) 28" 1920x1200. And after using it very first time I observed that about 1/3 of the pixels at last row are green, another 1/3 magenta. Of course I first thought they're 'dead' pixels but then I noticed that they appear only when I use "nvidia" drivers. There is no problem when I use plain "nv" drivers. Also the picture is much brighter / better when "nv" drivers are used.

I have tested all recent "nvidia" drivers that support my 9800 GTX but they all make the colors more dark and add green/magenta crap

I have also noticed that the colors blink (green channel goes on and off, or something like that) every few seconds when using twinview with my 1920x1080 Mirai (hdmi), but I don't know if these problems are releated.

I hope you can help me. Thanks in advance.
kanttu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-08, 05:31 AM   #2
kanttu

Default Re: Bad colors with any nvidia drivers

nvidia-bug-report.log:
Your file of 179.8 KB bytes exceeds the forum's limit of 146.9 KB for this filetype.
Old 10-28-08, 07:10 AM   #3
kanttu

Ok, here it is packed.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (34.4 KB, 96 views)
Old 10-28-08, 06:38 PM   #4
kanttu

Ok, I found this one is very releated http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=121111

Using custom edid.bin solves the problem and the picture is much better although it's always used the native 1920x1200 resolution.

Even I solved my case, I achieved it by spending hours doing research with google and friends.

NVIDIA: Just fix your crappy drivers or go open source!
Old 11-19-08, 02:37 AM   #5
starmate23

Thumbs up Re: Bad colors with any nvidia drivers

Hello,

I have the exact same problem, but how do you do a custom edid.bin file? Any place where I can get a tutorial on how to do it?
Would you be kind enough to share yours to us?

Thanks for the info

Jon
starmate23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-08, 03:19 AM   #6
kanttu

Quote:
Originally Posted by starmate23 View Post
I have the exact same problem, but how do you do a custom edid.bin file? Any place where I can get a tutorial on how to do it?
To be honest, I have no idea how to create a custom edid.bin file. I downloaded mine from the thread I linked above.

Though I haven't yet tested if 180.x drivers would fix this problem, but atleast my flat screen television (Mirai) works now better with recent nvidia drivers, so it seems they fixed something edid releated.

What's the model of your monitor?
Old 11-19-08, 03:34 AM   #7
slanbarn

Using the 'nvidia' driver you use the application 'nvidia-settings', expand your connected monitor in the panel to the right and choose "aquire edid" to the right in the application...

Then use the nvidia-specific xorg.conf option:

Option "CustomEDID" "string"

For more info see: "X Config Options", http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree8...ppendix-b.html

The version for hte readme should not matter...
slanbarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-08, 03:42 AM   #8
starmate23

Thanks very much for you replies.

My monitor is a Viewsonic vx2835wm. I will try to aquire the edid.bin and will tell if it works!

Thanks,

Jon

Old 11-20-08, 02:12 AM   #9
starmate23

Thumbs up Re: Bad colors with any nvidia drivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanttu View Post
To be honest, I have no idea how to create a custom edid.bin file. I downloaded mine from the thread I linked above.

Though I haven't yet tested if 180.x drivers would fix this problem, but atleast my flat screen television (Mirai) works now better with recent nvidia drivers, so it seems they fixed something edid releated.

What's the model of your monitor?
Thanks a lot. I did the exact same thing and it worked! That saved me lots of time
Old 03-15-09, 11:00 AM   #10
kanttu

I just tried 185.13 with the display I specified above and I _still_ need to use CustomEDID in order to get it working properly!

Why can't you just fix this problem?