Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Rumor Mill

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-29-02, 08:43 AM   #1
Stavros

Post NV30 Design Change???

Quote:
As for the companyís NV30 chip, industry sources revealed that the postponed launch is due to a design change, not a yield rate problem in Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Companyís (TSMC) 0.13-micron process as market rumors suggested. Hoping to enhance the productís overall performance to compete with ATIís top-end Radeon 9700 PRO, the sources suggested that Nvidia may alter its original six-pipeline architecture to an eight-pipeline one.
Only six pipes??

quote taken from Digitimes dot com

Machine Spec (all product names have been removed to protect the innocent from being called a fanboy)

a processor with the performance capability of 2.8Ghz, a motherboard, 1Gb of some make of memory, A video card (with latest drivers), A sound card and some other bits all in a case connected to some brand of monitor.

Last edited by Stavros; 08-29-02 at 08:47 AM.
Stavros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-02, 08:56 AM   #2
Stavros

In response to my own post, it would seem that Nvidia are worried about the 9700 PRO, if they are making last minute changes in design and if the original design for the NV30 had 120m transitors using 6 pipes whats that going to be with 8

I don't pretend to know anything about processor design or construction, in fact I know diddly squat

Machine Spec (all product names have been removed to protect the innocent from being called a fanboy)

a processor with the performance capability of 2.8Ghz, a motherboard, 1Gb of some make of memory, A video card (with latest drivers), A sound card and some other bits all in a case connected to some brand of monitor.
Stavros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-02, 09:42 AM   #3
SurfMonkey
QuadCore G80 PS3 Overload

Location: In a small room surrounded by vast, inscrutable, machines...

The number of transistors you need decreases with each additional pipeline you add.

My guess its that the change occured because the 6 pipeline design was only as good as the R300. They want something better. And now both cards have 8 pipelines. My only worry here is that nVidia designed the memory controller around a 6 pipeline design and will now have to find a way to increase the bandwidth in order to feed the extra pipes. 256bit bus anyone?

"Halflife2 got halfway around the world before Gabe had a chance to get his pants on."
Anon
SurfMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-02, 09:54 AM   #4
Bigus Dickus
GF7 FX Ti 12800 SE Ultra

Quote:
Originally posted by SurfMonkey
The number of transistors you need decreases with each additional pipeline you add.
I take it you mean per pipe?

I've had a feeling as well that some modification might have been done to enhance performance to compete with the R300, but adding two pipelines was beyond what I had suspected (and this is still completely a rumor, nothing more). I thought perhaps they had increased the memory controller from 128 to 256 bit, which would fit in with previous comments by NVIDIA as well as current rumors.

Who knows? I'm tired of guessing about it... it's still several months away.
Bigus Dickus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-02, 10:16 AM   #5
SurfMonkey
QuadCore G80 PS3 Overload

Location: In a small room surrounded by vast, inscrutable, machines...

Yeah, my bad. I meant pipe. I would guess that changes would include increased memory bus, additional pipes. Plus the silicon they have got back from TSMC might have given them a clue as to what extras they could include and what didn't work as planned.

The rumoured hardware that they had way back, when the original tapeout supposedly occured may have been the original 6 pipe design and that is what they have designed their drivers and NV30 emulator around. And that maybe where those controversial pictures came from. It woudl also explain why the CEO stated that it, NV30, hadn't taped out after he said it had. Because they had changed the design and the prior version was no longer part of the game plan. Though it would make a V.Nice mid to low range card.

You should have a look at the NV30 OpenGL specs that have just arrived with the new Dets and the NV30 Emulator. Things are definately starting to heat up.

"Halflife2 got halfway around the world before Gabe had a chance to get his pants on."
Anon
SurfMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-02, 02:33 PM   #6
DadGT

Well this thread is now useless as Derek Perez has flatly denied that NV30 was redesigned at the last minute to add extra pipelines. Who do you believe more: a website that needs hits to get ad money to stay in business or a company employee who can get sued and lose everything they own plus the company lots of moeny for telling false statements to the press? That's right, the SEC would look very unkindly on Derek Perez for telling lies. My money is on Derek's quote.

However, the nvmax blurb about this mentions multiple models. Hmm, is the mysterious NV28 actually an NV30 with fewer pixel pipelines? Guess we will just have to wait and see.
DadGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-02, 04:12 PM   #7
Bigus Dickus
GF7 FX Ti 12800 SE Ultra

Quote:
Originally posted by DadGT
However, the nvmax blurb about this mentions multiple models. Hmm, is the mysterious NV28 actually an NV30 with fewer pixel pipelines? Guess we will just have to wait and see.
I believe that's rumored to be the NV31. NVIDIA is very consistent with their naming scheme: any GPU based on the NV30 core will have an NV3x name. It's always been that way.
Bigus Dickus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-02, 08:32 PM   #8
suburbanguy

I highly doubt NV30 was only 6 pipelines, and now they are changing it to 8 pipelines. I believe NV30 has been 8 pipelines all along. Also, I highly doubt that NV30 is undergoing a redesign.
Perhaps some last miniute tweaks to give it a greater edge over R300 but nothing in the way of design changes.
suburbanguy is offline   Reply With Quote