Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-30-09, 06:38 PM   #1033
Redeemed

Default Re: Left 4 Dead Feedback Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
It's not like every game has been supported like TF2 though, that is a unique case.

And yes, I know comments were made comparing them by Valve.
Which is why many are disappointed. Maybe Valve should have clarified their intentions a little. If they didn't have any intention of supporting L4D like they do TF2, then they should have said so- not gotten everybody's hopes up.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-09, 06:45 PM   #1034
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

For what it's worth, I think L4D has been supported pretty well.

The initial game and the subsequent additions and now the new DLC which is free for PC users, the continued patches and updates. All these things are part of supporting the community.

TF2 has more overall content but the game is not the same as L4D, nothing else is and nothing else requires the same level of team-work to complete.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-09, 08:06 PM   #1035
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
For what it's worth, I think L4D has been supported pretty well.

The initial game and the subsequent additions and now the new DLC which is free for PC users, the continued patches and updates. All these things are part of supporting the community.

TF2 has more overall content but the game is not the same as L4D, nothing else is and nothing else requires the same level of team-work to complete.
L4D got supported "ok" but way below the valve standard. I mean CS:S and CS1.6 has seen more support then L4D and it brought it more money then TF2 did so why the lack of support?

Simple, they know they can make even more money with a sequel so they see no reason to continue support for a product that will no longer bring in profit. Again, the single campaign they just released took over atleast over a month to create with consistent work being done and yet is far worse then many community campaigns that took abit longer to release but were being developed as side projects with probably far less man hours involved. They put no heart into it because its a simple get it out there to fake support for a soon to be dead game.

If valve really cared about L4D1's future they would announce that L4D2 would be fully compatible with L4D1 so you don't have to jump between games when deciding which friend to play with. It wouldn't be hard since L4D2 is nothing more then a mod of the original, same engine and I bet same lobby system.
Old 09-30-09, 08:41 PM   #1036
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
If valve really cared about L4D1's future they would announce that L4D2 would be fully compatible with L4D1 so you don't have to jump between games when deciding which friend to play with. It wouldn't be hard since L4D2 is nothing more then a mod of the original, same engine and I bet same lobby system.
Haven't they basically said they are probably going to do this? Confirmation would be nice, but they did state their intentions.

As for support, Left 4 Dead was supported better than 99% of other games... if it wasn't Valve, no one would complain. That says a lot, in my opinion.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-09, 08:55 PM   #1037
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
As for support, Left 4 Dead was supported better than 99% of other games... if it wasn't Valve, no one would complain. That says a lot, in my opinion.
Thats my problem, that is is valve. I expect ALOT more from them and I feel like they are changing for the worse. I believe they are getting greedier with their IPs and are realizing if they take the mentality of the big players like EA and Activision they can make alot more money.

The fact that their modding tools have not been upgraded since the original Half-Life says alot about their support for the community. The biggest complaint from mappers was that Hammer is old fashioned and behind in functionality when compared to many other mapping software yet valve has made no effort to improve it since Half-Life 2's release.
Old 09-30-09, 09:43 PM   #1038
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Lower your expectations then.

L4D has probably offered more value than any other game other than maybe TFC, Counter Strike and it's variations and Quake.

I also would like the vendor to do various things and yes, it would be nice if L4D2 was released as an add-on rather than a new game but, cést la vie.
Old 09-30-09, 10:32 PM   #1039
|MaguS|

Quote:
L4D has probably offered more value than any other game other than maybe TFC, Counter Strike and it's variations and Quake.
So it offers less value then any other major online game, yay? Shouldn't the goal be to top previous games, not provide less?

Quote:
I also would like the vendor to do various things and yes, it would be nice if L4D2 was released as an add-on rather than a new game but, cést la vie.
L4D2 doesn't have to be an addon, it could be a standalone title that just merges with L4D1 on the multiplayer side of things if the player has both. It should be able to switch between campaigns of either game easily to help gamers play with friends who have only one or the other.
Old 09-30-09, 10:36 PM   #1040
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
So it offers less value then any other major online game, yay? Shouldn't the goal be to top previous games, not provide less?
Compared to other major releases over the past few years, it offers a lot more value. I understand your points of contention, no need to get snarky

Quote:
L4D2 doesn't have to be an addon, it could be a standalone title that just merges with L4D1 on the multiplayer side of things if the player has both. It should be able to switch between campaigns of either game easily to help gamers play with friends who have only one or the other.
For what you proposed, it would have to be like an add-on to be seamless. I understand what you are saying, again, and suggested an add-on setup because that would offer the most seamless integration and allow Valve to continue working on both L4D and L4D2 with maximum efficiency and reducing costs.

Old 09-30-09, 10:58 PM   #1041
|MaguS|

Quote:
For what you proposed, it would have to be like an add-on to be seamless. I understand what you are saying, again, and suggested an add-on setup because that would offer the most seamless integration and allow Valve to continue working on both L4D and L4D2 with maximum efficiency and reducing costs.
Basically it would go back to the old style of having a Stand-Alone Expansion Pack that if it detected the original game installed opened up options from the original game or "enhanced" the original game.

Basically if you had the original and the expansion and played an mp game in the expansion you would have content from the original but if you did not have the original installed you can still play the expansion but content would be missing, in the case of L4D2 you would be missing the original campaign forcing you to only be able to play the campaigns available in L4D2.
Old 10-01-09, 12:28 AM   #1042
ATi
RooR

Quote:
. I believe they are getting greedier with their IPs and are realizing if they take the mentality of the big players like EA and Activision they can make alot more money. .
+1 yup
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB 2 x 4GB 1648
HD1.5tb
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium
corsair620HX
Windows7 64 home premium
Dell LED G2210
ATi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-09, 02:19 AM   #1043
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Fwiw, crash course is not a bad map. It's definitely really, really short but, in versus, it's a lot of fun
Old 10-01-09, 05:11 AM   #1044
BioHazZarD
USCM Marine

Send a message via MSN to BioHazZarD

Is anyone having sound issues with this crash course ? i hear some weird miltary alarm that goes and all my sound and voices gets almost muted.. when its over things go back to normal.. i never had this issue before.. i dont understand is this bug or supposedto hear a alarm ?
Chieftec Miditower /w 5 case fans | Corsair 620W HX PSU | Asus M4N98TD EVO SLI | AMD Athlon2 X2 260 3,2GHz | Corsair 3GB PC3-10666 | eVGA Geforce GTX 460 1GB (336shader) | Samsung Spinpoint x2 250GB HD +SATA 320GB | SB Audigy 4 @ 2.1 | Samsung Syncmaster BX2331 TFT 23" running 1920x1080@60hz | Windows XP PRO SP2 | |
BioHazZarD is offline   Reply With Quote